Lil Red Posted November 21, 2011 Author Posted November 21, 2011 [quote name='sacredheartandbloodofjesus' timestamp='1321857491' post='2338852'] My names Daniel, I'm 22 and discerning religious life.... Please draw a saint for me! [/quote] St. Margaret Clitherow.
cmaD2006 Posted November 21, 2011 Posted November 21, 2011 [quote name='Pumpkin' timestamp='1321594235' post='2337795'] Thanks, Lil Red! I'm actually rather bemused with this selection, given my agnosticism. It's a strange coincidence that I've received two of the Church's most influential thinkers! [/quote] Well if you're into agnosticism ... heh. Both St. Augustine and St. Ignatius have very strong conversion stories. St. Ignatius' Spiritual Exercises are a direct result of that conversion (well a lot of it is drawn from his experience).
TheresaThoma Posted November 22, 2011 Posted November 22, 2011 Since you had to put them back in the bowl I'm curious to see if anyone else will end up with my patron as well. I got St Joan of Arc!
MissScripture Posted November 22, 2011 Posted November 22, 2011 Lil Red, I'm just curious, how do you decide which Saints to put in?
Lil Red Posted November 22, 2011 Author Posted November 22, 2011 [quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1321938938' post='2339335'] Lil Red, I'm just curious, how do you decide which Saints to put in? [/quote] well, of course, there's what i call the 'standards' like St. Anthony, St. Joseph, Mary, Jesus, St. Patrick, St. Michael, St. Francis of Assisi, etc... Then it just varies, year to year, which other patrons I add to the mix...if the Holy Father has declared 'the year of' something or not, what's going on in our world, etc... The year of priests, it was patron saints of priests or those who had influenced priests.
StKate Posted November 27, 2011 Posted November 27, 2011 Hey Red, is it too late to get in on the Saint selection? If not, please do select one for me! 37 year old busy businesswoman, not discerning but am an avid student of the history of religious communities. Trying to be a more devoted Catholic and need all the Saintly help I can get!
beatitude Posted November 27, 2011 Posted November 27, 2011 Thank you so much, Red. A secret: I've never really got on well with St Thomas Aquinas. I knew I ought to respect him, but - he seemed so distant and dull. I hope this year will be an opportunity for us to become better friends.
Lil Red Posted November 29, 2011 Author Posted November 29, 2011 [quote name='StKate' timestamp='1322367786' post='2341061'] Hey Red, is it too late to get in on the Saint selection? If not, please do select one for me! 37 year old busy businesswoman, not discerning but am an avid student of the history of religious communities. Trying to be a more devoted Catholic and need all the Saintly help I can get! [/quote] i know you cross-posted over at my blog, but just to be sure you see who you received, i'm posting here. You received Our Lady of the Rosary.
StKate Posted November 30, 2011 Posted November 30, 2011 [quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1322598727' post='2342241'] i know you cross-posted over at my blog, but just to be sure you see who you received, i'm posting here. You received Our Lady of the Rosary. [/quote] THANK YOU Red! So interesting - and definitely God's working through you - one of my New Year's resolutions that I had already written down was to finally learn the Rosary. Ashamedly, I never learned in my youth. Thanks again!
fides quarens intellectum Posted December 5, 2011 Posted December 5, 2011 [quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1321217205' post='2335764'] the Holy Spirit picked for you Our Lady of Mount Carmel you received St. Adelaide of Burgundy hi, you received Mary, specifically under her title as Mother of God. [/quote] thanks!!
Nola Seminarian Posted December 7, 2011 Posted December 7, 2011 [quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1320992198' post='2334786'] It's that time of year again....the new year of the Church is coming up fast - November 27! This is a beautiful Catholic devotion. Basically the idea is that I put together saints names in a basket, and draw one for anyone who wants one, after praying over the basket with your name in mind. The patron saints for this coming year that are in the mix: the "standards", converts, imprisoned/prisoners, martyrs, families, and the poor. Please, pass this onto anyone who you think would like a saint picked for them. Here's a little more on this devotion: [i]Religious orders, both male and female, particularly in the 1800's and early 1900's got into the habit of drawing a saint's name at the close of each year, and that saint would be their "patron" for the coming year. St. Faustina writes about this in her diary, but it was not an unusual practice at all. The saying is, "you don't choose the saint, the saint chooses you - that in the realm of the Eternal, they know better than you what your needs for the coming year will be, and so they "choose" to be with you, through it. But the point is to not simply pull the saint but then develop a bit of a relationship with him/her -ie, learn about them, include them in your prayers, ask them to pray for you, and (when praying) to join you in prayer -that sort of thing.[/i] [color=#4B0082]“There is a custom among us of drawing by lot, on New Year's Day, special Patrons for ourselves for the whole year. In the morning during meditation, there arose within me a secret desire that the Eucharistic Jesus be my special Patron for this year also, as in the past. But, hiding this desire from my Beloved, I spoke to Him about everything else but that. When we came to refectory for breakfast, we blessed ourselves and began drawing our patrons. When I approached the holy cards on which the names of the patrons were written, without hesitation I took one, but I didn't read the name immediately as I wanted to mortify myself for a few minutes. Suddenly, I heard a voice in my soul: ‘I am your patron. Read.’ I looked at once at the inscription and read, ‘Patron for the Year 1935 - the Most Blessed Eucharist.’ My heart leapt with joy, and I slipped quietly away from the sisters and went for a short visit before the Blessed Sacrament, where I poured out my heart. But Jesus sweetly admonished me that I should be at that moment together with the sisters. I went immediately in obedience to the rule.”[/color] Excerpt from Divine Mercy in My Soul, the Diary of St. Faustina If you would like a saint, message me with your name or if you are comfortable, post here. please tell me a little of yourself (if i don't already know you): student? discerning? oldest/youngest sibling? any worries about the coming year? etc.... BTW, don't feel like I'm ignoring you if I don't pm you with your saint right away. I'm hoping to go to Confession tomorrow and Mass before I draw for saints. [/quote] hey, im late to the party, can i still have one please
Lil Red Posted December 8, 2011 Author Posted December 8, 2011 [quote name='Nola Seminarian' timestamp='1323222732' post='2345957'] hey, im late to the party, can i still have one please [/quote] you bet you received St. Adelaide of Burgundy.
Lil Red Posted December 27, 2011 Author Posted December 27, 2011 if you don't have one yet, better get while the gettin's good!
Nola Seminarian Posted December 27, 2011 Posted December 27, 2011 [quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1323373318' post='2347480'] you bet you received St. Adelaide of Burgundy. [/quote] thanks... i need to do some research on that one!
Ash Wednesday Posted December 27, 2011 Posted December 27, 2011 Hello hello, I could use all the saints and help I could get. Pick a saint, help out this nutcase, thanks
Lil Red Posted December 28, 2011 Author Posted December 28, 2011 [quote name='Ash Wednesday' timestamp='1325024355' post='2358252'] Hello hello, I could use all the saints and help I could get. Pick a saint, help out this nutcase, thanks [/quote] [url="http://saints.sqpn.com/saint-elizabeth-of-hungary/"]St. Elizabeth of Hungary[/url] Patron saint of lots of different groups of people.
Tantum Ergo Posted December 28, 2011 Posted December 28, 2011 Ooo can I have a saint? Gretchen, college student graduating in May, getting married in June. My biggest concern is working everything out financially.
Ash Wednesday Posted December 28, 2011 Posted December 28, 2011 [quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1325042221' post='2358403'] [url="http://saints.sqpn.com/saint-elizabeth-of-hungary/"]St. Elizabeth of Hungary[/url] Patron saint of lots of different groups of people. [/quote] Thank you. Among other things, patron saint of in-law relationships. I hope that doesn't indicate something of this upcoming year, my mother in law wants to come visit us. We get along great but... still... I'm potentially going to be a little stressed about all that.
morostheos Posted December 29, 2011 Posted December 29, 2011 Oooh, can you pick one for me, Red? Somehow I missed this post back in November. I'm currently discerning marriage (aka lookin' for a man!) and trying to get a little more settled in my life.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now