An Old School Catholic Message Board

Patron Saints 2012

Lil Red

Nola Seminarian

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1320992198' post='2334786']
It's that time of year again....the new year of the Church is coming up fast - November 27!

This is a beautiful Catholic devotion. Basically the idea is that I put together saints names in a basket, and draw one for anyone who wants one, after praying over the basket with your name in mind. The patron saints for this coming year that are in the mix: the "standards", converts, imprisoned/prisoners, martyrs, families, and the poor. Please, pass this onto anyone who you think would like a saint picked for them. Here's a little more on this devotion:

[i]Religious orders, both male and female, particularly in the 1800's and early 1900's got into the habit of drawing a saint's name at the close of each year, and that saint would be their "patron" for the coming year. St. Faustina writes about this in her diary, but it was not an unusual practice at all. The saying is, "you don't choose the saint, the saint chooses you - that in the realm of the Eternal, they know better than you what your needs for the coming year will be, and so they "choose" to be with you, through it. But the point is to not simply pull the saint but then develop a bit of a relationship with him/her -ie, learn about them, include them in your prayers, ask them to pray for you, and (when praying) to join you in prayer -that sort of thing.[/i]

[color=#4B0082]“There is a custom among us of drawing by lot, on New Year's Day, special Patrons for ourselves for the whole year. In the morning during meditation, there arose within me a secret desire that the Eucharistic Jesus be my special Patron for this year also, as in the past. But, hiding this desire from my Beloved, I spoke to Him about everything else but that. When we came to refectory for breakfast, we blessed ourselves and began drawing our patrons. When I approached the holy cards on which the names of the patrons were written, without hesitation I took one, but I didn't read the name immediately as I wanted to mortify myself for a few minutes. Suddenly, I heard a voice in my soul: ‘I am your patron. Read.’ I looked at once at the inscription and read, ‘Patron for the Year 1935 - the Most Blessed Eucharist.’ My heart leapt with joy, and I slipped quietly away from the sisters and went for a short visit before the Blessed Sacrament, where I poured out my heart. But Jesus sweetly admonished me that I should be at that moment together with the sisters. I went immediately in obedience to the rule.”[/color]

Excerpt from Divine Mercy in My Soul, the Diary of St. Faustina

If you would like a saint, message me with your name or if you are comfortable, post here. please tell me a little of yourself (if i don't already know you): student? discerning? oldest/youngest sibling? any worries about the coming year? etc....

BTW, don't feel like I'm ignoring you if I don't pm you with your saint right away. I'm hoping to go to Confession tomorrow and Mass before I draw for saints.
[/quote]

hey, im late to the party, can i still have one please

[quote name='Nola Seminarian' timestamp='1323222732' post='2345957']

hey, im late to the party, can i still have one please
[/quote]
you bet ;) you received St. Adelaide of Burgundy.

• 3 weeks later...
Nola Seminarian

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1323373318' post='2347480']
you bet ;) you received St. Adelaide of Burgundy.
[/quote]

thanks... i need to do some research on that one!

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' timestamp='1325024355' post='2358252']
Hello hello, I could use all the saints and help I could get. Pick a saint, help out this nutcase, thanks
[/quote]

[url="http://saints.sqpn.com/saint-elizabeth-of-hungary/"]St. Elizabeth of Hungary[/url]

:) Patron saint of lots of different groups of people.

Ooo can I have a saint? :)

Gretchen, college student graduating in May, getting married in June. My biggest concern is working everything out financially.

Ash Wednesday

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1325042221' post='2358403']
[url="http://saints.sqpn.com/saint-elizabeth-of-hungary/"]St. Elizabeth of Hungary[/url]

:) Patron saint of lots of different groups of people.
[/quote]

Thank you. Among other things, patron saint of in-law relationships. I hope that doesn't indicate something of this upcoming year, my mother in law wants to come visit us. We get along great but... still... I'm potentially going to be a little stressed about all that. :ninja:

Oooh, can you pick one for me, Red? Somehow I missed this post back in November. I'm currently discerning marriage (aka lookin' for a man!) and trying to get a little more settled in my life. :)

[quote name='Tantum Ergo' timestamp='1325049673' post='2358461']
Ooo can I have a saint? :)

Gretchen, college student graduating in May, getting married in June. My biggest concern is working everything out financially.
[/quote]
St. Louis IX :)

[quote name='morostheos' timestamp='1325136755' post='2359161']
Oooh, can you pick one for me, Red? Somehow I missed this post back in November. I'm currently discerning marriage (aka lookin' for a man!) and trying to get a little more settled in my life. :)
[/quote]
you received two! St. Charles Borromeo and [url="http://saints.sqpn.com/blessed-mary-of-jesus-crucified/"]Bl. Mary of Jesus Crucified[/url]. :)

• 1 year later...
AuthorOfMyLife

Hello, Lil' Red! Thank you for offering this. It's an unfamiliar tradition for me!

I confess I'm a little nervous to ask for a patron, since I have special patrons already (St. John Bosco, St. Teresa of Avila, St. Bernadette--and, of course, my Confirmation saint--the Blessed Mother)--and I don't want to neglect them! However, I understand this is an invitation to form a relationship with a particular saint--and I think that's beautiful.

So...I could really use some help in the coming year. I'm turning 26 this year and want to pursue religious life, but I can't do that unless my health improves, and my health won't improve unless I become courageous enough to try new treatments (I'm so afraid to try new things that might help--but might also hurt). I want so much for this new year to be the one in which my health issues stop holding me back, but the fact is I'm probably holding myself back by not being proactive enough! Also, special intentions for my mother and my sister to heal (physically and emotionally) are intensely in my prayers right now.

Thank you again and God bless you! I will keep you in my prayers.