An Old School Catholic Message Board

Catholicvote Endorses Rick Santorum

Basilisa Marie

Reza, Ron Paul supports a Constitutional Ammendment stating life begins at conception thus putting constitutional protections for the unborn, then letting the states make their own specific laws against it the way they currently do for murder.

With the Constitutional Ammendment that Ron Paul supports, any state law that LEGALIZED abortion could be struck down as unconstitutional. ie, completely reversing the situation. but the Constitutional Ammendment thing is something that will be hard to do and will take a lot of time, the practical thing to do is to use the Legislature's constitutional power to limit the scope of the Federal Court's jurisdiction and thus, by a majority vote in the Congress, effectively overturn Roe v. Wade. This is a constitutional way to immediately stop the Federal Government from banning the states from making abortion illegal. The next step would be the Constitutional Ammendment, which is admittedly not going to be easy, but in any event I think Ron Paul's position is the only pro-life policy that can be effective in this country. If you think we can just vote Repubs into the presidency for decades until they finally are able to stack the courts with enough justices to overturn Roe, you're buying into their game and letting the Republican party hold the pro-life movement hostage. we don't need to stack the courts, we need to assert the legislature's right to be a balance against the court's power and immediately let states illegalize while we work towards the constitutional ammendment.

so yes, that's not a federal law against abortion; but it is the structure of our government to have state laws against murder. if a state law permitted murder, the Supreme Court would say that it violated a US Citizen's right to life and it would be struck down. So if a Constitutional Ammendment defined an unborn child as a US Citizen, no state could legalize abortion. that is the dream, and that is certainly the direction Ron Paul wishes to point the country.

Al, the biggest problem with Ron Paul supporting a Constitutional amendment is the numbers game. He can support and push it as much as he wants, but he'll never get the numbers to pass it. Constitutional amendments would require such extreme support that he has a better chance of winning the Republican nomination at this point than getting any Constitutional amendments passed.

That's the biggest reason I can't support him. Most of his options sound great but they're completely implausible in our country. We can't get the necessary supermajority in our country.

Also I'm old school and I like the idea of states deciding certain laws and what's best, but matters such as marriage cannot be left up to the people in the way they have been recently.

I believe Rick Santorum is exactly what America needs - Catholics and non-Catholics. He is a man of integrity and courage. He's not afraid to share what his beliefs are without forcing them on others. He will stand up for the unborn.

[quote name='qfnol31' timestamp='1331778764' post='2400918']

Also I'm old school and I like the idea of states deciding certain laws and what's best, but matters such as marriage cannot be left up to the people in the way they have been recently.
[/quote]
People aren't running the government?

[quote name='truthlvr' timestamp='1331779464' post='2400921']
He will stand up for the unborn.
[/quote]
http://thenewamerican.com/usnews/politics/10549-santorum-voted-to-subsidize-abortion-planned-parenthood

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1331781711' post='2400940']
People aren't running the government?
[/quote]I'd say republic, but I'm not sure that's even the case anymore...

The problem with giving it to the states is even when it goes to the states the courts still decide.

California?

[quote name='qfnol31' timestamp='1331782283' post='2400945']
I'd say republic, but I'm not sure that's even the case anymore...

The problem with giving it to the states is even when it goes to the states the courts still decide.

California?
[/quote]
Why should you ask the government for a marriage permission slip?

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1331782928' post='2400952']
Why should you ask the government for a marriage permission slip?
[/quote]http://www.marriageuniqueforareason.org/

Here, I'll post the relevant answer from that page: [url="http://www.marriageuniqueforareason.org/the-common-good-faq/#q6"]http://www.marriageu...on-good-faq/#q6[/url]

[size=4][color=#3C2314][b]6. Isn’t marriage just a religious issue that the government should stay out of?[/b][/color]
[color=#3C2314]No. The social value of marriage is great and is apparent even to those who do not share the Catholic understanding of its religious meaning. Marriage as a lifelong, faithful, and fruitful union between husband and wife serves the good of all – it serves the good of the spouses, the good of the children who may issue from their marital union, and the good of society in assuring that reproduction happens in a socially responsible way. To be sure, these goods are affirmed and reinforced by most religions. But they do not rely on any religious premises; they are based instead on the nature of the human person and are accessible to right reason. The government has the responsibility of promoting the common good and the best interests of all people, especially the most vulnerable, and upholding authentic marriage does precisely that. The fact that the responsibility of government to promote and protect marriage coincides with widely held religious convictions is not a reason for government to abdicate that responsibility.[/color][/size]

Edited by qfnol31

[quote name='qfnol31' timestamp='1331783060' post='2400955']
[url="http://www.marriageuniqueforareason.org/"]http://www.marriageu...forareason.org/[/url]
[/quote]
This is the group surprised by the HHS mandate.

[quote name='qfnol31' timestamp='1331783218' post='2400957']
Here, I'll post the relevant answer from that page: [url="http://www.marriageuniqueforareason.org/the-common-good-faq/#q6"]http://www.marriageu...on-good-faq/#q6[/url]

[size=4][color=#3C2314][b]6. Isn’t marriage just a religious issue that the government should stay out of?[/b][/color]
[color=#3C2314]No. The social value of marriage is great and is apparent even to those who do not share the Catholic understanding of its religious meaning. Marriage as a lifelong, faithful, and fruitful union between husband and wife serves the good of all – it serves the good of the spouses, the good of the children who may issue from their marital union, and the good of society in assuring that reproduction happens in a socially responsible way. To be sure, these goods are affirmed and reinforced by most religions. But they do not rely on any religious premises; they are based instead on the nature of the human person and are accessible to right reason. The government has the responsibility of promoting the common good and the best interests of all people, especially the most vulnerable, and upholding authentic marriage does precisely that. The fact that the responsibility of government to promote and protect marriage coincides with widely held religious convictions is not a reason for government to abdicate that responsibility.[/color][/size]
[/quote]
So because of this, you think you should be asking permission from the people who legalized abortion?

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1331783500' post='2400964']
This is the group surprised by the HHS mandate.
[/quote]I respect the US bishops and really respect the info on that site.
[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1331783600' post='2400965']
So because of this, you think you should be asking permission from the people who legalized abortion?
[/quote]Read the site. It's got good stuff on it.

Marriage is a social issue and should be regulated justly as such. That's not really asking for permission.

Nihil Obstat

Within the modern nation-state paradigm, when you give them the power to recognize your marriage, you also give them the power to withhold recognition, based on whatever criteria they choose. They're not looking out for your best interests, or for society's best interests, or for the sanctity of marriage. They want more power and more money. If they can gain some power by recognizing Catholic marriages, then they will. If they can gain more power by recognizing homosexual 'marriages', then they will. If they can gain more power by refusing to recognize Catholic marriages, then you'd better believe that they will.
We don't need a modern State to protect marriage. We need to protect marriage from the State.

[url="http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/09/pope-denounces-gay-marraige_n_1334504.html"]http://www.huffingto..._n_1334504.html[/url]

We do need to protect marriage in our country. In the USA we have the right as a people to make sure that government doesn't try to redefine marriage. Not only do we have that right, but we also have an obligation to make sure it doesn't happen. We cannot morally stand by as the government makes these changes because they are unjust, and they are against the dignity of marriage and the human person.

PS I posted that article to show that even Pope Benedict recognizes and supports this position of the USCCB and therefore my own position.

Edited by qfnol31