An Old School Catholic Message Board

Catholic Does Not Equal Gop

TheUbiquitous

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1346854962' post='2478726']
So who is this third party candidate everyone is talking about?
[/quote]

OBAMA!!!

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1346854962' post='2478726']
So who is this third party candidate everyone is talking about?
[/quote][img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/05/Vermin_Supreme_2012.jpg/220px-Vermin_Supreme_2012.jpg[/img]

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1346855959' post='2478735']
[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/05/Vermin_Supreme_2012.jpg/220px-Vermin_Supreme_2012.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

What does J_lol have to do with this?

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1346855959' post='2478735']
[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/05/Vermin_Supreme_2012.jpg/220px-Vermin_Supreme_2012.jpg[/img]
[/quote]
Now that is change I can believe in.

[quote name='missionseeker' timestamp='1346853795' post='2478721']
With bush there was reason to believe that he might actually support the legislation that he said would. With Romney and Ryan, there is absolutely none.
[/quote]Probably a very pessimistic stretch of logic.

However, what is your opinion on the likely hood that Obama would nominate, promote and support the appointment of a Supreme Court Judge that is fully supportive of protecting current abortion rights from any restrictions? In your opinion, is the likelyhood that Obama would support a pro-abortion SC Judge equally balance with the possibility the Romney would nominate, promote, and support a Judge with the same philosophical beliefs?

[quote name='missionseeker' timestamp='1346853795' post='2478721']
With bush there was reason to believe that he might actually support the legislation that he said would. With Romney and Ryan, there is absolutely none.
[/quote]

Even if Romney and Ryan do a flip and switch once they take Office, you cannot say that Romney will try to put an amendment in the Constitution that says abortion is a right.

To say that Romney will end as many human lives as Obama has is not realistic, as is saying that Romney will take the same steps toward spreading/expanding abortion as Obama. If Romney does try to give out a healthcare plan with contraceptives, we'll elect someone else at the end of his term. We, as Catholics, have to try though. We cannot let our pessimistic attitudes keep us from voting for something that might (key word MIGHT) enable us to live with a clean conscience.

Let's not forget that Obama voted that abortion-surviving babies should be killed anyway. Romney at his deceptive worst still looks like a kitten in light of the monstrous damage Obama has done (and plans to do) concerning abortion.

Of course, this doesn't address economics, but the Catholic vote is based on the non-negotiables: abortion, contraception, and euthanasia. War, the death penalty, and economics are negotiable in varying situations, according the Church.

I can't believe I am explaining these basic tenets of the Catholic moral vote on a Catholic forum.

PadrePioOfPietrelcino

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1346803263' post='2478467']
Just a hypothetical here. What do you guys think it would imply if every single Catholic refused to vote in the next election? Would the government be legitimate? Or what if half the population of the US refused to vote? Three quarters?
What would it mean for the legitimacy of the government if such a significant portion of people refused to participate in the 'democratic process'?

Just wondering about opinions here.
[/quote]

In 2010 only 37.8% of the population voted, in 2008 it was 56.8%...In the USA silence is consent, NOT voting is not an option to create change in a positive direction. In fact if those who oppose immoral agendas do not vote, then the appearance of a Landslide and voter mandate for radical agenda become even stronger making the moral and good road more difficult to find and travel.

missionseeker

[quote name='emmaberry' timestamp='1346871302' post='2478836']

I can't believe I am explaining these basic tenets of the Catholic moral vote on a Catholic forum.
[/quote]

Since I've studied theology at a very Catholic university, I really don't need that explained to me.

Since I've studied politics, I really don't need that explained to me either.

Since I am member of this Republic, I know what my civic rights/duties/etc. are.
Since I am a member of the Catholic Church, I know what my moral obligations are.

I refuse to think that the only moral choice is to vote for someone who has past political ties with Planned Parenthood, who policies are eerily similar to Obama's and who most people describe as "the lesser of two evils"

Evil is evil is evil is evil.

The ends do not justify the means.

[color=#222222][font=Helvetica Neue', Arial, Verdana, sans-serif][size=4][background=rgb(255, 255, 255)][quote name='missionseeker' timestamp='1346874336' post='2478884']
Since I've studied theology at a very Catholic university, I really don't need that explained to me.

Since I've studied politics, I really don't need that explained to me either.

Since I am member of this Republic, I know what my civic rights/duties/etc. are.
Since I am a member of the Catholic Church, I know what my moral obligations are.

I refuse to think that the only moral choice is to vote for someone who has past political ties with Planned Parenthood, who policies are eerily similar to Obama's and who most people describe as "the lesser of two evils"
[/quote][/background][/size][/font][/color]

I got the impression you were looking down your nose at Catholics who will vote for Romney, and was defending that valid choice for Catholics. By all means, vote for your third party if you feel so convicted-but you don't seem to view this as a personal conviction, more as a 'I'm doing this because it is the only right/moral thing to do,' and that is not true according to the Church.

I never said it was the moral choice to vote for Romney- I was defending the people who aren't willing to vote for a third party, ie people who want their vote to have a direct impact on who the next President will be. Don't jump on the 'direct impact' phrase-third party votes have an impact, but the Bishop I quoted would agree with me that it is an indirect impact.

I majored in politics/theology also, though I'm not finishing my degree so it doesn't hold much water.

Edited by emmaberry

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1346803263' post='2478467']
Just a hypothetical here. What do you guys think it would imply if every single Catholic refused to vote in the next election? Would the government be legitimate? Or what if half the population of the US refused to vote? Three quarters?
What would it mean for the legitimacy of the government if such a significant portion of people refused to participate in the 'democratic process'?

Just wondering about opinions here.
[/quote]Wouldn't every Catholic be in trouble then?

2240 Submission to authority and co-responsibility for the common good [b]make it morally obligatory to pay taxes, to exercise the right to vote, and to defend one's country[/b]:

[quote name='Anomaly' timestamp='1346877936' post='2478936']
Wouldn't every Catholic be in trouble then?

2240 Submission to authority and co-responsibility for the common good [b]make it morally obligatory to pay taxes, to exercise the right to vote, and to defend one's country[/b]:
[/quote]
Our government is not dedicated to the common good. It is a modern fascist state.

[quote name='emmaberry' timestamp='1346871302' post='2478836']
Even if Romney and Ryan do a flip and switch once they take Office, you cannot say that Romney will try to put an amendment in the Constitution that says abortion is a right.

To say that Romney will end as many human lives as Obama has is not realistic, as is saying that Romney will take the same steps toward spreading/expanding abortion as Obama. If Romney does try to give out a healthcare plan with contraceptives, we'll elect someone else at the end of his term. We, as Catholics, have to try though. We cannot let our pessimistic attitudes keep us from voting for something that might (key word MIGHT) enable us to live with a clean conscience.

Let's not forget that Obama voted that abortion-surviving babies should be killed anyway. Romney at his deceptive worst still looks like a kitten in light of the monstrous damage Obama has done (and plans to do) concerning abortion.

Of course, this doesn't address economics, but the Catholic vote is based on the non-negotiables: abortion, contraception, and euthanasia. War, the death penalty, and economics are negotiable in varying situations, according the Church.

[/quote]
I guess we need Federal laws for everything.