An Old School Catholic Message Board

Leaving The Motherhouse

LaPetiteSoeur

Thank you to all of you for the beautiful, thoughtful, loving yet challening posts that appeared after Icey asked us to back off...

I think we have been thinking & praying well for the last 24 hours...

If we can learn to do this with each other, it bodes well for our interactions as a PHATmass community on line and interactions in the bigger world as well. Good points from everyone....

I continue to hold lyou all in loving prayer... please do the same for me. You are amesome people....

AccountDeleted

[quote name='Sister Marie' timestamp='1335384160' post='2423307']
I appreciate and accept your apology and I apologize as well. After reading a few of the threads on the LCWR and sisters in general many of the comments upset me and this thread pushed that frustration even further. I hope you can forgive me.

To all - I do realize that this is an internet forum and not real life; however, I do believe that we are called to be Christians online as well as in our real - off-line lives. I am not accusing anyone of being unchristian. I think that the goal of Catholics shouldn't be to force people to agree with us or with the Church through rhetoric but to guide others in love to the truth which we have found in the Church. This goal has the same end result - producing and fostering faithful Catholics - but a different way of getting there. I'm just making the observation that we are able to affect others through our online interactions just as much as in our day to day interactions - only the interactions here are permanent and can be viewed over and over and over again. Sometimes we are more willing to be critical and fiery in our speech online than we would be if we were faced with a person right in front of us. I know I am guilty of this as well.

I know that none of the comments made about these sisters or the LCWR or sisters in general were meant specifically towards me. But I am a sister and any comments that are made in general about sisters are made about me - they are personal because being a sister is who I am. When I wrote about myself I was trying to put a face on the faceless "liberal" sister so many people seem to think that they know.

I hope that in all the time I have been here - time that I have spent sharing about myself, my community, my spirituality and prayer, my apostolate, really sharing the heart of my life - that people would see in me someone who cares about them, someone who has a relationship with God, someone who is trying very hard to be holy and of course failing as we all do. I hoped that by putting my own face on the unknown "liberal" sister it would be harder to treat her so harshly that it might make others think a little bit more before judging. Now that you know me, would you say many of those posts (and not just the ones in this thread) to my face, to me directly? Would you write to me, "Sister Marie, hopefully a more faithful community will take over your motherhouse?" Would you say "Sister Marie, you are disobedient." Would you be able to say, "Sister Marie, thank God your community won't be around much longer to ruin the Church." Or would you think a little bit differently, while still believing what you believe and stating your truth respectfully, because you know me as a person and as a sister on the journey to God, in the Church, with you?

I will continue to keep each of you in loving prayer.

SM
[/quote]

Thank you for another beautiful and sesitive post. We are so blessed to have you share your perspective here with us. The Catholic Church has been deeply wounded by many things and we all need to be even more loving and supportive of each other through a difficult time, while still remaining faithful to the Magesterium and her teachings. There is room for all of us in the Kingdom of God.

Edited by nunsense

maximillion

[quote][color=#282828]Nuns sure are wordy. [/color][/quote]

We have lots of time to think, and are wordy when the occasion demands, - but boy, can we do silence!!!!!!!

BRAVO Sr. Marie!!! As I have said in other threads, your maturity is very much needed among this, seemingly (at times), immature website following. God Bless You Sister...

dominicansoul

[quote name='Sister Marie' timestamp='1335306305' post='2422888']
You are right... all of us have different experiences. The question is, can you accept others experiences as easily as you expect your own to be accepted? What do you think caused those sisters to be so hardened? Could it be that a bishop didn't like their general superior? or their foundress? and so he banished her from her sisters (which is what happened in my community's EXPERIENCE)? Could it be that a priest raped the little boys those sisters were teaching? Could it be that they told and a bishop shut them up? Could it be that they were treated like dirt by their superiors; called names, wrongfully accused of indiscretions? Could it be that they were well educated and treated like stupid children? I'm sorry was all of that too unpleasant, too messy, too uncomfortable? It's unpleasant because it is the truth of what some sisters have lived through. It's unpleasant because it's not right. I wish things were as neat and clean and black and white as you want them to be - it would make right and wrong so easy to discern.
[/quote]

...none of these are reasons to be disobedient to the Magisterium of the Church or be dissident in Church teachings...

AccountDeleted

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1335540724' post='2423938']
...none of these are reasons to be disobedient to the Magisterium of the Church or be dissident in Church teachings...
[/quote]

Absolutely correct DS, but nowhere in Sr Marie's post did I see any such intimation. In fact, she has shown only an amazing amount of charity in all of her posts on phatmass and is a great example for all of us of someone who is faithful without being judgmental of others. I have very grave concerns myself about the leadership of the LCWR but I never want to judge one community or one sister on their faithfulness simply because their congregation is a member of the LCWR. And the OP of this thread was not about the LCWR - it was about the loss of a dearly beloved motherhouse and the pain that is inflicting on those who have to leave.

Things with the LCWR will no doubt change (hopefully for the better) over time as Archbishop Sartain does his work, but I can foresee much pain over this issue for everyone, many hostilities and many being hurt. We can all benefit from Sr Marie's example in treating each other and all others with charity while the drama unfolds. Christ will be looking for every lost lamb during the process.

Lil'Monster

I think this post needs some humor

like my face for instance............

or this:

:picknose:

:P

edit: cuz i forgot one dang word...I forgot think...and I forgot to think as well

Edited by Lil'Monster

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axVOA96tWOA[/media]

--
and some relevent thoughts from Fr. John [i]Zuhlsdorf and folks....[/i]
http://wdtprs.com/blog/2012/04/tweeting-for-the-magisterium-of-nuns/
-
http://wdtprs.com/blog/2012/04/an-examination-of-themes-of-keynote-speeches-delivered-at-lcwr-assemblies/
-
http://wdtprs.com/blog/2012/04/nuns-gone-wild-a-trip-down-memory-lane/
-
http://wdtprs.com/blog/2012/04/wapo-politics-writer-on-the-sspx-lcwr-cdf-usccb-reading-this-may-make-you-a-little-stupider/
-
http://wdtprs.com/blog/2012/04/lcwr-having-a-bad-day-vatican-names-archbishop-delegate-continue-watching-lcwr-and-network/
PAX

Edited by EJames2

she_who_is_not

[quote name='EJames2' timestamp='1335881618' post='2425628']
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axVOA96tWOA[/media]

--

PAX
[/quote]

That man is ridiculous and dangerous.

beatitude

[quote name='she_who_is_not' timestamp='1335882534' post='2425632']
[/quote]

At first I thought it was a comedy clip. :(

I agree with you.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='she_who_is_not' timestamp='1335882534' post='2425632']
[/quote]

and frank in his opinions and honest about where he sees the Church today. There are wonderful, holy, God -fearing saints- in -the making sisters/nuns out there, they are simply not extremely visible.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' timestamp='1335889970' post='2425657']
and frank in his opinions and honest about where he sees the Church today. There are wonderful, holy, God -fearing saints- in -the making sisters/nuns out there, they are simply not extremely visible.
[/quote]

But the problem with what he says is that he acts as if there are no good and holy nuns/sisters left, which is quite frankly an insult to those good sisters. There are those who are no longer loyal to the teachings of the Church, yes, but there are also a very many who are.
And it's clearly no secret where he lies on the whole 'habit-no habit' issue, and I think his assumptions on the subject are unfair.

Not to mention there have been doubts about his own obedience to his bishop so he's not really one to talk IMO.

cmotherofpirl

He is not talking about ALL religious, but specific dissident women. Is he over the top? Yes. Is he making good points? absolutely. I was taught by and have met some of the people to whom he is referring.