An Old School Catholic Message Board

Catholicvote Endorses Rick Santorum

Basilisa Marie

Basilisa Marie

Interesting.

Rick Santorum is just so...embarrassing. I don't understand how he can say some of the things he says.

[quote name='dUSt' timestamp='1331270612' post='2398101']
I don't understand Ron Paul supporters. Doesn't everyone just laugh at him?
[/quote]

Nah, we just appreciate his consistency, and hope that the nature of the presidency would prevent some of his more radical ideas from taking shape. :)

Papist, I am in no way trying to attack you man. I was just furthering the topic, I didn't make any statements about what I thought you were saying. I don't understand why you're taking it so personally, you said it was expected because he was Catholic, I quoted you to cite other Catholic candidates both current and past, then went further onto more points about this thread's topic; if you don't want to engage my other points that I began talking about at that point, then fine.

but this is kind of a topic about the endorsement of an organization called "Catholic Vote" so you'll have to excuse me for discussing who I think Catholics should endorse and/or vote for... ;) this thread doesn't revolve around you, my points are directed towards the thread's topic, not towards you, and you are free to agree or disagree with them, to argue against them or for them, or to not respond.

dUSt, they have laughed at him, they have ignored him, they have booed him when he suggested following our Divine Savior's Golden Rule (Do unto others as you would have them do unto you) in foreign policy. the powers that be are taking him a bit more seriously now than they were before, because of his delegate strength, so they're trying to ignore him some more. time will tell if he can have a serious influence at all on this election.

Edited by Aloysius

[quote name='dUSt' timestamp='1331270612' post='2398101']
I don't understand Ron Paul supporters. Doesn't everyone just laugh at him?
[/quote]
Ron Paul pretty much turned me into a CSPAN junkie this year. Everyone laughs at the fools in Shakespeare's plays...too bad the joke's on them. :sos:

It's pretty amazing how Santorum has become a real contender. I remember back in like December he was pretty much dismissed as a third-tier candidate, someone just grasping at straws. I thought it was still useful for him to run for president, gives him experience in the process for the future. But, he's certainly proved everyone wrong. Won't get my vote though.

Edited by Era Might

Maybe I'm just being naive, but Santorum seems like he genuinely believes in the Catholic social issues, including abortion, more than all the other candidates combined--and we consistently hear how abortion is the single most important issue--so... I don't get why he has so many haters here.

I like Santorum. He talks about God more than anyone else. I love God.

[quote name='dUSt' timestamp='1331310000' post='2398236']
Maybe I'm just being naive, but Santorum seems like he genuinely believes in the Catholic social issues, including abortion, more than all the other candidates combined--and we consistently hear how abortion is the single most important issue--so... I don't get why he has so many haters here.
[/quote]

Because no other pro-life president had a friggin plan to stop abortion. Paul would overturn Roe V. Wade, not just spit another vague plan that ends up doing NOTHING in effect, and then it would be taken "to the streets" at a local level.

When I hear Ron Paul talk about abortion he's using his own words to condemn it instead of regurgitating the same pandering rhetoric that any GOP can be trained to parrot back to us.

And who cares how often he talks about God? The WBCers talk about God probably more than anyone else. Quality, not quantity.

Basilisa Marie

[/quote]

I agree that Santorum genuinely believes in Catholic social issues - I've no doubt that he's personally in line with the Church on most things.

But then he goes and says things like it was good that Iranian scientists were murdered, because it stops their nuclear program. Or that getting pregnant after a rape is a blessing. You just don't [i]say [/i]things like that if you're talking in a mixed forum where people have radically different viewpoints. Yes, it's good that Iran's nuclear program was slowed. Yes, children are always a blessing. But if you're trying to communicate to people who mostly speak a different idealogical language, he's doing a terrible job. Santorum just strikes me as someone who doesn't know how to talk to anyone but faithful Catholics.

[quote name='Basilisa Marie' timestamp='1331336138' post='2398420'] Santorum just strikes me as someone who doesn't know how to talk to anyone but faithful Catholics.
[/quote]
Catholic, here. Practicing. I believe.

Santorum is an imbecile. He's a conventional thinker, who has bought the entire "gubbmint will save us" line from the big government shills.

inunionwithrome

I heard somone on a Christian program speaking. This person said that while they did believe with one of the candidate's moral decision makings and their set of beliefs, that she couldn't vote for that candiate because they weren't "presidential" enough. I think that our voting should be based on morality and not who is more or less "presidential" than another.

I'm planning to write in my father-in-law's name on the ballot. He doesn't know I'm planning to do this. While I don't know here he stands on issues like the Fed or the gas pipeline but I can guarantee he is neither incompetent nor deranged which I can not say about the other candidates.

[/quote]

:like:

[/quote]
Well, the more than a few criticisms have provided the reasons. Apparently, believing in the Catholic position on abortion includes funding Planned Parenthood. He's either a liar, or he is so economically ignorant that he really believes those funds aren't fungible. Either option means he's unsuited to the presidency. I'm leaning toward the latter, since he seems to believe inflation is necessary to keep an economy going. His contempt for liberty also pisses me off. He's a snide little control freak.

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1331425866' post='2398857']
Apparently, believing in the Catholic position on abortion includes funding Planned Parenthood.
[/quote]

Sorry. I might have started caring about politics after this happened. What are you referring to?

[quote name='Byzantine' timestamp='1331427352' post='2398875']
Sorry. I might have started caring about politics after this happened. What are you referring to?
[/quote]
http://thenewamerican.com/usnews/politics/10549-santorum-voted-to-subsidize-abortion-planned-parenthood

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Basilisa Marie' timestamp='1331336138' post='2398420']
I agree that Santorum genuinely believes in Catholic social issues - I've no doubt that he's personally in line with the Church on most things.

But then he goes and says things like it was good that Iranian scientists were murdered, because it stops their nuclear program. Or that getting pregnant after a rape is a blessing. You just don't [i]say [/i]things like that if you're talking in a mixed forum where people have radically different viewpoints. Yes, it's good that Iran's nuclear program was slowed. Yes, children are always a blessing. But if you're trying to communicate to people who mostly speak a different idealogical language, he's doing a terrible job. Santorum just strikes me as someone who doesn't know how to talk to anyone but faithful Catholics.
[/quote]

He's going on things from a Catholic perspective, and so far, people are liking it. If he's supposed to shut up and not speak what he believes as a Catholic because this is America, than this system is corrupt, this society is corrupt, and I've lost all hope. He can't just be quiet to get elected. That's what people claim to hate about politicians, and yet when they do what they ask they freak out. I'm not saying that's what you're doing, but it's what many people do. They need to decide what they want and stick with it.