An Old School Catholic Message Board

Seriously, You Guys...

marigold

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1319422352' post='2325985']

I have had to ovecome my own negative feelings about Benedictines too. I used to equate all of them with the 'rebel nuns' and wondered why they supported Sr Joan Chittister and and Sandra Schneider who seemed to be defiant of the Vatican.

But then once upon a time I couldn't even say the name 'Jesus without cringing since I had problems with Evangelical Christians and their proseltysing. Now the name of Jesus warms my heart and fills me with love.

In a similar way, I have learned to discern the Benedictines who are 'doing their own thing' and those who have always been faithful and obedient to the magesterium. I was very intolerant, tarring all Benedictines with the same brush...

I think that it has taught me a lesson about not judging communities without first-hand information, or at least very well founded information. I suppose one could say that I am judging Srs Chittister and Schneiders but there I am going on what they have spoken and written, and I disagree with their points of view, so my opinion (although it is my own and therefore subject to dissent from others) is as well founded as I can make it without actually speaking to these sisters.

With Benedictines, they have been around so long and there are so many different communities that they can't be considered as realtively homogenous as Carmelites are. Also, Benedictines are not as strictly enclosed, so they have been influenced by the world they live in - perhaps a bit more than the Carmelites who have been a very insular institution over the years. This is changing now but it is only fairly recently that they have had so much contact with the world.

We might benefit from hearing DigitalDame's input on Benedictines as she has first hand experience as one for many years!
[/quote]

I know exactly what you mean. I was also very distraught over hearing about Joan Chittister's POV, so it was affecting my view of Benedictine life. I thank the websites of the Benedictines of Mary and the other beautifully habited Benedictines for helping me overcome that negative outlook and not paint them with the same brush. I mean, when faced with a picture like this, what's not to like? ;)

[img]http://www.wdtprs.com/images/10_05_15_Benedictines_04.JPG[/img]

For me, part of the attraction is the significant differences in how certain members of the Benedictine family live the charism. There is a sense of variety even within communities like the Tyburn nuns for example due to the cultural differences between the foundations. I personally like that.

As to certain 'rebel nuns'....well I simply leave them to God. After 6 years of pretty in depth letters I hope I know what a Benedictine is and after I get down there, I will know more.

[quote name='Chiquitunga' timestamp='1319422772' post='2325997']

I know a funny story of a Prioress (not Iron Mt./Buffalo nor Valp or Elys.) who sometimes puts a fake, but very real looking, tarantula between the double grilles in their parlor when speaking to guests! :hehe: I think this is very much in the spirit of St. Teresa .. you know the quote :rolleyes: Lord, deliver us from sullen faced saints!

[/quote]

Think I need to add "fake tarantula" to my trousseau list for Carmel!

But we all know Franciscans rule over all the earth. Come to the [s]dark[/s] Franciscan side! (as other posters have said :) ) I spent the whole day with Franciscans :love:

brandelynmarie

:topsy:

Really? Even ..

a tarantula!

okay, I refrained from posting a picture, but you can look it up :o Speaking of though .. I know a funny story of a Prioress (not Iron Mt./Buffalo nor Valp or Elys.) who sometimes puts a fake, but very real looking, tarantula between the double grilles in their parlor when speaking to guests! :hehe: I think this is very much in the spirit of St. Teresa .. you know the quote :rolleyes: Lord, deliver us from sullen faced saints!

Am I caramelizing this thread enough? :smile4:
[/quote]

Yes, you are carmelizing this thread quite well! :harhar:

brandelynmarie

[quote name='Pax_et bonum' timestamp='1319423425' post='2326006']
But we all know Franciscans rule over all the earth. Come to the [s]dark[/s] Franciscan side! (as other posters have said :) ) I spent the whole day with Franciscans :love:
[/quote]

I hear the [s]dark [/s]Franciscan side has cookies, I could possibly be swayed... :think:.

Edited by brandelynmarie

[quote] But we all know Franciscans rule over all the earth. Come to the [s]dark[/s] Franciscan side! [/quote]

But.....but.....Benedictines have better cookies....*lures all to cookies* :evil:

brandelynmarie
:giveup: Maybe there should be a community bake-off...altho for many of us a [i]bake sale [/i]would be more appropos! rotfl Edited by brandelynmarie

ATTENTION! ATTENTION! *** LAME BOARD ALERT ! ! ! *** This thread is rapidly deteriorating into lameness! (Oh, and by the way, Carmelites have Guinness)

Ahem....yes must get back on track. :hehe2: Yes, the wine is in the rule but I forgot about it being a non drinker. For me the other thing about them is the nerdiness. The libraries are sometimes called the "arsenal of the monastery" and books being a personal vice of mine...well having so many books is simply divine. I've seen pictures of the local Tyburn priory library and last time I spoke with RMC on the phone she was sorting through a book donation of 20 boxes of books and I told her that sounded like heaven to me. She said that she needed someone to work in the library and all I could do was smile with itchy fingers. That is one of the places I cannot wait to see.

brandelynmarie

Oh no...not again! rotfl

(Guinness, huh? :havebeer: I think Dominicans do the wine thing too :french: , but don't quote me on that. :) )

And now we're back to your regularly scheduled program. :rap:

:topsy:

Really? Even ..

a tarantula!

okay, I refrained from posting a picture, but you can look it up :o Speaking of though .. I know a funny story of a Prioress (not Iron Mt./Buffalo nor Valp or Elys.) who sometimes puts a fake, but very real looking, tarantula between the double grilles in their parlor when speaking to guests! :hehe: I think this is very much in the spirit of St. Teresa .. you know the quote :rolleyes: Lord, deliver us from sullen faced saints!

Am I caramelizing this thread enough? :smile4:
[/quote]

Ok, maybe I watch YouTube too much because that reminded me of THIS:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xe2VSiSQFyU[/media]

That's funny. It reminds me more of this .. :smile4:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Sz1j2Z7GQc[/media]

What has this thread become!! :hehe: :tomato:

okay, time to get off the computer! :P

Edited by Chiquitunga