An Old School Catholic Message Board

Ave's Countdown And Musings

AveMariaPurissima

AveMariaPurissima

[quote name='Jennirom' timestamp='1336988461' post='2430439']
That 's some list. !! How will you manage to carry it all ? .
The Monastery grounds look absolutely beautiful.
[/quote]
I have no idea... :unsure:
The grounds are amazingly beautiful, though -- even more so when you're actually there. One of my favorite parts is how the window in the chapel looks out on to the pond. Since it faces east, we get to see the sunrise during Office and Lauds. It's breathtaking...
[quote name='Mary's Margaret' timestamp='1336998382' post='2430449']
from TextileGlossary.com: Panama Linen is...
[background=rgb(241,241,248)] A plain weave fabric traditionally of cotton or wool. Used for summer suitings and dresses.[/background]
[background=rgb(241,241,248)]Perhaps it's what they use for their veils?...'though with the length of the veil, that might be a bit heavy.[/background]

[background=rgb(241,241,248)]What puzzled me was the need for 6 bath towels!?[/background]
[/quote]
Thanks for the info on the fabric.
Six towels didn't actually strike me as a lot (except, now that I think of it, in terms of packing). Maybe that's because at our house we actually wash and dry towels between uses, so 6 towels is enough for about a week. At least, that's how it struck me...Whenever I've done live-ins there, I've always brought my own towels from home, so I don't really know what the Sisters do with theirs...

Whoever mentioned it, though, is right: 10 meters (which is a little more than 10 yards) is an absurdly huge amount of fabric!

Here's a link to a news article about the Sisters. It has a lot of nice photos too. Enjoy!
[url="http://www.mlive.com/living/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2011/10/trinitarians_of_mary_live_quie.html"]http://www.mlive.com..._live_quie.html[/url]

Edited by AveMariaPurissima

No way to know for sure, but my bet is that the white linen is the veils and/or the under tunic.

HAS to be.... unless you are making sheet or table cloths... or a wedding gown! :)

[img]http://media.mlive.com/grandrapidspress/photo/10162158-standard.jpg[/img]

[img]http://media.mlive.com/grandrapidspress/photo/10162160-standard.jpg[/img]

[img]http://media.mlive.com/grandrapidspress/photo/-226bbb98032eb51c.jpg[/img]

Strictlyinkblot

[quote name='EmilyAnn' timestamp='1337067157' post='2430798']
WOW that's a long veil!
[/quote]

Agreed, I could see myself catching a veil like that in just about every door I go through. Revolving doors and elevators would be dangerous!!!

[quote name='Strictlyinkblot' timestamp='1337068041' post='2430804']
Agreed, I could see myself catching a veil like that in just about every door I go through. Revolving doors and elevators would be dangerous!!!
[/quote]

And cooking! If there was a gust of wind, whoosh - straight in the flame!

Strictlyinkblot

[quote name='EmilyAnn' timestamp='1337068113' post='2430806']
And cooking! If there was a gust of wind, whoosh - straight in the flame!
[/quote]

And definitely no smoking!!!

Bus doors? Yowie!

But it certainly is beautiful.

Is there perhaps an option for a shorter veil (or tucking it inside somehow) when appropriate for needs of ministry and/or work?

Edited by AnneLine

Strictlyinkblot

[quote name='AnneLine' timestamp='1337068307' post='2430809']
Bus doors? Yowie!

But it certainly is beautiful.

Is there perhaps an option for a shorter veil (or tucking it inside somehow) when appropriate for needs of ministry and/or work?
[/quote]

Most orders I know of have a shorter veil for working. I'm sure for safety they must have something or a way to tie the veil up, a little like hooking up the habit.

That's what I was thinking, Anne. I know of other communities that have a modified habit for some kinds of work where the regular habit would be impractical.

OnlySunshine

Those veils are really pretty, but I wonder if they cause headaches when the Sister begins wearing them after they are invested? I hope they are made with a really light material like modal. :)

Or maybe they wear them on solemn occasions, the way the Sisters of Ephesus wear their blue and red veils when in choir?

Do you know Ave? We're curious!

Edited by AnneLine

Queen'sDaughter

I have to say, whether the veils cause headaches or not, they have the corner on amesomeness. I love those long, sweeping veils! (And of course we just enter the order whose habit we like the best.... :hehe2: )

she_who_is_not

Ave,. where will you spend your postulancy and novitiate? In the US or Mexico? Do you have be fluent in Spanish to enter?

AveMariaPurissima

[quote name='AnneLine' timestamp='1337068082' post='2430805']
I'd wondered about the veil, too. Is there a significance for it being so long, Ave?
[/quote]
The Sisters wear such long veils because in all her apparitions, Our Lady of Fatima appeared with a very long veil. (At least, that's what I remember hearing.)

Another thing about the veils: The novices wear shorter veils and smaller Miraculous Medals:
[img]http://www.trinitariansofmary.org/images/About%20Us/Contemplatives/Hna_Esperanza.jpg[/img]

The professed Sisters wear the long veils and the large Miraculous Medals, which you've seen in other pictures.