An Old School Catholic Message Board

Baseball Talk

Beati Pacifici

[quote name='Maximilianus' timestamp='1338174085' post='2436137']
Anyone got this card? I'll trade my car and a bag of Big League Chew for it if it's in good condition[img]http://cardboardicons.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/1955toppsrobertoclemente.jpg[/img]
[/quote]
i do.

in my safe deposit box in CA.

and a mickey mantle rookie...

and various other rookie cards

The rookie cards I have locked up are Derek Jeter, Josh Hamilton, Alex Rodreguiz, Nolan Ryan, Greg Maddox, and a couple of dozen more that I can't remember right now.

ContemporaryCaflicCrusader

[quote name='Lisa' timestamp='1339899995' post='2445434']
Why are my cubbies so bad????
[/quote]

Because they're playing my Red Sox.

[quote name='Lisa' timestamp='1339899995' post='2445434']
Why are my [u][b]cubbies [/b][/u]so bad????
[/quote]

That's why.

Your last chance to vote for the All stars is up to mid night tonight! I voted 6 of the 25 times I could of. I predict on my own that Chipper Jones will be the starting DH in the NL because everyone knows it's his last year and all; David Wright's numbers are to good for him to start at 3B. Oh and you can bet Jeter will start at SS for the AL. Those are my rock solid predictions though.

Carlos Beltran is starting in the All-Star game... And Albert Poojuls did not make the All-Star game. Poor Poojuls :console: at least he is beyond filthy rich.

Tribe fell out of first, rough June, thankfully the whole division's bad so we still have a chance to win it.

The AL didn't really put up much of a fight, but our local guy David Ortiz did make it to third which was an achievment for that team last night. Can't remember the last time only one Red Sock made the all star team. There were more Orioles. Ouch. And Adam Dunn made the team? But not his teammate A.J. Pierzynski? A.J. shoulda started. Anyone looking for a standard free fantasy football league btw!?!?! I'm inviting. Just PM me. Draft day is 10am Eastern Time Saturday Aug 25.

Maximilianus

[quote name='Maximilianus' timestamp='1341265137' post='2451610']
Pablo Sandoval over David Wright? Balderdash!
[/quote]

ballot stuffers vindicated.

[size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Trade deadline is coming. Pitchers are at a premium. Here are the best trade prospects. [/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif] [/font][/size]
[size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][b]STARTERS – a few would be good addition to bullpen.[/b][/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][b]Cole Hamels[/b], Phillies - Hamels is one of the best pitchers in the game. Though he's just 28, he has a seven-year history of success in a major market, including a World Series MVP award. Hamels has the potential to improve some team’s rotation dramatically and demand will reflect that upside if the Phillies make him available.[/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][b]Zack Greinke[/b], Brewers - If you go by the numbers, Greinke's just as desirable as Greinke. However, some teams question Greinke's ability to thrive in the spotlight. Still, the right-hander has the potential to make a team’s front office look really smart.[/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][b]Matt Garza[/b], Cubs - Garza's 4.32 ERA is pretty ordinary, but he’s still a tremendously valuable trade chip for the Cubs. Unlike Greinke and Hamels, Garza's controllable through 2013. He has succeeded in the AL East and his peripheral stats remain strong.[/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][b]Wandy Rodriguez[/b], Astros - Rodriguez has a 3.38 ERA through 18 starts, but his salary could be an obstacle for some clubs. The left-hander will earn $10MM in 2012, $13MM in 2013 and, potentially, $13MM in 2014 (the team’s ’14 option becomes a player option following a trade). However, the Astros showed that they’re willing to absorb salary if it means a chance at obtaining better prospects when they dealt Carlos Lee to the Marlins.[/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][b]Ryan Dempster[/b], Cubs - Dempster, who has an NL-best 1.99 ERA, should draw lots of interest as a mid-season trade candidate. The Cubs seem willing to absorb some of his $14MM salary to facilitate a deal.[/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][b]Shaun Marcum[/b], Brewers - Marcum, now on the disabled list, is on track to hit free agency this offseason. He has a 3.39 ERA with 8.4 K/9 and 2.8 BB/9 through 82 1/3 innings in Milwaukee.[/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][b]Paul Maholm[/b], Cubs - Maholm could appeal to teams looking to add back-of-the-rotation depth. His contract includes a $6.5MM option for 2013.[/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][b]Randy Wolf[/b], Brewers - Wolf's trade value would be limited by his 5.80 ERA and $9.5MM salary.[/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][b]Jeremy Guthrie[/b], Rockies - Guthrie’s trade value may be at an all-time low following three disappointing months in Denver.[/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][b]Edinson Volquez[/b] and Clayton Richard could be available, but there’s no reason for the Padres to trade such controllable, young arms without obtaining a remarkable package in return.[/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][b]Jason Vargas[/b], Mariners - Vargas is similar pitcher to Wandy Rodriguez, but he's younger and less expensive, as I explained last month.[/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][b]Kevin Millwood[/b], Mariners - Millwood, 37, has a 3.69 ERA with 6.9 K/9 and 3.5 BB/9 in 90 1/3 innings with Seattle. He earns $1MM and will hit free agency after the season.[/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Despite the annual speculation surrounding [b]Felix Hernandez[/b], there’s no indication he’s truly available.[/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][b]Bartolo Colon[/b], Athletics - Colon, 39, is the player the Athletics are most likely to trade, according to Ken Rosenthal. The righty has a 3.80 ERA with 5.4 K/9 and 1.5 BB/9 through 104 1/3 innings.[/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][b]Brandon McCarthy[/b], Athletics - The A's would reportedly consider offers for McCarthy, a prospective free agent who has a 2.54 ERA with 6.0 K/9 and 2.2 BB/9. He's now on the 15-day disabled list.[/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][b]Brian Matusz[/b], Orioles - Matusz appears to be a trade chip for the Orioles. He's now in the minor leagues after posting a 5.42 ERA through 16 starts in Baltimore.[/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][b]Francisco Liriano[/b], Twins - Liriano, a free agent after the season, has pitched well since returning to the rotation. Still, clubs are wary of trading for the left-hander, whose walk rate remains high.[/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][b]RELIEF PITCHERS[/b][/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][b]Jonathan Broxton [b]-[/b] [/b]Actually, he seems to be very available according to recent reports but then we would have had to break from our nice little grouping format. Nuts to that! Broxton has done well to re-establish himself as a quality reliever this season even if he is generating whiffs like he used to.[/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][b]J.J. Putz [b]-[/b] [/b]He is slowly clawing his way back to a respectable stat line after a horrendous start to the season, sort of like the D'Backs as a whole. If Arizona doesn't get themselves back into the playoff picture by the end of the month, they could very well move Putz, who will be a free agent at the end of the season. That is a big "if" though.[/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][b]Rafael Betancourt [b]-[/b] [/b]Most bad teams would love to rid trade away a 37-year old closer signed through 2013 while he is still effective and carries value. However, Colorado is not most bad teams as they seem to be under the impression that they can rebuild without trading anyone of value. Management loves Betancourt, so they figure to be loathe to move him at the deadline.[/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][b]Carlos Marmol [b]-[/b] [/b]The Cubs can't feel good about paying $9.8 million next season to a guy who lost his closing job this season and only recently got it back more out of necessity than actual merit.[/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][b]Francisco Rodriguez [b]-[/b] [/b]Not only is K-Rod having a rough year by his standards, but he is still owed nearly $4 million the rest of this season. He hasn't been so bad that the Brewers are going to give him away just to save money though, but kicking in some cash sure couldn't hurt.[/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][b]Matt Capps [b]-[/b] [/b]He's probably over-matched working as a "capital C" closer, but that doesn't matter right now as he is trying to work his way off the DL before the end of the month. If he makes it back, he may not be in Minnesota for long.[/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][b]Grant Balfour [b]-[/b] [/b]Balfour pitched his way out of the closer gig early in the season, but he has been solid since then. However, he isn't terribly happy with how his demotion back to middle relief went down, so the A's have extra incentive to move him by the deadline.[/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][b]Brandon League [b]-[/b] [/b]Another closer who lost his job and since found his way back to respectability. He's just biding his time in Seattle until he hits the open market, but the Mariners could expedite manners by sending him to a team in need of some late-inning help.[/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][b]Brett Myers [b]-[/b] [/b]Myers is a very interesting case. He is a starter by trade, so teams could acquire him with an eye towards stretching him out. He has also been good enough as Houston's closer to continue working in high leverage relief. The danger with him though is that he has a hefty $10 million vesting option for next season based on games finished. Caveat emptor.[/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][b]Huston Street [b]-[/b] [/b]Quick, Street is healthy! Trade him now before he gets hurt again!!!![/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][b]Randy Choate [b]-[/b] [/b]Has left arm, will travel, but only if the Marlins and their already wretched bullpen fall out of the race, which might happen because, well, like I said, their bullpen is wretched.[/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][b]Matt Belisle [b]-[/b] [/b]He has been incredibly effective this season with a 1.77 ERA, which is even more amazing when you factor in Coors Field. He is signed through 2013 (with an option for 2014), so the Rockies don't have to part with him. That being said, they need to give up something if they are going to rebuild and Belisle might get sent packing if the Rox can't stand to let go of the aforementioned Betancourt.[/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][b]Brandon Lyon [b]-[/b] [/b]'Memba him? Yeah, Lyon is back and pitching surprisingly well for Houston. He is also a guy who some team might overvalue because he has the infamous "closing experience" on his resumé. You've been warned.[/font][/size]

Edited by Papist

• 3 weeks later...