sixpence Posted June 16, 2012 Author Posted June 16, 2012 [quote name='TheresaThoma' timestamp='1339807127' post='2445238'] Ooo, I have a question, why do ants hate coffee? I had ants EVERYWHERE in my apartment (now they are almost gone) except for the "coffee cupboard", they never went in there. [/quote] I actually never heard of this one... I looked it up, most info is really vague, I did see one paper that mentions that some of the volatiles in roast coffee are very similar to the alarm pheromones in some ants! Alarm pheromones are used by ants/bees/wasps to indicate to one another something is dangerous. For example, when a bee stings, she releases alarm pheromone, marking you as a target for her nest-mates!
Papist Posted June 18, 2012 Posted June 18, 2012 Thanks sixpence! My son pesters me every time I am on the computer to look at the atlas moth.
sixpence Posted June 18, 2012 Author Posted June 18, 2012 [quote name='Papist' timestamp='1340051038' post='2445967'] Thanks sixpence! My son pesters me every time I am on the computer to look at the atlas moth. [/quote] Just print out a picture!!!!
Papist Posted June 18, 2012 Posted June 18, 2012 [quote name='sixpence' timestamp='1340051880' post='2445977'] Just print out a picture!!!! [/quote] Brilliant...but will that set a bad precedent?
Lisa Posted June 19, 2012 Posted June 19, 2012 [quote name='sixpence' timestamp='1339859893' post='2445343'] For example, when a bee stings, she releases alarm pheromone, marking you as a target for her nest-mates! [/quote] Ever notice how it smells like bananas??
Papist Posted June 19, 2012 Posted June 19, 2012 (edited) Check out these cooI origami insects. [img]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_mmBw3uzPnJI/SRGg1mFibpI/AAAAAAAAVlI/yOSlsEToE64/s400/insect_origami_15.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.funis2cool.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/realistic-origami-01.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.intominto.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/origami-leafkatydid.jpg[/img] Edited June 19, 2012 by Papist
sixpence Posted June 19, 2012 Author Posted June 19, 2012 [quote name='Papist' timestamp='1340057585' post='2446014'] Brilliant...but will that set a bad precedent? [/quote] limit 1 per week!! [quote name='Lisa' timestamp='1340065630' post='2446055'] Ever notice how it smells like bananas?? [/quote] that is why u should not eat bananas before tending ur hives.... [quote name='Papist' timestamp='1340071411' post='2446092'] Check out these cooI origami insects. [url="http://www.damncoolpictures.com/2008/11/insect-origami.html"]http://www.damncoolp...ct-origami.html[/url] [/quote] want...
LinaSt.Cecilia2772 Posted June 19, 2012 Posted June 19, 2012 Has anyone of you tried the bug candy with worms and other tiny creatures in it?? It looks like this. [img]http://www.odditycentral.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/insect-candy9.jpg[/img] Or this [img]http://img.designswan.com/2010/01/insectCandy/1.jpg[/img] Or the tasty chocolate covered scorpion [img]http://www.odditycentral.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/insect-candy6.jpg[/img]
Clare~Therese Posted June 19, 2012 Posted June 19, 2012 So I was looking through the pictures on Google+. Muy bien!
xTrishaxLynnx Posted June 19, 2012 Posted June 19, 2012 [quote name='TheresaThoma' timestamp='1339807127' post='2445238'] Ooo, I have a question, why do ants hate coffee? I had ants EVERYWHERE in my apartment (now they are almost gone) except for the "coffee cupboard", they never went in there. [/quote] They must not up here, because they crawl all over the coffee pot *shudder*
Papist Posted June 19, 2012 Posted June 19, 2012 I ate a candy with a bug it. I ask what kind of bug it was. The store owner said, "Bug?".
brianthephysicist Posted June 19, 2012 Posted June 19, 2012 Hey idk if you have any expertise in this area, but my apartment has come to be under siege by fleas. What is the best course of action?
Papist Posted June 19, 2012 Posted June 19, 2012 [quote name='brianthephysicist' timestamp='1340114193' post='2446255'] Hey idk if you have any expertise in this area, but my apartment has come to be under siege by fleas. What is the best course of action? [/quote] Wear a flea collar.
Papist Posted June 19, 2012 Posted June 19, 2012 [quote name='brianthephysicist' timestamp='1340114193' post='2446255'] Hey idk if you have any expertise in this area, but my apartment has come to be under siege by fleas. What is the best course of action? [/quote] Seriously...[url="http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-get-rid-of-fleas/"]http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-get-rid-of-fleas/[/url]
sixpence Posted June 19, 2012 Author Posted June 19, 2012 [quote name='LinaSt.Cecilia2772' timestamp='1340078204' post='2446155'] Has anyone of you tried the bug candy with worms and other tiny creatures in it?? [/quote] Yeh but I was not patient enough to get to the cricket.... I've pan-fried waxworms and I've had fresh termites in the Caribbean.
Papist Posted June 20, 2012 Posted June 20, 2012 [img]http://cdn2.listsoplenty.com/listsoplenty-cdn/pix/uploads/2010/11/close-up-insect-picture-2.jpg[/img]
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now