An Old School Catholic Message Board

Catholic Does Not Equal Gop

TheUbiquitous

I am trying to decide whether a better ticket would be Hasan-Socrates or Socrates-Hasan.

I am leaning towards Socrates-Hasan, because Soc would be running around all the time throwing down the executive hammer left right and center on conservative issues, and Hasan would be hanging out at the White House giving drunken press conferences and subtly mocking Soc behind his back.

It would kind of be like a comedy duo. Just with higher stakes.

In fact somebody should make a movie.

If anyone wants me, I will be in Starbucks working on my screenplay.

Edited by Nihil Obstat

[quote name='eagle_eye222001' timestamp='1346995094' post='2479712']
For a Revolution to succeed, you need about 30% support ...
[/quote]

Sounds like you need to get to work.

You have 2 months. MARCH!

eagle_eye222001

[quote name='emmaberry' timestamp='1347000824' post='2479731']
Sounds like you need to get to work.

You have 2 months. MARCH!
[/quote]

I am at work. But these people just are convinced to keep the status quo. They think change comes from that. They refuse to face the facts...and want to chase these long odds......that maybe the facts don't matter.....that maybe everything will just get better magically.

[quote name='eagle_eye222001' timestamp='1347001171' post='2479733']
I am at work.[/QUOTE]

That's interesting. I bring the people of the internet countless hours of joy and yet I have received no compensation for services rendered. I never even knew that people could be hired to post on phatmass.

[QUOTE]But these people just are convinced to keep the status quo. They think change comes from that. They refuse to face the facts...and want to chase these long odds......that maybe the facts don't matter.....that maybe everything will just get better magically.
[/quote]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKIu-JjfIXE&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKIu-JjfIXE&feature=related[/url]

There is virtue in refusing to recognize the legitimacy of the prevailing social order by refusing to participate in it. I really don't think that this tactic is effective in a country like America where normally only a little over half the country votes and yet most of the country considers the state morally legitimate. I respect the intentions of thoughtful people who choose not to participate in the political system but I think they are wrong and I think Chomsky nails why.

[quote name='missionseeker' timestamp='1346985365' post='2479644']
Do I really have to delve more deeply into the abortion/Obama thing?

I never said I was voting for Paul. I said I was not voting for Romney or Obama. Because their policies are not acceptable (and their records are worse). I don't know that much about Paul, tbh. Mostly since about January, I've been thinking whether or not "the lesser of two evils" is a way that I can vote. I have come to the conclusion recently that it, in fact, is not. I've not done enough research of Ron Paul to decide whether I will vote for him. But I will not vote for someone who, from all past records and current indications has no intention of promoting the basic things that this country's law is based upon.
[/quote]
The only way to vote for someone that represents all what you believe in, is to vote for yourself. We are always going to vote for someone that is the closet to what we believe in. This is nothing new. What do you do when there is no third, fourth, etc. party to write-in(e.g. mayor, gov, lt.gov, city councilmen, etc)?

I am no fan of Romney, and I think Obama is reprehensible. I wish there was another viable option to go against Obama AND win. Unfortunately, at the present time, the only person I believe has the ability to beat Obama is Romney. This is a battle with my conscience. I don't want to vote for Romney, at the same time I believe it is critical that Obama is not reelected. My conscience is leaning me towards the latter.

missionseeker

I live in Alabama. Generally don't have this problem in local elections. Perhaps if I lived in a swing state, it would be different. But I don't. So maybe there's that. Even then, I dont think I would. I participated in a lot government stuff in high school. Met a lot of politicians who realize that they don't have to be as accountable for their actions precisely because of the way the system works. That's not right. Trusting that ppl will reelect you just because they have no other choice is something that shouldn't happen. And the reason they do is because we continue to vote for people who run knowing that this is what we do. It's a messed up system and I'm not giving in to it anymore. I honestly think that if more people didn't then more good would come out of it than if we continue to vote for the least bad candidate.

Would that perhaps cause the reelection of Obama? I don't know. It's possible. But would 4years of intense badness be worse than decades of this pansyness that is embodied by the current nominees? Will anything change if candidates like Romney keep getting elected on the basis of being the lesser of two evils? Sometimes great change only comes after great ill. And it's sad that that is way to make people realize what has happened. I hope to God that doesn't happen. But I am not naive about the possibility of it happening. But I cannot reconcile a vote for Romney with my faith or my love of this country.

dominicansoul

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1347020575' post='2479785']
The only way to vote for someone that represents all what you believe in, is to vote for yourself. We are always going to vote for someone that is the closet to what we believe in. This is nothing new. What do you do when there is no third, fourth, etc. party to write-in(e.g. mayor, gov, lt.gov, city councilmen, etc)?

I am no fan of Romney, and I think Obama is reprehensible. I wish there was another viable option to go against Obama AND win. Unfortunately, at the present time, the only person I believe has the ability to beat Obama is Romney. This is a battle with my conscience. I don't want to vote for Romney, at the same time I believe it is critical that Obama is not reelected. My conscience is leaning me towards the latter.
[/quote]

I know plenty of devout catholics and Religious who feel the exact same way and will be voting for Romney ...

I have yet to find a third party candidate who shines with perfection ... I'm going with the only guy who can get obama out of the white house ...

LittleWaySoul

[quote name='missionseeker' timestamp='1346808453' post='2478523']
I cannot in good conscience vote for either of these candidates.
[/quote]
Just out of curiosity, not meant to spark a debate, but what do you oppose in Romney's belief system? I want to be a truly informed voter as much as possible in the coming election.

[quote name='emmaberry' timestamp='1346790105' post='2478380']
If you vote for a third party, you are giving a vote to the President running for a second term, IMO.
[/quote]
And this is what the Establishment counted on.

[quote name='missionseeker' timestamp='1346899185' post='2479233']
....We're simply pointing out that Romney is not the ONLY choice for Catholics. Perhaps, he's not even the best. Especially given the way our system works.
[/quote]I think it is being pointed out that at this stage of the Presidential Election, there are only two choices.

The time and place to support other options such as third parties or persons representing desired ideals is Local and State elections and political operations. That is when alternative voices are most viable and ideological foundations are established.

Someone posted the moral quandary of piling a switch to choose between killing one or five people. Ignoring the fact that the choices now are between two Known outcomes, the bigger question was what were people doing while the persons were being rounded up and wired to the switch? Instead of lamenting the choice you have now, why didn't you do something to prevent the limited choice late in the game?

In the long run, the odds of a third party win are small. The odds of our nation continuing to survive or ever thriving again, under our current two-party system, might as well be zero. So strategically, I think voting for a third party is the best option. I'd vote for Ron Paul

For selfish reasons, I'll still hope for a Mitt Romney win over Barack Obama. I think if Obama stays in office, the economy will not budge; we will fail under the failed policies of the last twelve years. I'm not sure that Mittens will change any of that, but he might. It won't change my vote because the economy is still not even close to the biggest issue, regardless of how much it affects me personally. Just because I am

a) Already born, and
b) Under employed

doesn't mean that the unborn all take a back seat now.

tldr: I'm voting for Ron Paul, and rooting for Mitt from the sidelines.