An Old School Catholic Message Board

Seriously, You Guys...

marigold

I just logged on and half of all the topics that showed up were Carmelite-related. I feel like there is a bias on this forum.

Well, you will need to start posting lots of threads telling us all about the Orthodox convent you will soon be entering! Seriously, I would love to hear more, even after reading their website word for word.

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='Clare~Therese' timestamp='1319410226' post='2325856']
What can I say?
The Carmelites and the Dominicans are taking over and Dominicarmelizing everything. :hehe2:
[/quote]

VS DOES go through cycles. At this time last year it was all Dominican.

But, there are SO many other Orders and Communities and I KNOW at least some VS folks are interested in those.

My only concern is that just by having so many Carmelite (or Dominican) posts, Carmelite practices (through no fault of the posters) will seem "standard" or even "correct" when in fact, there isn't just one right way (although the Carmelites might disagree with me on that.) LOL

I don't know whether we simply realize that VS DOES go in cycles and ride it out (so to speak) or whether we suggest setting up sub-forums so that it doesn't seem as if the posts concerning one Order are dominant in VS.

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='cmariadiaz' timestamp='1319411165' post='2325868']
Well if it is any consolation I am most partial to the Franciscans.
[/quote]

Last summer we had two women who entered the Franciscans in August, so we did get more Franciscan-related comments.

I think we're always going to have more comments about the largest Orders--that's inevitable. But, like the OP, I've felt lately as if a LOT of the discussions were related specifically to Carmel, as opposed to discussions that could apply to any Order.

However, as I said before, I don't want ANYONE to feel discouraged from posting comments, questions--whatever--about ANY Order. I think we're just going through a Carmel phase right now, that might well be a Franciscan phase in two months--or whatever.

brandelynmarie

[quote name='marigold' timestamp='1319409366' post='2325852']
I just logged on and half of all the topics that showed up were Carmelite-related. I feel like there is a bias on this forum.
[/quote]

Hence the newest Dominican video. :) I probably could dig up videos about the Maronite Rite because I am most familiar with them. Iggy is correct about how topics come & go in VS. Maybe at some point you could you start some threads about monasticism or monastic chant in the Orthodox Church... I would love to learn about some of the similarities & differences. I am just not too familiar with it to know if I am posting something legit or not.

Edited by brandelynmarie

AccountDeleted

I think it also depends on who has entered. We might have a lot of one community or Order and then those posters enter somewhere and can't post, so we are left with those who haven't entered yet! :P (like me) And this time I am discerning Benedictine, so I too feel a little overwhelmed by Carmelites and Dominicans... but maybe a few of them will enter and then we will have VS to ourselves :lol:

Well all being well I will be a Carmelite disappearing soon :bananarap: Personally, its the clothes threads that get me because I really don't care if a community wears jeans and a t-shirt, if its there God calls me, then there I will go.

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1319414750' post='2325904']
I think it also depends on who has entered. We might have a lot of one community or Order and then those posters enter somewhere and can't post, so we are left with those who haven't entered yet! :P (like me) And this time I am discerning Benedictine, so I too feel a little overwhelmed by Carmelites and Dominicans... but maybe a few of them will enter and then we will have VS to ourselves :lol:
[/quote]

I'd LOVE to hear more about the Benedictine Community you are discerning with. "In This House of Brede" is one of my favorite books, so I'll be very interested to hear what is different and what is the same.

IgnatiusofLoyola

Another thing we can think about is what we title our threads--

Just for an example (and there was NOTHING wrong with the title as it was!!!) the thread about the trousseau for Carmel, in the end really had only a limited content specific to Carmel, while much of it could apply to almost any Order. (Well, except those hideous knitted shorts! LOL They might SHOW under a Dominican habit--well, maybe not.)

AccountDeleted

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1319415476' post='2325909']
Well all being well I will be a Carmelite disappearing soon :bananarap: Personally, its the clothes threads that get me because I really don't care if a community wears jeans and a t-shirt, if its there God calls me, then there I will go.
[/quote]

I learned this lesson over time too. I do love the trad habits, but having been in a variety of situations and different clothing, I think it wouldn't matter if we wore potato sacks, as long as I could be part of a community dedicated to God, and reciting the Divine Office :) :love:

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' timestamp='1319415494' post='2325911']

I'd LOVE to hear more about the Benedictine Community you are discerning with. "In This House of Brede" is one of my favorite books, so I'll be very interested to hear what is different and what is the same.
[/quote]

Iggy, I can't say much more about it than Adele did (Sr Marie Therese) on the Colwich Novitiate blog over the two years she was there. It is so beautiful to read her journey, and even when she left them, she left with such grace and courtesy on the blog, that it makes me feel that they must be a very special community of women. They didn't feel at all threatened to let her say her goodbyes,
not only to the community, but to the world at large, to the readers she had at the time, and to all who have read the blog since then. This tells me that they have nothing to hide.

I do urge you to read her blog - it may not be as detailed as In This House of Brede (one of my favourite books too) but it covers her daily and weekly struggles and joys and triumphs, and is so honest. And her last post always makes me feel a sense of wistfulness and sadness that she left them, but wishing for her future happiness as well. She reminds me of me, someone who keeps trying hard to find God's will in her life, and learning along the way. And since she left, they have kept up the blog in a sporadic way... I wish they had a postulant or novice to post more because Mother Davina is obviously too busy to keep it up herself very often. I check back all the time, but there hasn't been much posted since the last Come and See Weekend.

If you like Benedictines (and can handle murder mysteries), I loved the Cadfael books and the Sr Frevisse books (these were wirtten by Margaret Frazer and are very historical accurate). I would like to buy the Cadfael BBC TV series on DVD but can't afford it and I wish they would make one for the Sr Frevisse books too. Of course, these are very medieval times, but it is still nice to read.

edit: messed up the quotes!fixed!

Edited by nunsense

[quote name='Clare~Therese' timestamp='1319410226' post='2325856']
What can I say?
The Carmelites and the Dominicans are taking over and Dominicarmelizing everything. :hehe2:
[/quote]

And carmelizing! ^_^