MissyP89 Posted August 9, 2012 Posted August 9, 2012 Yo Six! Update on the bug crawling around the trees at my place: Dad says it's some type of worm/larva. It's white with ribbed sections, and the head is bigger than the body. Too, it's making that ticking noise.
BG45 Posted August 10, 2012 Posted August 10, 2012 One of the people who graduated from my program posted this, I said I had an entomologist friend who might disagree: [img]https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/625608_259973147447650_1717044300_n.jpg[/img]
Lisa Posted August 10, 2012 Posted August 10, 2012 Beetle identification question for you: I had a dark green, about 1" long insect in my car. It appeared to have wing covers, so I'm definitely thinking beetle family. On the dorsal side, towards the back, there were 4 yellow spots, and along the sides, it had two long red marks. Any ideas?
xTrishaxLynnx Posted August 10, 2012 Posted August 10, 2012 [quote name='Papist' timestamp='1341943292' post='2454375'] Hey Six. I hope you are doing well. [img]http://cdn2.listsoplenty.com/listsoplenty-cdn/pix/uploads/2010/11/platycnemis_pennipes.jpg[/img] [/quote] Okay, there have been some pretty disgusting things in here, but THAT is a razzle dazzle bug. If it landed on me, I'd still freak out, but I can at least look at it without my skin crawling. [quote name='brianthephysicist' timestamp='1342033524' post='2454710'] So when I dip my hand into the holy water at a church I have trouble figuring out how far I need to dip my fingers in. The other day, I dipped way too deep and felt something at the bottom. I wanted to make sure no one had put trash in there, so I reached in again to take it out. It was a (dead) huge black beetle, bigger than the average roach. Scared the snot outta me so I dropped it in and had to fish it out a second time. Took it outside and threw it out. None of the other parishioners could see what was happening, just that I freaked out by the holy water, left, came back inside, and tried it again, so they looked like they wanted to come over tell me what to do. [/quote] That's so gross! I probably would have shrieked! But what it must have looked like is what gets me
sixpence Posted August 13, 2012 Author Posted August 13, 2012 [quote name='Papist' timestamp='1343819267' post='2461029'] Check this out Six, [img]http://cdn2.listsoplenty.com/listsoplenty-cdn/pix/uploads/2010/11/furry-caterpillar-close-up-picture.jpg[/img] [/quote] so cute! that's a milkweed tussock caterpillar! [quote name='Papist' timestamp='1343991868' post='2461965'] What the bleep is this? [img]http://cdn2.listsoplenty.com/listsoplenty-cdn/pix/uploads/2010/11/Scariest-centipede-ever-500x446.jpg[/img] [/quote] That is a disgusting, disgusting centipede! [quote name='BG45' timestamp='1344557761' post='2465264'] One of the people who graduated from my program posted this, I said I had an entomologist friend who might disagree: [img]https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/625608_259973147447650_1717044300_n.jpg[/img] [/quote] nope I hate mosquitoes too... except the beneficial kind
sixpence Posted August 13, 2012 Author Posted August 13, 2012 [quote name='Lisa' timestamp='1344560408' post='2465292'] Beetle identification question for you: I had a dark green, about 1" long insect in my car. It appeared to have wing covers, so I'm definitely thinking beetle family. On the dorsal side, towards the back, there were 4 yellow spots, and along the sides, it had two long red marks. Any ideas? [/quote] was it a green tiger beetle? [img]http://wiseacre-gardens.com/bugs/6-spotted-green-tiger-beetle.jpg[/img]
sixpence Posted August 13, 2012 Author Posted August 13, 2012 (edited) [quote name='Papist' timestamp='1344884921' post='2467062'] There's a beneficial kind? [/quote] yeh Tox... they are sooo big, the pupae look like little crawfish!! [b] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxorhynchites[/b] Edited August 13, 2012 by sixpence
sixpence Posted August 13, 2012 Author Posted August 13, 2012 (edited) [quote name='MissyP89' timestamp='1344538864' post='2465119'] Yo Six! Update on the bug crawling around the trees at my place: Dad says it's some type of worm/larva. It's white with ribbed sections, and the head is bigger than the body. Too, it's making that ticking noise. [/quote] It sound like the beetle's larvae! Here is a video of the adult anobiid tapping [url="http://www.arkive.org/death-watch-beetle/xestobium-rufovillosum/video-09a.html"]http://www.arkive.or.../video-09a.html[/url] or maybe it is a Buprestid? (also small wood-borers) [url="http://extension.missouri.edu/publications/DisplayPrinterFriendlyPub.aspx?P=g7422"]http://extension.mis...ub.aspx?P=g7422[/url] ALSO possible:: more than one species Edited August 13, 2012 by sixpence
Papist Posted August 13, 2012 Posted August 13, 2012 [quote name='sixpence' timestamp='1344885150' post='2467067'] yeh Tox... they are sooo big, the pupae look like little crawfish!! [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxorhynchites"]http://en.wikipedia..../Toxorhynchites[/url] [/quote] [img]http://sizemoreletter.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/SpockVulcan-150x150.jpg[/img] fascinating!
BG45 Posted August 13, 2012 Posted August 13, 2012 [quote name='sixpence' timestamp='1344884858' post='2467060'] nope I hate mosquitoes too... except the beneficial kind [/quote] I promise not to tell your colony that.
MissyP89 Posted August 13, 2012 Posted August 13, 2012 [quote name='sixpence' timestamp='1344885526' post='2467071'] It sound like the beetle's larvae! Here is a video of the adult anobiid tapping [url="http://www.arkive.org/death-watch-beetle/xestobium-rufovillosum/video-09a.html"]http://www.arkive.or.../video-09a.html[/url] or maybe it is a Buprestid? (also small wood-borers) [url="http://extension.missouri.edu/publications/DisplayPrinterFriendlyPub.aspx?P=g7422"]http://extension.mis...ub.aspx?P=g7422[/url] ALSO possible:: more than one species [/quote] He says the larvae looks closest to the Buprestid. He's all excited now. Haha. Thanks!!!
Papist Posted August 15, 2012 Posted August 15, 2012 Six, got this for my son for his birthday. [img]http://www.bioquip.com/prod_images/9821-001-The-Lifecycles-of-Butterflies.jpg[/img] [url="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1580176178/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0778706508&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1PY89BNRE17QDVPJZF0F"]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1580176178/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0778706508&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1PY89BNRE17QDVPJZF0F[/url]
Lisa Posted August 16, 2012 Posted August 16, 2012 [quote name='sixpence' timestamp='1344884932' post='2467063'] was it a green tiger beetle? [img]http://wiseacre-gardens.com/bugs/6-spotted-green-tiger-beetle.jpg[/img] [/quote] Nope, longer and skinnier, more greenish brown. More firefly shaped. razzle dazzle bug, though!
sixpence Posted August 16, 2012 Author Posted August 16, 2012 [quote name='Lisa' timestamp='1345079730' post='2468326'] Nope, longer and skinnier, more greenish brown. More firefly shaped. razzle dazzle bug, though! [/quote] i am imagining some type of greenish click beetle...but I can't find one that matches the description!
Papist Posted August 16, 2012 Posted August 16, 2012 There several black swallowtail caterpillars in our mini herb garden.
sixpence Posted August 25, 2012 Author Posted August 25, 2012 today I saw a pretty gulf fritillary [img]http://tolweb.org/tree/ToLimages/2187046.jpg[/img]
Papist Posted August 25, 2012 Posted August 25, 2012 [quote name='Papist' timestamp='1345114692' post='2468580'] There several black swallowtail caterpillars in our mini herb garden. [/quote] We collected one and now it is in its chrysalis stage in our butterfly habitat.
sixpence Posted August 26, 2012 Author Posted August 26, 2012 [quote name='Papist' timestamp='1345901430' post='2474053'] We collected one and now it is in its chrysalis stage in our butterfly habitat. [/quote] yey!!! pics??
Papist Posted August 27, 2012 Posted August 27, 2012 Gonna get pics. We used parsley for the caterpillar's host food b/c the thyme wan't right.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now