An Old School Catholic Message Board

Catholicvote Endorses Rick Santorum

Basilisa Marie

Basilisa Marie

So...I just found out that CatholicVote endorses Rick Santorum. I'm not quite sure how I feel about this...any thoughts?

I personally don't believe we will every have a candidate that will speak for honest american people. They will do what they want, tax who they want, kill who they want, and we are just gonna have to deal with it until the county comes to it's brutal and untimely demise. I will just trust in God to help me get through the craziness.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cu2xaEd2cmU[/media]
CatholicVote is a source of shallow politics based on rhetoric, with zero knowledge of candidate history. The endorsement has as much Catholicity as a Kennedy family reunion.

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1331131912' post='2397198']
I'd expect a group/org called CatholicVote endorsing a Catholic.
[/quote]
so, did they endorse Newt Gingrich?

and I expect they endorsed John Kerry in 2004, right?

I'm with Winny and Tom Woods--Ron Paul is the real solution for a Catholic who (1) believes in subsidiarity and (2) wants something actually effective done to not just stop the radical pro-abortion direction Obama took, but actually go in the opposite direction towards a truly pro-life culture.

I don't care if a candidate is Catholic, Protestant, Mormon, Hindu, Muslim, Secret Muslim, or Athiest--I want a candidate who will enforce the constitutional limits against our federal government and offer radical and effective solutions towards moving towards a pro-life policy and I want you to stop the military industrial complex from continuing to force aggressive wars on us without constitutional limitations.

Edited by Aloysius

[quote name='Aloysius' timestamp='1331236620' post='2397822']
so, did they endorse Newt Gingrich?

and I expect they endorsed John Kerry in 2004, right?

I'm with Winny and Tom Woods--Ron Paul is the real solution for a Catholic who (1) believes in subsidiarity and (2) wants something actually effective done to not just stop the radical pro-abortion direction Obama took, but actually go in the opposite direction towards a truly pro-life culture.

I don't care if a candidate is Catholic, Protestant, Mormon, Hindu, Muslim, Secret Muslim, or Athiest--I want a candidate who will enforce the constitutional limits against our federal government and offer radical and effective solutions towards moving towards a pro-life policy and I want you to stop the military industrial complex from continuing to force aggressive wars on us without constitutional limitations.
[/quote]

What's your point? All I stated is that I would expect this...and nothing else.

I had a couple points to make. 1 was that Santorum actually isn't the only Catholic in the race, because Gingrich is also Catholic, 2 is that we shouldn't endorse someone because of their religion (John Kerry, Joe Biden, Nancy Pelosi are all Catholic), 3 was that just because Santorum happens to be Catholic doesn't mean his policies are in line with Catholic thinking or that they are wise or prudent.

I was arguing against the endorsement, if your only point was that it was to be expected from an organization like this, then that is a valid point. but I don't expect it from an organization like this because they're a "Catholic" organization, personally I don't see supporting Santorum as a very Catholic thing to do actually, not much more Catholic than supporting John Kerry would've been, anyway.

This is not to say that supporting Ron Paul ought to be the only "Catholic" thing to do either, unfettered markets of the kind he supports have unfailingly been strongly criticized by all the popes since Leo XIII, so there's that running against him; but trying to make it out like Santorum ought to be the Catholic choice, I definitely disagree with. I recommend Catholics supporting Ron Paul so that something actually effective can be done for the pro-life cause, so that something can be done for the pro-peace cause (also a very Catholic cause, despite the neo-con-caths that ignore how just war doctrine does not permit preemptive strikes ever), and we can bring more subsidiarity and thus freedom to our form of government.

Edited by Aloysius

Again, all I said was that I would expect that. I gave no approval or disapproval. Some would be if Newt was endorsed. I really don't understand how my benign little statement warrants such a response.

Aloysius,

I think it's okay to disagree with Papist without changing his mind. It's clear that you don't think he should have expected it. That's okay too.

That being said, I agree with you. I live in Ron Paul's congressional district. As a representative, he just stinks - but I still think he would make a better president than any of the contenders.

[quote name='Basilisa Marie' timestamp='1331131478' post='2397196']
So...I just found out that CatholicVote endorses Rick Santorum. I'm not quite sure how I feel about this...any thoughts?
[/quote]They've been pushing for him for a while now. See if you can find what Tom Peters has to say on this matter. He's a good guy. I've been following him since he was the American Papist and he and I agree on a lot (at least when we've spoken).

However, their endorsement doesn't really carry much weight if you don't want it to. I've advocated why Newt isn't as bad of a candidate, but I haven't really made up my mind except I want someone who will win in November. If you want to vote in a primary and this matters to you, I'd definitely follow that. If you want the best candidate then Catholicvote's endorsement might have a bit more meaning.

Either way, come this autumn, see whom they endorse. I guarantee you they'll go for the candidate running against our current President.

[img]http://www.camaro5.com/forums/images/smilies/facepalm.gif[/img]

It just seems[at least lately] that the standard operating procedure is to criticize/knock others posts.

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1331254737' post='2397974']
[img]http://www.camaro5.com/forums/images/smilies/facepalm.gif[/img]

It just seems[at least lately] that the standard operating procedure is to criticize/knock others posts.
[/quote][img]http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/1945/463699lolcatsdotcomttbw.jpg[/img]

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1331255607' post='2397984']
[img]http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/1945/463699lolcatsdotcomttbw.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

OK