An Old School Catholic Message Board

Gays In Military

dairygirl4u2c

40 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Laudate_Dominum

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiS8YokFzeY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiS8YokFzeY[/url]

Laudate_Dominum

It's my first time clicking this thread and I'm incapable of reading the 14 pages.

I voted Yes (with a "sure, why not" tone), and Yes (with an "I guess" tone).

Laudate_Dominum

But for the record I'd much prefer the establishment of world peace and the invention of warp drive.

Vincent Vega

[quote]11. There are areas in which it is not unjust discrimination to take sexual orientation into account, for example...in employment of teachers or athletic coaches, and in military recruitment.[/quote]

I'm glad this document is not binding. In a Catholic state, I agree that homosexual teachers, coaches, and soldiers should be disallowed. In a secular state, I see no reason they should be disallowed anymore than adulterers or chronic masturbators.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1338429453' post='2438312']
I'm glad this document is not binding. In a Catholic state, I agree that homosexual teachers, coaches, and soldiers should be disallowed. In a secular state, I see no reason they should be disallowed anymore than adulterers or chronic masturbators.
[/quote]

I'm sorry to disappoint you but it is binding and sometimes obligatory.

KnightofChrist

"[color=#000000][font=Times][size=5][background=rgb(247, 247, 247)]2. Homosexual persons, as human persons, have the same rights as all persons including the right of not being treated in a manner which offends their personal dignity (cf. No. 10). Among other rights, all persons have the right to work, to housing, etc. [/background][/size][/font][/color][u]Nevertheless, these rights are not absolute. They can be legitimately limited for objectively disordered external conduct. [/u][color=#ff0000][u][b]This is sometimes not only licit but obligatory[/b][/u][/color][u][b].[/b] This would obtain moreover not only in the case of culpable behavior but even in the case of actions of the physically or mentally ill. Thus it is accepted that the state may restrict the exercise of rights, for example, in the case of contagious or mentally ill persons, in order to protect the common good."[/u]

[font=Times]--[url="http://www.ewtn.com/library/curia/cdfhomol.htm"]The Congregation of the Doctrine of the Faith[/url]."[/font]

Vincent Vega

[quote name='KnightofChrist' timestamp='1338430576' post='2438320']
I'm sorry to disappoint you but it is binding
[/quote]
Do you have a source for this? I'd like to know for sure, but it isn't easy to tell what is and isn't binding. For instance, this: [url="http://www.ewtn.com/library/papaldoc/jp2ordin.htm"]http://www.ewtn.com/library/papaldoc/jp2ordin.htm[/url]
is binding, but it also is much more strongly worded at the end:
[quote][color=#000000]Wherefore, in order that all doubt may be removed regarding a matter of great importance, a matter which pertains to the Church's divine constitution itself, in virtue of my ministry of confirming the brethren (cf. <Lk> 22:32) I declare that the Church has no authority whatsoever to confer priestly ordination on women and that this judgment is to be definitively held by all the Church's faithful.[/color][color=#000000]
Invoking an abundance of divine assistance upon you, venerable Brothers, and upon all the faithful, I impart my Apostolic Blessing.[/color]
[color=#000000]From the Vatican, on 22 May, the Solemnity of Pentecost, in the year 1994, the sixteenth of my Pontificate.[/color][/quote]

This document has nothing nearly as grave sounding.

Of course, that document is about an absolute teaching of the Church, and this one is about what jobs a gay person should have, so I can see why the gravity of one might be greater than of the other.

[quote name='KnightofChrist' timestamp='1338430639' post='2438322']
[b]"2. Homosexual persons, as human persons, have the same rights as all persons including the right of not being treated in a manner which offends their personal dignity (cf. No. 10). Among other rights, all persons have the right to work, to housing, etc.[/b]
[/quote]

This is the part that I see as important. They have a right to work. sweet, that's established, looks like we can answer US's question.

[quote]
Nevertheless, these rights are not absolute. They can be legitimately limited for objectively disordered external conduct.This is sometimes not only licit but obligatory. This would obtain moreover not only in the case of culpable behavior but even in the case of actions of the physically or mentally ill. Thus it is accepted that the state may restrict the exercise of rights, for example, in the case of contagious or mentally ill persons, in order to protect the common good." --[url="http://www.ewtn.com/library/curia/cdfhomol.htm"]The Congregation of the Doctrine of the Faith[/url]."
[/quote]

Ok, their rights can be limited because of misconduct. I feel like just about everyone here would agree with this. However, it doesn't say that they HAVE to be. It does go on to say that sometimes, it is even mandatory to limit such rights. But the document is vague; it doesn't say that "if a person commits homosexual acts, they forfeit their right to a job". Granted, I haven't looked at the entire document, but based on this little section, I still don't see where this is absolute proof that your point is proven.

I would wonder if they are talking of any disordered acts, or merely ones of a certain gravity. It doesn't seem clear to me that the Church's position would be that they should be automatically discriminated against in hiring. Maybe I'm reading wrong?

Also, I'd like to apologize for laming up the thread earlier. KoC, you're right, just because Socrates responds one way, doesn't mean we should all respond in turn. And Socrates, I DO respect you position, and admire you zeal for the teaching of the Church, I just wish you didn't feel the need to be so unpleasant in displaying it.

[quote name='Amppax' timestamp='1338433574' post='2438363']
This is the part that I see as important. They have a right to work. sweet, that's established, looks like we can answer US's question.

Ok, their rights can be limited because of misconduct. I feel like just about everyone here would agree with this. However, it doesn't say that they HAVE to be. It does go on to say that sometimes, it is even mandatory to limit such rights. But the document is vague; it doesn't say that "if a person commits homosexual acts, they forfeit their right to a job". Granted, I haven't looked at the entire document, but based on this little section, I still don't see where this is absolute proof that your point is proven.

I would wonder if they are talking of any disordered acts, or merely ones of a certain gravity. It doesn't seem clear to me that the Church's position would be that they should be automatically discriminated against in hiring. Maybe I'm reading wrong?

Also, I'd like to apologize for laming up the thread earlier. KoC, you're right, just because Socrates responds one way, doesn't mean we should all respond in turn. And Socrates, I DO respect you position, and admire you zeal for the teaching of the Church, I just wish you didn't feel the need to be so unpleasant in displaying it.
[/quote]I'm going to answer this with a question/analogy.

Should a Catholic school hire a teacher/professor who constantly flaunts the authority of the Church? Should such a school be open to all points of view, regardless?

If a university has that privilege, then does a high school have it as well? What about a middle school? An elementary school?

My point is that at some point a person's (open) beliefs can cause harm and scandal for those over whom they have an influence. If an elementary school teacher (particularly in a Catholic school) lives an openly gay lifestyle and makes it known, then he could cause scandal to young children. It's very difficult to hear that the Church does not approve of homosexual sexual activities on the one hand and have a teacher who (implicitly or explicitly) disagrees on the other.

Also, the document KoC has posted could also be extended to pedophiles. Pedophiles ought to be discriminated against when hiring. It's not a reflection of the person, but of his actions. That's what's at stake here and why discrimination can be licit.

Discrimination based on a person's actions is not wrong in and of itself. It just can't be.

...and with that, the thread should end.

We can all agree to disagree on the subject at hand, united in the common belief that Soc's zeal for...ehem...instructing...can (sometimes) be unpleasant.

Vincent Vega

[quote name='qfnol31' timestamp='1338434173' post='2438376']
I'm going to answer this with a question/analogy.

Should a Catholic school hire a teacher/professor who constantly flaunts the authority of the Church? Should such a school be open to all points of view, regardless?

If a university has that privilege, then does a high school have it as well? What about a middle school? An elementary school?

My point is that at some point a person's (open) beliefs can cause harm and scandal for those over whom they have an influence. If an elementary school teacher (particularly in a Catholic school) lives an openly gay lifestyle and makes it known, then he could cause scandal to young children. It's very difficult to hear that the Church does not approve of homosexual sexual activities on the one hand and have a teacher who (implicitly or explicitly) disagrees on the other.

Also, the document KoC has posted could also be extended to pedophiles. Pedophiles ought to be discriminated against when hiring. It's not a reflection of the person, but of his actions. That's what's at stake here and why discrimination can be licit.

Discrimination based on a person's actions is not wrong in and of itself. It just can't be.
[/quote]
I agree that a Catholic school should not hire anyone leading an actively homosexual lifestyle, or anyone who flouts Catholic teaching for that matter. Neither should the Swiss Guard.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='kujo' timestamp='1338434275' post='2438380']
...and with that, the thread should end.
[/quote]
I just got here. :sadwalk:

[quote name='qfnol31' timestamp='1338434173' post='2438376']
I'm going to answer this with a question/analogy.

My point is that at some point a person's (open) beliefs can cause harm and scandal for those over whom they have an influence. If an elementary school teacher (particularly in a Catholic school) lives an openly gay lifestyle and makes it known, then he could cause scandal to young children. It's very difficult to hear that the Church does not approve of homosexual sexual activities on the one hand and have a teacher who (implicitly or explicitly) disagrees on the other.[/QUOTE]

I have no problem with a teacher allowing students to know that he or she is gay within a certain range. To the same extent that a teacher married to an opposite sex partner is permitted to mention their relationship within a certain range. Obviously that is a very narrow range. A student knowing the homosexuality exists is not harmful to them.

[QUOTE]Also, the document KoC has posted could also be extended to pedophiles. Pedophiles ought to be discriminated against when hiring. It's not a reflection of the person, but of his actions. That's what's at stake here and why discrimination can be licit.

[/quote]

Because those actions are harmful to the children.

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' timestamp='1338431475' post='2438328']
Didn't realize people were that worried about surprise buttsecks.
[/quote]

I asked Matt. He says they're not.