An Old School Catholic Message Board

Newt Gingrich Controversies

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1327090467' post='2372128']
You mean his planned capitalism? His support of inflation? His support of government control of the money supply (which always amounts to inflation). His support of bombing brown people? Of preemtive acts of war? Of mercantilism? He's a stinking leftist.
[/quote]

Would you please give some concrete examples (especially of the "bombing brown people" remark)?

As far as government control of the money supply, did he not call for an audit of the Federal Reserve system, and has he not been a supporter of looking into the feasibility of bringing back the gold standard?

[url="http://www.nysun.com/national/all-eyes-on-gingrich-in-wake-of-his-call-for/87662/"]http://www.nysun.com/national/all-eyes-on-gingrich-in-wake-of-his-call-for/87662/[/url]

[quote name='kujo' timestamp='1327175045' post='2372749']While he may be gullible, please don't take it to the insulting level. The arguments themselves give us more than enough ammunition without stooping to the personal level.[/quote]

thank you. :think: i think. :unsure:

:elvis:

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1327173924' post='2372728']
What about drinking alcohol?
[/quote]

Well, the one time this nation interfered with the general right to drink alcohol, it was repealed 14 years later. So, one could say that the repeal of prohibition was a de facto recognition of either the right of the American people to drink alcohol, or leaving it to the states to regulate.

PhuturePriest

All I've seen so far is things that happened twelve years ago, low shots, and uncharitable posts. I refuse to comment any further until you act like adults. This is why I made such a big emphasis on stopping these posts at the very beginning, but I was ridiculed for that. If your defense is "You're gullible and not Priest-worthy" then your defense is terrible, and you need to rethink your charity skills.

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1327176928' post='2372768']
All I've seen so far is things that happened twelve years ago, low shots, and uncharitable posts. I refuse to comment any further until you act like adults. This is why I made such a big emphasis on stopping these posts at the very beginning, but I was ridiculed for that. If your defense is "You're gullible and not Priest-worthy" then your defense is terrible, and you need to rethink your charity skills.
[/quote]

12 years ago was the last time he was in office and able to enact or sponsor pieces of legislation. So yeah, that's all you're gonna see, other than words on a page from a man whose actions ought to speak much louder to any sensible, critical-thinking American voter.

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1327159364' post='2372636']Newt's basic political outlook was established long before his conversion to Catholicism in 2009. Since, [b]he has not held public office in many years, there is no evidence how his new found Catholic faith has shaped his political outlook through policies.[/b] All we have is what is on paper today. The five non-negotiables need to be sifted through first.[/quote]

agreed.

Maybe the OP's seemingly gullible outlook has to do with the fact that he is 15 and isn't political savants like the rest of you. Cut the kid some slack, and maybe try a more instructional approach instead of belittling him.

PhuturePriest

As a final comment, there is no such thing as a perfect candidate. Everyone has made mistakes, everyone has done terrible things. But that does not mean we should judge people. Most of you are ready to burn Newt Gingrich on a mighty pyre, but I do believe it was Jesus whom said "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

To be honest, I like Rick Santorum more than Gingrich. I think he's more Conservative than Gingrich is. However, he doesn't have the support, and for some odd reason people complain that he sounds like a child when he debates. I don't hear it, but people complain that his voice doesn't "sound right". I think America needs to wake up. You don't vote for someone because he has the perfect hair, or "looks like a president", or even if his voice is perfect. You vote for someone because he's a good candidate, and for no other reason. America is too materialistic, and looks for the wrong things. I like Newt Gingrich a lot because he's a great debater, and he could beat Obama in any debate. Rick Santorum is not that good at debates, so when he does debate with Obama he'll lose votes and gain more for Obama. You have to take these things into account when voting for someone, but definitely not if he looks and sounds good. You can look and sound like Lowell Mather from Wings for all I care. As long as you have good policies and can defeat Barrack Obama, you have my vote.

Finally, I have two words for you regarding Newt Gingrich: Chuck. Norris.

For those of you who don't know, that would be what is called a joke, referring to Chuck Norris' endorsement for Newt Gingrich.

Edited by FuturePriest387

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Maximilianus' timestamp='1327177638' post='2372785']
Maybe the OP's seemingly gullible outlook has to do with the fact that he is 15 and isn't political savants like the rest of you. Cut the kid some slack, and maybe try a more instructional approach instead of belittling him.
[/quote]

Thank you. You seem to agree with them that I'm gullible, but thank you anyway. I will say that a part of the reason I like Newt Gingrich so much is because a Seminarian I know likes him and Priest that's a Benedictine Monk near me likes him. If he was such a scumbag, certainly these notable characters wouldn't like him.

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1327177748' post='2372790']
You don't vote for someone because he has the perfect hair, or "looks like a president", or even if his voice is perfect. You vote for someone because[b] he's[/b] a good candidate, and for no other reason. America is too materialistic, and looks for the wrong things.
[/quote]

ummm he?

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1327174021' post='2372732']
Well, first, I deny any allegations claiming he is a progressive. He's for smaller government, lower taxes, way less regulations, big military, etc. Perhaps, you should listen to him speak instead of listening to other people speak about him. The thing is, people are biased. There is no such thing as an unbiased News Channel, or unbiased opinion. When you learn things about Gingrich, you're not hearing it from him, you're hearing it from other people. Listen to him speak on Youtube or on a debate, and you can hear an unbiased opinion for once.
[/quote]

So i guess i can start saying Obama is prolife, small government, procivil rights, etc because obviously the biased media is completely wrong about him. after all, what does all of his prior record of legislation and politics matter to him today?

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1327174326' post='2372740']
He definitely knows what he believes in. He definitely has a great track record. If Newt Gingrich is as liberal as people say, then why did Ronald Reagan love him?
[/quote]

You know, a lot of what Ronald Reagan did would horrify "modern" republicans, he would be about as much of a pariah as Ron Paul.

[quote name='Norseman82' timestamp='1327176898' post='2372767']
Well, the one time this nation interfered with the general right to drink alcohol, it was repealed 14 years later. So, one could say that the repeal of prohibition was a de facto recognition of either the right of the American people to drink alcohol, or leaving it to the states to regulate.
[/quote]

obviously the "safeguard" of it being difficult to amend the constitution did not work well enough as it managed to be both brought in and later abandoned. of course in those 14 years it basically brought organized crime to America, entrenched it deeply, and is responsible for a lot of the continuing gang violence today. Modern prohibition on Marijuana is doing the same thing.

PhuturePriest

You know, I find it quite ironic that when I say I like Santorum more, and think he's more Conservative, everyone ignores that post.

[quote name='MIkolbe' timestamp='1327179297' post='2372808']
Ron Paul seems legit.
[/quote]
2 legit 2 quit?

Edited by Era Might