An Old School Catholic Message Board

Newt Gingrich Controversies

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Norseman82' timestamp='1327164556' post='2372661']
Apples and oranges. I have a CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT to be religious and own guns (which would take 2/3 of Congress and the majority of all houses of the legislature in 38 states to reverse). Smoking pot does NOT have that constitutional protection.
[/quote]
What about drinking alcohol?

Further, you don't have a "consitutional right". You have a right that the Constitution specifically recognizes.

Edited by Winchester

PhuturePriest

[quote name='kujo' timestamp='1327173525' post='2372724']
LOL...

You're funny.

Massachusetts wasn't "destroyed" by Romney-Care.

And refer to Winchester's posts at the end of the previous page re: Newt's "big government" predispositions. He's a progressive, my dear friend. He's a Fed-lovin' progressive who is on-record as saying that he "loves" Teddy Roosevelt, the father of the progressive movement. While I am absolutely not a fan of Glenn Beck, he is DEAD ON about this:

[url="http://www.theblaze.com/stories/beck-can-hardly-believe-that-gingrich-actually-calls-himself-a-realpolitik-wilsonian/"]http://www.theblaze....itik-wilsonian/[/url]

EDIT: I'd also respond to your desire for a "recent" example of Newt being pro-big government is unfair, mainly because Newt hasn't held elected office in something like 10 years! But then again, you knew that, which is why you said what you did. But I learned my lessons about sneakiness from one of the best Adam Sandler movies ever:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lYBVi3ALWA&feature=related[/media]
[/quote]

Well, first, I deny any allegations claiming he is a progressive. He's for smaller government, lower taxes, way less regulations, big military, etc. Perhaps, you should listen to him speak instead of listening to other people speak about him. The thing is, people are biased. There is no such thing as an unbiased News Channel, or unbiased opinion. When you learn things about Gingrich, you're not hearing it from him, you're hearing it from other people. Listen to him speak on Youtube or on a debate, and you can hear an unbiased opinion for once.

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1327174021' post='2372732']
Well, first, I deny any allegations claiming he is a progressive. He's for smaller government, lower taxes, way less regulations, big military, etc. Perhaps, you should listen to him speak instead of listening to other people speak about him. The thing is, people are biased. There is no such thing as an unbiased News Channel, or unbiased opinion. When you learn things about Gingrich, you're not hearing it from him, you're hearing it from other people. Listen to him speak on Youtube or on a debate, and you can hear an unbiased opinion for once.
[/quote]

Newt Gingrich has an unbiased opinion about himself?

PhuturePriest

[quote name='jaime' timestamp='1327174183' post='2372737']
Newt Gingrich has an unbiased opinion about himself?
[/quote]

He definitely knows what he believes in. He definitely has a great track record. If Newt Gingrich is as liberal as people say, then why did Ronald Reagan love him?

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1327173130' post='2372720']
Oh really? Show me one case where Gingrich is for big government, and make it recent.

Romney made Romney-care, and it destroyed Massachusetts. Massachusetts is bankrupt because of it. Plus, abortions are payed through it. You can't vote for him for that reason. And let's not forget that when Obamacare was made, Mitt Romney said it was a great idea and a great invention.
[/quote]

[img]http://wirednewyork.com/bridges/brooklyn_bridge/images/brooklyn_bridge_wtc.jpg[/img]

[size="7"]This bridge, my dear sir, may be yours for a mere $300. Are you interested in purchasing it? You seem like an astute individual who would be eager to jump upon this fantastic deal. [/size]

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1327174326' post='2372740']
He definitely knows what he believes in. He definitely has a great track record. If Newt Gingrich is as liberal as people say, then why did Ronald Reagan love him?
[/quote]

You are frustratingly gullible. The idea that you intend to someday be a Priest should give earnest Catholics serious pause about the future of clericalism.

[/quote]

I'm not sure you know what unbiased means. Maybe you're thinking unfiltered. But nobody can have an unbiased opinion about themself

knock off the ad hominem attacks, people, and address the points that FuturePriest is bringing up, even if you think his points are simplistic.

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1327174441' post='2372743']
You are frustratingly gullible. The idea that you intend to someday be a Priest should give earnest Catholics serious pause about the future of clericalism.
[/quote]

that's a cheap shot. address his points without name-calling

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1327174021' post='2372732']
[/quote]

You can deny it all you want, sir. But the fact is that his word--which I have absolutely listened to during the process of vetting the candidate that I will be voting for on Jan. 31st-- is far different than the deeds and actions that are ON THE RECORD. Matter of fact, he is absolutely ON THE RECORD espousing progressive values. Perhaps you should do a little bit of research on Woodrow Wilson and Teddy Roosevelt, among others, and then come back and tell us what parts of those 2 men's presidencies YOU would like your future president to replicate!

EDIT: I'd also like to say that I lived through the 90s and remember a lot of Newt and his cohort's antics. For me, these experiences are REAL, not just stuff I read in a textbook.

[/quote]

What part of his track record is "great," as you say. Give me specifics.

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1327174441' post='2372743']
[/quote]

While he may be gullible, please don't take it to the insulting level. The arguments themselves give us more than enough ammunition without stooping to the personal level.

Edited by kujo

[quote name='jaime' timestamp='1327174506' post='2372744']
I'm not sure you know what unbiased means. Maybe you're thinking unfiltered. But nobody can have an unbiased opinion about themself
[/quote]

I happen to know, for a fact, that I am a beaver dam-fine looking guy. This is empirically-accurate. No doubt about it.

::flamesuit ACTIVATE::

[quote name='kujo' timestamp='1327175474' post='2372753']
I happen to know, for a fact, that I am a beaver dam-fine looking guy. This is empirically-accurate. No doubt about it.

::flamesuit ACTIVATE::
[/quote]

Get rid of your phishy tag so I can give you props

[quote name='jaime' timestamp='1327175606' post='2372756']
Get rid of your phishy tag so I can give you props
[/quote]

I will humbly-accept your props, even if my stance on gay marriage and contraception earns me a "phishy" tag!

Newt Newt Newt Newt NewtNewtNewtNewtNewtnewtnewtnewtnewtnewtnewtn... what the GOSH DARNED MONKEY TOOTHPASTE! NEWT. EWTN. Newt. Ewtn. Ewtn. Newt. OH MAN! Gotta go vote for the Newt!