An Old School Catholic Message Board

Catholic Does Not Equal Gop

TheUbiquitous

TheUbiquitous

... nor Democrat.

This is, naturally, a false equivalency, but it is an important reminder. It is easily conceded that better-formed consciences will recognize that the GOP platform taken broadly, abstractly and squinting a little is theoretically moral whereas the Democratic platform, no matter how much you squint, is absolutely not.

However, we cannot mistake political convenience with co-belligerence, nor begin to identify partisan conservatism with Catholic political teaching just because Republicans so far get the two clearest non-negotiables clearly right.

This is one issue which would be healed with more Democrats like Rebecca Hamilton, but that's probably another issue.

[center]-----[/center]

(This has been a message from the Committee to Elect Sargeant Shriver / Al Smith.)

If there's a Constitution Party on the ballot (my friend says there will be, but I haven't found any information on it), then that's where my vote's going. Otherwise, Republican. You're right, though. :)

Basilisa Marie

[quote name='emmaberry' timestamp='1346790105' post='2478380']
If you vote for a third party, you are giving a vote to the President running for a second term, IMO.
[/quote]

No, you're giving your vote to a third party.

I was so hoping to be able to post "in before someone reinforces the two party system by claiming third party is a wasted vote", but alas I was not.

I'll just be over here with the popcorn smilie. :popcorn:

dominicansoul

[quote name='BG45' timestamp='1346790615' post='2478388']
I was so hoping to be able to post "in before someone reinforces the two party system by claiming third party is a wasted vote", but alas I was not.

I'll just be over here with the popcorn smilie. :popcorn:
[/quote]

to be fair, she's not saying its a "wasted" vote, I don't see those words at all in her post... she's just sharing her opinion that a third-party vote will benefit obama in this next election ...

dominicansoul

that's debatable, but i'm sure it can be proven (but we'll have to wait until after the election to see those statistics ...)

If you vote for a third party, you are giving a vote to the President running for a second term, IMO.
[/quote]

and that's the mentality that hinders the 3rd parties' chance of winning.

missionseeker

[/quote]

I think it's interesting that so many Catholics can say "abortion in cases of rape or incest is never ok" or "the end doesn't justify the means"

Until the political party with which theyd like to attach themselves refuses to budge on such things. In that case it's "well it's lesser of two evils" or "I don't want to waste my vote". The lesser of two evils is still EVIL. Any number of the political decisions that Romney has made Are neither morally or politically agreeable. His plan for MA's healthcare is the model on which obama's was built. And you really think he's going to repeal it? Paul Ryan voted for the bailouts and yet claims to be pro small government.

Wasting a vote is voting for a candidate you neither like not trust and whose policies are neither politically or ethically acceptable. Keep voting for the major parties and nothing will ever change.

Edited by missionseeker

[quote name='missionseeker' timestamp='1346791999' post='2478403']

Keep voting and nothing will ever change.
[/quote]
Ftfy.
Just my opinion.

"oh but a third party could never gain power!!!"

I invite such naysayers to look at almost any other country than your own.

Even canada, which for the longest time has had two main federal parties(Liberals and Conservatives) has in the last couple years seen the Liberals fall out of any serious power(after winning most elections for decades and running canada), and the NDP party becoming stronger and stronger, poised to potentially get control of the country next election. previously the NDP was a token 3rd party, with few votes.

The conservatives have also merged and changed their party significantly over the recent years.

Edited by Jesus_lol

missionseeker

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1346792207' post='2478404']

Ftfy.
Just my opinion.
[/quote]

But you're Canadian so it doesn't even matter.

Edited by missionseeker

[quote name='missionseeker' timestamp='1346792625' post='2478407']

But you're Canadian so it doesn't even matter.
[/quote]
Moral principles are identical. :)