sixpence Posted June 5, 2012 Posted June 5, 2012 I'm pretty bored and I don't hangout in the lame board too much, so I felt like making a random bug thread. Post fun bug pics or questions about bugs!! [img]http://www.incolo.us/images/Praying_Mantis.jpg[/img]
sixpence Posted June 5, 2012 Author Posted June 5, 2012 FYI: to the public the word "bug" refers to any type of crawling thing you can think of... centipedes, millipedes, scorpions, insects, worms, spiders, etc. to entomologists the word "bug" refers Specifically to Insects within the Order Hemiptera. This includes things like aphids, stinkbugs, leafhoppers, cicadas, assassin bugs etc.
Anomaly Posted June 5, 2012 Posted June 5, 2012 Which bugs are the most often eaten voluntarily? Have you eaten bugs and if so, what are got favorite?
Maximilianus Posted June 5, 2012 Posted June 5, 2012 do assassin bugs get hired by other insects to change the course of political events in the insect world.
MissyP89 Posted June 5, 2012 Posted June 5, 2012 This thread gives me the creeps. You are pretty much my hero. What bug is your favorite and why? And why did you decide to become an entomologist?
Papist Posted June 5, 2012 Posted June 5, 2012 [quote name='sixpence' timestamp='1338865851' post='2441060'] FYI: to the public the word "bug" refers to any type of crawling thing you can think of... centipedes, millipedes, scorpions, insects, worms, spiders, etc. to entomologists the word "bug" refers Specifically to Insects within the Order Hemiptera. This includes things like aphids, [b]stinkbug[/b]s, leafhoppers, cicadas, assassin bugs etc. [/quote] I think we have a fiddler for the word hasan.
sixpence Posted June 5, 2012 Author Posted June 5, 2012 (edited) [quote name='Anomaly' timestamp='1338868598' post='2441075'] Which bugs are the most often eaten voluntarily? Have you eaten bugs and if so, what are got favorite? [/quote] I would guess that various types of larvae are most popular (caterpillars, grubs, etc), cause they are soft and usually have a good amount of fat (in preparation for metamorphosis) I have only intentionally eaten termites and waxworms... raw, the termites win, they taste like plant material; fried, the waxworms win, they are really fatty and taste like sunflower seed! [quote name='Maximilianus' timestamp='1338869386' post='2441079'] do assassin bugs get hired by other insects to change the course of political events in the insect world. [/quote] Well... they do impact the insect world...but I dunno about politics .. some species (called kissing bugs) transmit Chagas... which is a yucky disease you can get in parts of S. America... efforts are underway to improve poor housing conditions to prevent these bugs from getting in, but this is probably effecting other local bugs too!! [quote name='MissyP89' timestamp='1338870624' post='2441089'] This thread gives me the creeps. You are pretty much my hero. What bug is your favorite and why? And why did you decide to become an entomologist? [/quote] if you mean "bug"as the top definition... Onychophora (velvet worms); if you mean things in Hemiptera... umm... probably assassin bugs, with water-striders second. I became an entomologist because they best thing I could think of for a major was actuarial science... and my dad mentioned to me that I could major in entomology, which I didn't realize. I always like insects since i was like 3. [quote name='Papist' timestamp='1338897458' post='2441134'] I think we have a fiddler for the word hasan. [/quote] Edited June 5, 2012 by sixpence
Papist Posted June 5, 2012 Posted June 5, 2012 I read this book as a child. [img]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-yKKCmjAKMZw/T3Xuz1y2OXI/AAAAAAAAAtU/ifjQPdqSDUE/s1600/how%2Bto%2Beat%2Bfried%2Bworms%2Bchildren%2527s%2Bbook.jpg[/img]
Lisa Posted June 5, 2012 Posted June 5, 2012 [img]http://www.futurity.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/honeybee_cornell_1.jpg[/img] [i]Apis mellifera[/i]
Papist Posted June 5, 2012 Posted June 5, 2012 A yellow jacket put me in the hospital for about 8 hours in Atlanta.
IcePrincessKRS Posted June 5, 2012 Posted June 5, 2012 I just asked my kids if they had any bug questions. My son just said "I love bugs!"
Anomaly Posted June 5, 2012 Posted June 5, 2012 [quote name='mysisterisalittlesister' timestamp='1338912349' post='2441203'] Ants taste like strawberries [/quote]Added to my bucket list... Strawberry ants. Wait. Aren't those black things on strawberries ants any way?
Papist Posted June 6, 2012 Posted June 6, 2012 I seen this a couple of times in NC. What kind of ant mutation is it? [img]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-etsE8oq5Yos/TicunjiwbCI/AAAAAAAAA_M/jaTCf3-q3xw/s1600/DSC09559+copy.jpg[/img]
sixpence Posted June 6, 2012 Author Posted June 6, 2012 Hahaha its NOT an ant.. although the common name is "velvet ant".. its actually a wing-less wasp (Mutillidae)! If you look underneath they have a REALLY nice stinger!! In some places, some species are called "cow-killers"
Laudate_Dominum Posted June 6, 2012 Posted June 6, 2012 I like this. Beauty. Thread good. Maor pictchas pleese.
Papist Posted June 6, 2012 Posted June 6, 2012 [quote name='sixpence' timestamp='1339000519' post='2441787'] Hahaha its NOT an ant.. although the common name is "velvet ant".. its actually a wing-less wasp (Mutillidae)! If you look underneath they have a REALLY nice stinger!! In some places, some species are called "cow-killers" [/quote] Good that I trusted my instinct and not pick it up. I am going to get my 5yo with me on here. He will have some questions.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now