An Old School Catholic Message Board

Catholicvote Endorses Rick Santorum

Basilisa Marie

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1331594938' post='2399835']
Yes, I'm aware that the establishment tells us this. To my knowledge, there's nothing special about a vote for Ron Paul that makes it not count.
[/quote]
except for his (your) ability to count [img]http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d160/wisper3/votee.jpg[/img]
it ain't over till the fat lady sings

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1331595105' post='2399836']
You didn't address the response, which condemns the use of "he has seven children" as some kind of assurance that he's a good political leader. You've yet to defend "seven children" as evidence that he understands economy, liberty, or the Constitution. I'm sorry, but virility is not a management technique.
[/quote]

Procreation is easy; having a large family within the boundaries of the Catholic faith is an admirable trait.
Virility is another subject all together; it really has nothing to do with fatherhood and family

Now when the child of morning, rosy-fingered dawn, appeared...

Edited by Era Might

[quote name='add' timestamp='1331638072' post='2400046']
except for his (your) ability to count [img]http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d160/wisper3/votee.jpg[/img]
it ain't over till the fat lady sings
[/quote]
It has nothing to do with ability to count. It has to do with a vapid argument that he cannot be elected. He can be elected. You people just have to get tired of being ordered about like pawns. Anyone can be elected. The establishment probably won't nominate him, and they have plenty of control over the process. If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it.

There are disputes about the delegate count, of course. You will probably find different allocations.
[quote name='add' timestamp='1331640396' post='2400049']
Procreation is easy; having a large family within the boundaries of the Catholic faith is an admirable trait.
Virility is another subject all together; it really has nothing to do with fatherhood and family
[/quote]
Regardless (and I don't believe in your apparent omniscience regarding his private behavior), none of those mean he understands economy, or the Constitution. His political behavior is one of a big government "conservative". You have yet to address that. I think you've glommed onto him because of his campaigning. I doubt you have any strong feelings about the Federal Reserve, or inflationary monetary policy. You probably have a slight allegiance to just war (but you will likely think any war Santorum tells you is just, is just. A man with seven kids obviously knows his moral theology, after all).

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1331650848' post='2400090']
Regardless (and I don't believe in your apparent omniscience regarding his private behavior), none of those mean he understands economy, or the Constitution. His political behavior is one of a big government "conservative". You have yet to address that. I think you've glommed onto him because of his campaigning. I doubt you have any strong feelings about the Federal Reserve, or inflationary monetary policy. You probably have a slight allegiance to just war (but you will likely think any war Santorum tells you is just, is just. A man with seven kids obviously knows his moral theology, after all).
[/quote]

I'm not convinced he understands what inflation is, much less monetary policy.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1331654944' post='2400115']
I'm not convinced he understands what inflation is, much less monetary policy.
[/quote]

1 + 1 = 2, anything else?

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1331650848' post='2400090']
It has nothing to do with ability to count. It has to do with a vapid argument that he cannot be elected. He can be elected. You people just have to get tired of being ordered about like pawns. Anyone can be elected. The establishment probably won't nominate him, and they have plenty of control over the process. If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it.

There are disputes about the delegate count, of course. You will probably find different allocations.

[/quote]
assume this, brother

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='add' timestamp='1331655052' post='2400118']
[/quote]
Yeah, there's a little more to it than that...

Reminds me of a joke though.

A man doing some research invited to his office a mathematician, a statistician, and a Keynesian economist. One by one they come in for the survey.
First the mathematician comes in, and the man doing the survey asks "What is the sum of two plus two?" The mathematician looks at him like he grew a second head and says "Four, of course." He leaves feeling insulted, and like he just wasted his time.
Next the statistician comes in. The man asks the same question, and the statistician answers "Well it's four, I'm confident in that 99 times out of 100."
Finally, the Keynesian comes in. He's asked the same question, and he goes very quiet. He gets up, closes the door, pulls down the blinds on all the windows, then sits back down and leans in really close and says "How much do you want it to equal?"

[quote name='add' timestamp='1331655052' post='2400118']
[/quote]
A brief introduction to real inflation.
http://mises.org/daily/2914

[quote name='add' timestamp='1331655177' post='2400122']
assume this, brother
[/quote]
It's not my fault you've provided nothing of substance to defend Santorum's political history. It's also not my fault that you don't know how to use an apostrophe.

I've criticized his economic positions. You've responded by totting up the number of his children. You've provided a reason for compromise on the passage of bills. I've responded by showing that Santorum denies that money is fungible. Google it, if you don't understand.

Now, tell me again how many kids he has. That totally refutes his commitment to big government.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1331656153' post='2400131']
A brief introduction to real inflation.
[url="http://mises.org/daily/2914"]http://mises.org/daily/2914[/url]

It's not my fault you've provided nothing of substance to defend Santorum's political history. It's also not my fault that you don't know how to use an apostrophe.

I've criticized his economic positions. You've responded by totting up the number of his children. You've provided a reason for compromise on the passage of bills. I've responded by showing that Santorum denies that money is fungible. Google it, if you don't understand.

Now, tell me again how many kids he has. That totally refutes his commitment to big government.
[/quote]

Don't forget, he also wants to kill lots more people overseas. If that's not presidential material, then I don't know what is!

RezaMikhaeil

[quote name='Aloysius' timestamp='1331243000' post='2397868']I recommend Catholics supporting Ron Paul so that something actually effective can be done for the pro-life cause[/quote]

I'm sorry to do this my Catholic friend. I completely love Ron Paul. He's the only candidate that I could and would vote for this coming election. However, I'm not sure that he will bring about the pro-life change that most Catholics would desire. He doesn't believe in a Federal ban on abortion. Rather he believes the states should have the freedom to deal with it. Personally he believes that it should be against the law.

[quote name='dUSt' timestamp='1331270612' post='2398101']
I don't understand Ron Paul supporters. Doesn't everyone just laugh at him?
[/quote]

Obviously you don't know the issues. If it wasn't for Ron Paul the economic spending issues wouldn't be at the forefront of the debates.

[quote name='dUSt' timestamp='1331310000' post='2398236']
Maybe I'm just being naive, but Santorum seems like he genuinely believes in the Catholic social issues, including abortion, more than all the other candidates combined--and we consistently hear how abortion is the single most important issue--so... I don't get why he has so many haters here.

I like Santorum. He talks about God more than anyone else. I love God.
[/quote]

So talking about G-d is your standard? How about living for G-d rather then just using it in speech? I'd say that you are right, you are a bit naive. He doesn't believe in genuine Catholic social issues. Rather he has saw how much attention they have reciently gotten and piggy backed his campaign on them. That is playing politics, not genuinely believing in them. When the question of banning contraception came up in one of the first debates, what was his response? It was that it should not even be a question of weather or not it should be illegal. Now you might say that he said this because he believes in freedom of religion but he doesn't. He doesn't believe in freedom of religion for Muslims.

This is a small issue compared to the large picture. The large picture is finances. Where is he on this issue? He is for more spending. He says that he's for decreases in the spending. What he and the other candidates are referencing is cuts in the proposed INCREASES. Not cuts in the current spending. This is bring about economic disaster, which will see ordinary Catholics suffer. This is anit-catholic.

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1331425866' post='2398857']
Well, the more than a few criticisms have provided the reasons. Apparently, believing in the Catholic position on abortion includes funding Planned Parenthood. He's either a liar, or he is so economically ignorant that he really believes those funds aren't fungible. Either option means he's unsuited to the presidency. I'm leaning toward the latter, since he seems to believe inflation is necessary to keep an economy going. His contempt for liberty also pisses me off. He's a snide little control freak.
[/quote]

Exactly! Funding planned parenthood, seems like Santorum isn't so "Catholic" afterall. The cause of liberty is the most Catholic position in these times where Catholics are having their religion rights restricted right along side Muslims and Jews.

[quote name='add' timestamp='1331590453' post='2399795']Ron Paul is a good man, however he can’t get elected. Rick Santorum compromised to get things done, [/quote]

I thought Santorum was a genuine man of his religion? Now all of a sudden he's a compromising man just playing politics? He can't be both. He's either one or the other.

When it comes to economics there can be no compromise. Agreeing to half as much increases as Obama is not conservative, not catholic and not something that can be compromised. There has to be real spending cuts or the country is screwed.

[b] HA-HA, Santorum sweeps South: wins Alabama and Mississippi[/b]

(i get the feeling that Newt is secretly working for Obama, sometimes)

Basilisa Marie

[quote name='add' timestamp='1331695683' post='2400450']
[b] HA-HA, Santorum sweeps South: wins Alabama and Mississippi[/b]

(i get the feeling that Newt is secretly working for Obama, sometimes)
[/quote]

I could make a comment...but it'd probably be uncharitable. :)

With the news that Rick Santorum won the Alabama and Mississippi primaries tonight, all I can think of is the horrible possibility that I will likely have to choose between an incompetent and an intolerant in this upcoming election. I'll have to choose between your every day big-government liberal and your every day big-government "conservative." The only real thing that separates Obama and Santorum is the social issues that I believe are quite irrelevant to this election and to the office of the President. It makes me think of that South Park episode about the giant d00sh and the turd sandwich...it gets funnier and sadder every day...

Edited by kujo