An Old School Catholic Message Board

Newt Gingrich Controversies

PhuturePriest

PhuturePriest

[quote name='MIkolbe' timestamp='1327179634' post='2372814']
PROPA!

Ron Paul, don't hurt 'em
[/quote]

I think his ideas on the Military are suicide. Pulling our troops out of Korea will lead into North Korea invading South Korea, which will lead us into helping them, which will lead into a World War, considering their allies and our allies. The only thing stopping the North Koreans is the American presence in South Korea, and with us gone they'll be drooling.

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1327176928' post='2372768']
All I've seen so far is things that happened twelve years ago, low shots, and uncharitable posts. I refuse to comment any further until you act like adults. This is why I made such a big emphasis on stopping these posts at the very beginning, but I was ridiculed for that. If your defense is "You're gullible and not Priest-worthy" then your defense is terrible, and you need to rethink your charity skills.
[/quote]

I apologize for the comment about your competency for the Priesthood and the abrasive tone in general. That was a cheap shot, unkind, and unnecessary, particularly since you're 15. While calling you 'frustratingly gullible' was too abrasive, particularly given your age, labeling your comments and attitude here as gullible is something I stand by. At 15 you are plenty old enough to apply basic critical thinking skills to politics. I'm not talking about your knowledge of political facts. I'm talking about the reasoning you have presented to defend your support of Newt Gingrich against the assertions against him.

Edited by Hasan

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1327179847' post='2372815']
I think his ideas on the Military are suicide. Pulling our troops out of Korea will lead into North Korea invading South Korea, which will lead us into helping them, which will lead into a World War, considering their allies and our allies. The only thing stopping the North Koreans is the American presence in South Korea, and with us gone they'll be drooling.
[/quote]
I think Ron Paul is the only consistent candidate when it comes to the central message of the role of government. The other candidates all want to get rid of big government...EXCEPT when it comes to the military. Romney has said that he wants to create a military so powerful that nobody would ever consider challenging it. I heard Santorum on CSPAN the other day pretty much say that he does not include the military when he talks about getting rid of big government. Ron Paul is the only one who understands that the military is as much as part of the "big government" we have as any other agency. Being against big government except when it comes to the military is like going on a diet except when you're eating. Of course, Ron Paul does not want to get rid of the military, he wants to keep it within the self-chosen limits of a free society.

Edited by Era Might

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1327179847' post='2372815']
[/quote]

and about 5000 mines.

[quote name='Era Might' timestamp='1327180234' post='2372823']
I think Ron Paul is the only consistent candidate when it comes to the central message of the role of government. The other candidates all want to get rid of big government...EXCEPT when it comes to the military. Romney has said that he wants to create a military so powerful that nobody would ever consider testing it. I heard Santorum on CSPAN the other day pretty much say that he does not include the military when he talks about getting rid of big government. Ron Paul is the only one who understands that the military is as much as part of the "big government" we have as any other agency.

Being against big government except when it comes to the military is like going on a diet except when you're eating.
[/quote]

It's really not. When conservatives talk about 'big government' they are almost always talking about regulations and welfare and that's the part of government that most of their base considers too big. Their position is only contradictory is you insist on being absolutely literal with political language. Which is not well advised.

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1327180430' post='2372828']When conservatives talk about 'big government' they are almost always talking about regulations and welfare and that's the part of government that most of their base considers too big.[/quote]
I agree. That's why Ron Paul is the only consistent one. He doesn't stop at economic regulations and welfare.

PhuturePriest

I agree that the Military has gone to places it shouldn't have, and that some of our bases are completely useless. However, I don't think we should take away our bases in South Korea. The North Koreans are dangerous and they need to be monitored.

Another reason I don't like Ron Paul is, as Rick Santorum stated, he claims to be the most pro-life candidate, and yet he only has a 50% pro-life voting record.

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1327181053' post='2372837']
I agree that the Military has gone to places it shouldn't have, and that some of our bases are completely useless. However, I don't think we should take away our bases in South Korea. The North Koreans are dangerous and they need to be monitored.

Another reason I don't like Ron Paul is, as Rick Santorum stated, he claims to be the most pro-life candidate, and yet he only has a 50% pro-life voting record.
[/quote]

Because he doesn't vote for any bills that increade the federal government's power. He believes that abortion should be handled on the state level. Nothing wrong with that.

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1327173924' post='2372728']
What about drinking alcohol?

Further, you don't have a "consitutional right". You have a right that the Constitution specifically recognizes.
[/quote]
It is moral and one has the constitutional right to grow, dry, and smoke the leaves of a naturally-occurring green plant called tobacco to attain a chemically-induced pleasure.
It is immoral and one does not have the constitutional right to grow, dry, and smoke the leaves of a naturally occurring green plant called marijuana to attain a chemically-induced pleasure.

I don't get why you're not following this. Is it not clear cut enough for you?

PhuturePriest

[quote name='ardillacid' timestamp='1327181345' post='2372842']
Because he doesn't vote for any bills that increade the federal government's power. He believes that abortion should be handled on the state level. Nothing wrong with that.
[/quote]

I don't believe in that. He is saying that states have the right to choose whether or not to kill babies. No state has the right to kill babies, and this in itself is unconstitutional, since it says we have certain inalienable rights endowed by our creator, one of these rights being the right to life. No state has the right to choose otherwise, since that is unconstitutional, and no state has the right to defy the constitution.

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1327177748' post='2372790']
As a final comment, there is no such thing as a perfect candidate. Everyone has made mistakes, everyone has done terrible things. But that does not mean we should judge people. Most of you are ready to burn Newt Gingrich on a mighty pyre, but I do believe it was Jesus whom said "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."
[/quote]
I don't think Jesus was talking about presidential elections when he said that. I also don't think that by that he intended to say that one can't call a duck a duck.

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1327178018' post='2372794']
Thank you. You seem to agree with them that I'm gullible, but thank you anyway. I will say that a part of the reason I like Newt Gingrich so much is because a Seminarian I know likes him and Priest that's a Benedictine Monk near me likes him. If he was such a scumbag, certainly these notable characters wouldn't like him.
[/quote]
Cardinal Maloney was an archbishop and cardinal. He liked clown masses and Diane Watson. Should I like these things, since he held ecclesial positions, especially since they are both much more prominent offices than those which your seminarian, priest, and monk friends hold?

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1327182049' post='2372848']
I don't think Jesus was talking about presidential elections when he said that. I also don't think that by that he intended to say that one can't call a duck a duck.

Cardinal Maloney was an archbishop and cardinal. He liked clown masses and Diane Watson. Should I like these things, since he held ecclesial positions, especially since they are both much more prominent offices than those which your seminarian, priest, and monk friends hold?
[/quote]

Ease up Airways. I'd rather have a 15 year old admire and emulate a priest and a seminarian than LMFAO and Jayz. (Although I don't know much about LMFAO. they could be nice boys for all I know)

and I think you mean Cardinal Mahoney.

[quote name='jaime' timestamp='1327182313' post='2372851']
Ease up Airways. I'd rather have a 15 year old admire and emulate a priest and a seminarian than LMFAO and Jayz. (Although I don't know much about LMFAO. they could be nice boys for all I know)

and I think you mean Cardinal Mahoney.
[/quote]
I was being perfectly civil, Jaime. If I came across as brash, it was unintended.

And I do mean Mahoney. It always just happened to sound so much like bolog...nevermind.

And I happen to like Jay Z.

[quote name='Norseman82' timestamp='1327176898' post='2372767']
Well, the one time this nation interfered with the general right to drink alcohol, it was repealed 14 years later. So, one could say that the repeal of prohibition was a de facto recognition of either the right of the American people to drink alcohol, or leaving it to the states to regulate.
[/quote]
Vices are not crimes.

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1327181553' post='2372845']
I don't believe in that. He is saying that states have the right to choose whether or not to kill babies. No state has the right to kill babies, and this in itself is unconstitutional, since it says we have certain inalienable rights endowed by our creator, one of these rights being the right to life. No state has the right to choose otherwise, since that is unconstitutional, and no state has the right to defy the constitution.
[/quote]
No, he says the the Federal government doesn't exist to pass such laws. Is murder a federal crime? Also, there's an end run around that in clarifying for the exceptionally dense what it means to be a person. States can't make laws legalizing murder (in theory. They can steal from you and call it eminent domain).

Edited by Winchester

PhuturePriest

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1327182049' post='2372848']

[/quote]

There is a difference: The people I mention are Traditional Catholics, this Archbishop obviously was not. Just because they support him does not mean we have to or should give us incentive to, but it does say something about Newt Gingrich. If you're going to say that anyone who supports him supports clown Masses, I think you should rethink your logic.