Laudate_Dominum Posted June 6, 2012 Posted June 6, 2012 I have a huge metazoa folder on my puter which contains innumerable beauteous insect pics. A subset of it exists as an album on Google+. I'm tempted to spam this thread with its contents.
Laudate_Dominum Posted June 6, 2012 Posted June 6, 2012 The only thing stopping me is the thread's title: [b][u]Six's[/u][/b] Random Bug Thread. C'est la vie.
Papist Posted June 7, 2012 Posted June 7, 2012 [quote name='Laudate_Dominum' timestamp='1339025528' post='2441970'] The only thing stopping me is the thread's title: [b][u]Six's[/u][/b] Random Bug Thread. C'est la vie. [/quote] She might appreciate the bug pics. She can enlighten us of facts. I'm sure my son would love to see the pics.
Laudate_Dominum Posted June 7, 2012 Posted June 7, 2012 [quote name='Papist' timestamp='1339028940' post='2441992'] She might appreciate the bug pics. She can enlighten us of facts. I'm sure my son would love to see the pics. [/quote] [url="https://plus.google.com/photos/113715582926531404965/albums/5673734743508109569"]Metazoa Album[/url]
Papist Posted June 7, 2012 Posted June 7, 2012 [quote name='Laudate_Dominum' timestamp='1339053031' post='2442111'] [url="https://plus.google.com/photos/113715582926531404965/albums/5673734743508109569"]Metazoa Album[/url] [/quote] Thanks LD. My son is going to love these.
sixpence Posted June 7, 2012 Author Posted June 7, 2012 too many pics!!! AHHH!! Some really nice pics though, LD! Why you have 5 million insect pics... interspersed with naked mole rats and lions???
Laudate_Dominum Posted June 7, 2012 Posted June 7, 2012 [quote name='sixpence' timestamp='1339072976' post='2442134'] too many pics!!! AHHH!! Some really nice pics though, LD! Why you have 5 million insect pics... interspersed with naked mole rats and lions??? [/quote] It's a subset of a huge folder I have on my computer that is intended to capture an impression of the kingdom animalia, but some phyla are not adequately represented at the moment. It's definitely a work in progress. :-D I have a similar folder dedicated to angiosperms. As I'm sure you know, the number and variety of angiosperms out there is freakin huge. Funny that they're such evolutionary new comers. I love, love, love angiosperms and metazoa. It just happens that members of these groups produce most of my favorite molecules too. There are some super fascinating aroma compounds, hormones, hallucinogens, and venoms out there. The world is so razzle dazzle...
Laudate_Dominum Posted June 7, 2012 Posted June 7, 2012 [quote name='Papist' timestamp='1339072115' post='2442132'] Thanks LD. My son is going to love these. [/quote] Yay! My son loves looking at pics of life forms too. They are definitely fun to look at and can sure stir the imagination. It would be nice to go through and add descriptions for each pic for those time when our kids point at every obscure creature and say, what's this?
Laudate_Dominum Posted June 7, 2012 Posted June 7, 2012 [quote name='Laudate_Dominum' timestamp='1339099090' post='2442256'] It's a subset of a huge folder I have on my computer that is intended to capture an impression of the kingdom animalia, but some phyla are not adequately represented at the moment. It's definitely a work in progress. :-D[/quote] P.S. What would be really amesome would be to have such a folder, randomly sorted for the impressionistic quality, but setup so that each phyla (and maybe taxonomic groups below phylum) are represented more or less as they are in reality. If this were the case it would be quite rare to come upon something like a lion, or a naked mole rat, as opposed to something like a beetle. This would add educational value, perhaps. That was my original idea but I've not really implemented it.
Laudate_Dominum Posted June 7, 2012 Posted June 7, 2012 P.P.S. I also freakin' love spiders. When Luthien and I were first married she hated spiders and would freak out if a spider was in our house and want it dead. Now she loves spiders and considers it amesome when a big, interesting spider is in our house. "Honey, come here, there's a really razzle dazzle spider under my desk." Success.
Papist Posted June 7, 2012 Posted June 7, 2012 [quote name='Laudate_Dominum' timestamp='1339099601' post='2442257'] Yay! My son loves looking at pics of life forms too. They are definitely fun to look at and can sure stir the imagination. It would be nice to go through and add descriptions for each pic for those time when our kids point at every obscure creature and say, what's this? [/quote] Yes. That is what he is doing. "Daddy, what's that called? what's that called? what's that called? what's that called? what's that called? what's that called? what's that called? what's that called? what's that called? what's that called? what's that called? what's that called? what's that called? what's that called? what's that called? what's that called? what's that called? what's that called? what's that called? what's that called? what's that called? what's that called? what's that called? what's that called? what's that called? what's that called? what's that called? what's that called? what's that called? what's that called? what's that called? what's that called? what's that called? what's that called? what's that called? what's that called? what's that called? what's that called? what's that called? what's that called? what's that called? what's that called? what's that called? what's that called? what's that called? what's that called? what's that called? what's that called? what's that called? what's that called?"
eagle_eye222001 Posted June 7, 2012 Posted June 7, 2012 Well LD just showed us all. I was going to post something.....but I have been clearly beaten.
eagle_eye222001 Posted June 7, 2012 Posted June 7, 2012 [img]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-9eFkk44zXsA/Tr0oQN8-mwI/AAAAAAAAAeU/_VejYaZP224/w365-h277-n-k/1824-1277.jpg[/img] This guy looks pretty razzle dazzle.
Laudate_Dominum Posted June 8, 2012 Posted June 8, 2012 [quote name='eagle_eye222001' timestamp='1339107254' post='2442290'] [img]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-9eFkk44zXsA/Tr0oQN8-mwI/AAAAAAAAAeU/_VejYaZP224/w365-h277-n-k/1824-1277.jpg[/img] This guy looks pretty razzle dazzle. [/quote] So gorgeous.
Papist Posted June 8, 2012 Posted June 8, 2012 [quote name='eagle_eye222001' timestamp='1339107254' post='2442290'] [img]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-9eFkk44zXsA/Tr0oQN8-mwI/AAAAAAAAAeU/_VejYaZP224/w365-h277-n-k/1824-1277.jpg[/img] This guy looks pretty razzle dazzle. [/quote] I can't believe you picked this to post. I said to my 5yo son, "Look at that razzle dazzle blue dragonfly". The little cuss said, "No. That's a damselfly".
Laudate_Dominum Posted June 8, 2012 Posted June 8, 2012 I name this creature Snuggles. [img]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Zwi3OJEizcs/Tr0wf8chtsI/AAAAAAAACNM/4pMwO39h1Vo/s1206/9392-1588.jpg[/img]
eagle_eye222001 Posted June 8, 2012 Posted June 8, 2012 [quote name='Papist' timestamp='1339114981' post='2442340'] I can't believe you picked this to post. I said to my 5yo son, "Look at that razzle dazzle blue dragonfly". The little cuss said, "No. That's a damselfly". [/quote]
MissyP89 Posted June 8, 2012 Posted June 8, 2012 [quote name='Papist' timestamp='1338996527' post='2441759'] I seen this a couple of times in NC. What kind of ant mutation is it?[/quote] Your grammar in this post makes me inconsolably sad. I weep. I WEEP! [quote name='Papist' timestamp='1339106565' post='2442287'] Yes. That is what he is doing. "Daddy, what's that called? what's that called? what's that called? what's that called? what's that called? what's that called? what's that called? what's that called? what's that called? what's that called? what's that called? what's that called? what's that called? what's that called? what's that called? what's that called? what's that called? what's that called? what's that called? what's that called? what's that called? what's that called? what's that called? what's that called? what's that called? what's that called? what's that called? what's that called? what's that called? what's that called? what's that called? what's that called? what's that called? what's that called? what's that called? what's that called? what's that called? what's that called? what's that called? what's that called? what's that called? what's that called? what's that called? what's that called? what's that called? what's that called? what's that called? what's that called? what's that called? what's that called?" [/quote] PLEASE LET ME PLAY WITH HIM??????
Papist Posted June 8, 2012 Posted June 8, 2012 [quote name='MissyP89' timestamp='1339126843' post='2442418'] Your grammar in this post makes me inconsolably sad. I weep. I WEEP! PLEASE LET ME PLAY WITH HIM?????? [/quote] Hey. Once you learned English can't no one change it. You'd enjoy playing with him. This one actually will sit still with you. His younger brother on the other hand....[img]http://asterisk.apod.com/images/smilies/facepalm.gif[/img]
Papist Posted June 9, 2012 Posted June 9, 2012 sixpence, my son has a couple questions. Why is giant swallowtail so big? Which is bigger, giant swallowtail or blue morpho? What is the biggest butterfly? What is the biggest moth?
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now