An Old School Catholic Message Board

Carmelite Habit

Strictlyinkblot

AccountDeleted

[quote name='Aya Sophia' timestamp='1319419448' post='2325949']
I have had close contact over the last couple of years with Carmelite and Visitandine (live-ins with the latter) communities. Both have the full, traditional habits of their Orders but each fits their charism perfectly. The Carmelites are simple, down to earth (literally - they are often on the floor, prostrating, kneeling, sitting on a very low prayer stool, etc.) and even a bit rough and the fabric, the cut, the hang of the habit all fit this ethos perfectly. The Visitandines, on the other hand, are gentle and more refined - they don't "knock about" much. Their habit has a more subtle cut to it and is worn carefully by the Sisters. They also seem to have more developed traditions and customs regarding the habit than do the Carmelites. So, both have full traditional habits but their design and use are very different.
[/quote]

Very good point Aya - I thinnk that there is a lot of common sense in the way each community chooses their habit. After all, they did have to review and consider possible changes after Vat 2 and they all made the changes they felt where needed for their own individual needs. And your point about the Visitation makes sense too. I have a friend discerning with them and I always tell her that I couldn't wear their habit! :P But it was nice to hear that not all the Visitations use as many pins as the ones at Tyringham.....

Chiara Francesco

If I remember correctly after reading a bio on St. Jane de Chantal, St. Francis de Sales designed the first habit - and it is NOT the one worn now! - and when St. Jane and the other 2 founding Mothers saw it they sort of said a resounding and in unison, "No no you didn't!" about the habit he picked!

Now I could be a little or a lot off but this is very strong in my memory! It was like a "what does a man know about a habit for woman - use, ease of wearing, etc.- so of course, being the gentle and loving saint and the saint of humility, he acquiesced to the women!

I can't remember what he had in mind off hand now, wish I did! If I remember or can find it I'll post it but not sure if I will.