An Old School Catholic Message Board

Please Be Careful

faithcecelia

Chiquitunga

Just saw your new post. Thanks for your explanation there :like: Just have a small comment on one thing you said.

This is very true. However, there is a psychological explanation for the phenomenon that happens with Ouija boards. It also explains dousing. The psychics thing is completely false. I can show you a whole host of youtube links explaining the technique of hot and cold reading and exposing these horrible frauds. 

I don't doubt that that this is true at all. And about the Ouija boards, I am sure that the vast majority of the time what you described before regarding people moving the thing (subconsciously or not, etc) is definitely true. But whether the psychic or what makes the Ouija board thing (whatever it's called, glad I don't know) move is the direct intervention of a demon/s is irrelevant still to my point. Simply being involved with these things can open the door to the devil/s. They are a sin against the First Commandment for one thing. 

CatholicsAreKewl

That is completely true. There are many possible causes for a possession or the other degrees of demonic infestation/oppression, etc. We're just saying though that those things such as psychics, Ouija boards, etc. can (not always) open the door for a demon/s to enter a person. You were saying in your first post here that you don't believe that anymore, and that you felt you were misled to believe some crazy stuff by priests.

Oh, yes. I don't believe that psychics and ouija boards open portals for demons to enter a person. I think the priests that told us this were doing us an injustice. Imagine how that would affect an eleven year old OCD child. After we did all we were instructed, nothing changed.  We were just extremely paranoid for the time being. It turns out our family was merely dealing with excessive stress. 
Outside of the personal, I believe that it is the priest's duty to investigate these matters in more detail. Our understanding of exorcism thousands of years ago is not applicable anymore. People once believed demons caused all sorts of ailments, until we realized what they really were. We should be open to evidence that some of these alleged causes of possession are outdated so we can differentiate between what is innocuous and what is dangerous. 

About your comment regarding fear before, personally none of this makes me fearful or worried at all, just aware (and gratefully aware) of the reality of it and the seriousness of avoiding such things, not only because psychics as you say are cheats and jerks. Also many of these things aren't connected to going to someone like that and being cheated anyway. They should all just be avoided altogether.
This is an interesting point. The reason why these things are forbidden is because they were thought to be real. If going to a psychic would open up portals for demons to enter one's life, would going to a magic show with magicians reproducing these same tricks yield the same results? I honestly think the exorcists could be wrong about this. 
Edited by CatholicsAreKewl

CatholicsAreKewl

Sorry, just to be clear, I've never actually played with a ouija board. One of my parents went to a psychic and that's what I was specifically referring to. 

CatholicsAreKewl

Just saw your new post. Thanks for your explanation there :like: Just have a small comment on one thing you said.

I don't doubt that that this is true at all. And about the Ouija boards, I am sure that the vast majority of the time what you described before regarding people moving the thing (subconsciously or not, etc) is definitely true. But whether the psychic or what makes the Ouija board thing (whatever it's called, glad I don't know) move is the direct intervention of a demon/s is irrelevant still to my point. Simply being involved with these things can open the door to the devil/s. They are a sin against the First Commandment for one thing. 

Well, that depends on how you would use the ouija board, I believe. If we were to play it without calling upon spirits, I don't see how that would break the first commandment. When I referred to psychics, I was specifically referring to people you go to for tarrot card readings,  communication with dead relatives, readings into your past and future, astrological readings, etc. 

Edited by CatholicsAreKewl

Chiquitunga

Back to possessions that happen through no fault of the person, one unusual case was that of Blessed Mariam of Jesus Crucified, OCD (not obsessive compulsive disorder :j) Our Lord allowed her to be possessed on two different occasions, which is described in this book - Mariam "The Little Arab"   available from the Carmel of Maria Regina for $8 here - http://aquerofoundation.com/id19.html  lol, this might get labeled as spam  :proud:

From religious orders not in communion with the Church to possessions and everything in between. I love these kind of threads.  

I was thinking that exact thing regarding this thread... oh my.... Just to make it clear to anyone who reads this now or in the future, these two topics - the religious community and possessions are not related, although I've somehow brought the subject back to Carmel :smile3:

Chiquitunga

Just saw your new posts. First I want to make sure you know, my comment and little smiley regarding OCD (Ordo Carmelitarum Discalceatorum) was written before I saw your posts.. definitely wouldn't have written that if I saw them.

This is an interesting point. The reason why these things are forbidden is because they were thought to be real. If going to a psychic would open up portals for demons to enter one's life, would going to a magic show with magicians reproducing these same tricks yield the same results? I honestly think the exorcists could be wrong about this. 

Personally, I would not go to a magic show myself. But these two scenarios you describe are different. In one someone is intentionally trying to get information about their future/or loved ones who died, etc. The other is, in most cases I think at least (wouldn't know) not doing that. 

Well, that depends on how you would use the ouija board, I believe. If we were to play it without calling upon spirits, I don't see how that would break the first commandment. When I referred to psychics, I was specifically referring to people you go to for tarrot card readings,  communication with dead relatives, readings into your past and future, astrological readings, etc. 

It would still be trying to "unveil" things like someone's future from a source that is not of God. I believe this would still fall into this description the new Catechism gives of sins against the First Commandment. (and I know you do not believe this, but evil spirits do not have to be directly called upon to act)

2116 All forms of divination are to be rejected: recourse to Satan or demons, conjuring up the dead or other practices falsely supposed to "unveil" the future.48 Consulting horoscopes, astrology, palm reading, interpretation of omens and lots, the phenomena of clairvoyance, and recourse to mediums all conceal a desire for power over time, history, and, in the last analysis, other human beings, as well as a wish to conciliate hidden powers. They contradict the honor, respect, and loving fear that we owe to God alone.

Chiquitunga

Oh, yes. I don't believe that psychics and ouija boards open portals for demons to enter a person. I think the priests that told us this were doing us an injustice. Imagine how that would affect an eleven year old OCD child. After we did all we were instructed, nothing changed.  We were just extremely paranoid for the time being. It turns out our family was merely dealing with excessive stress. 

Outside of the personal, I believe that it is the priest's duty to investigate these matters in more detail. Our understanding of exorcism thousands of years ago is not applicable anymore. People once believed demons caused all sorts of ailments, until we realized what they really were. We should be open to evidence that some of these alleged causes of possession are outdated so we can differentiate between what is innocuous and what is dangerous. 

I am really sorry your family went through so much stress and were not given the help you really needed :( As you said before, priests are human. Some do a better job than others.

Still I trust the knowledge and experience of modern exorcist priests and I do not think the discernment of the one in my diocese was incorrect regarding the open door being from the crystals. 

That is true about advances in modern science regarding the true cause of ailments. And many illnesses back then were thought to be possessions/infestations (or because of sin) I am sure. But I do not think this means that - therefore - all of these different things cannot open the door to evil, "this sounds medieval so it must be false" etc.

Okay, have a blessed night sleep :sleep2:  I'm not sure I'll come back to this conversation as I'm not much into debating online... takes up too much time and energy and as I said, I don't think I can prove anything to anyone really over an internet forum. I will say a prayer for you though and your family. Please pray for me too :pray:

p.s. I like your screen name! :cool:

CatholicsAreKewl

Just saw your new posts. First I want to make sure you know, my comment and little smiley regarding OCD (Ordo Carmelitarum Discalceatorum) was written before I saw your posts.. definitely wouldn't have written that if I saw them.

hahaha, no offense taken. 

Personally, I would not go to a magic show myself. But these two scenarios you describe are different. In one someone is intentionally trying to get information about their future/or loved ones who died, etc. The other is, in most cases I think at least (wouldn't know) not doing that. 

True but this situation gets more complicated. Penn Jillette, that weird atheist magician who defended Catholicism against Piers Morgan, noted that after one of his shows someone asked him if she could speak to her dead loved one. The trick he had performed earlier was so convincing that the audience member refused to believe him when he repeatedly ensured her that he didn't have that ability.

Let's imagine a situation in which someone was to pretend to talk to the dead while telling the audience that this was a big sham. Some members of the audience come to the show convinced that he is forced to lie and claim his "powers" aren't real. They show up with the intention of speaking to their dead loved ones. Would this open up portals for demons to enter into these people's lives? 

CatholicsAreKewl

I am really sorry your family went through so much stress and were not given the help you really needed :( As you said before, priests are human. Some do a better job than others.

Sorry, I did not mean to make the story emotional. It was too far back for me to care anymore. I was only trying to give an example of mistakes like this happening. 

Still I trust the knowledge and experience of modern exorcist priests and I do not think the discernment of the one in my diocese was incorrect regarding the open door being from the crystals.

That is fine too. Like I said, I'm not completely denying the possibility. I'm just skeptical. 

That is true about advances in modern science regarding the true cause of ailments. And many illnesses back then were thought to be possessions/infestations (or because of sin) I am sure. But I do not think this means that - therefore - all of these different things cannot open the door to evil, "this sounds medieval so it must be false" etc.

Well, if the logic is that it opens the doors to evil because certain acts are a result of supernatural forces, then I might question that claim. If the doors to evil were opened due to the intentions of the persons involved, it would make more sense. 

Okay, have a blessed night sleep  :sleep2:  I'm not sure I'll come back to this conversation as I'm not much into debating online... takes up too much time and energy and as I said, I don't think I can prove anything to anyone really over an internet forum. I will say a prayer for you though and your family. Please pray for me too  :pray:

No worries. I like to think of it as a discussion, not a debate. Thanks for the prayers, I'll send some towards you too. 

p.s. I like your screen name!  :cool: 

Thanks I like yours too, very original. This is turning into a compliment-off.