An Old School Catholic Message Board

Catholic Does Not Equal Gop

TheUbiquitous

[quote name='eagle_eye222001' timestamp='1347066073' post='2480099']
If you have actually been reading this thread, and following my complaints, you know very well that my decision and arguments extend beyond certain people simply being part of the "system."

To portray my arguments and reasons as you did is rather childish.
[/quote]
I replied to this,

[quote]Are you going to keep supporting the system and ensure no change happens?[/quote]
not to this thread as a whole. It is erroneous to apply a single post to be a reply to every post on the thread.

eagle_eye222001

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1347105906' post='2480224']
I replied to this,

not to this thread as a whole. It is erroneous to apply a single post to be a reply to every post on the thread.
[/quote]

Not sure what you are getting at.

[quote name='missionseeker' timestamp='1347027039' post='2479805']
I live in Alabama. Generally don't have this problem in local elections. Perhaps if I lived in a swing state, it would be different. But I don't. So maybe there's that. Even then, I dont think I would. I participated in a lot government stuff in high school. Met a lot of politicians who realize that they don't have to be as accountable for their actions precisely because of the way the system works. That's not right. Trusting that ppl will reelect you just because they have no other choice is something that shouldn't happen. And the reason they do is because we continue to vote for people who run knowing that this is what we do. It's a messed up system and I'm not giving in to it anymore. I honestly think that if more people didn't then more good would come out of it than if we continue to vote for the least bad candidate.

Would that perhaps cause the reelection of Obama? I don't know. It's possible. But would 4years of intense badness be worse than decades of this pansyness that is embodied by the current nominees? Will anything change if candidates like Romney keep getting elected on the basis of being the lesser of two evils? Sometimes great change only comes after great ill. And it's sad that that is way to make people realize what has happened. I hope to God that doesn't happen. But I am not naive about the possibility of it happening. But I cannot reconcile a vote for Romney with my faith or my love of this country.
[/quote]

Gotta say I read through this thread and probably ran out of props giving them to Missionseeker. I've held the same opinion for years. I believe in voting. But I've always voted for a candidate that was pro-life if there was one running. And to be clear, Bush was not pro-life, Mccain was not pro-life, etc. I've never voted for a winning candidate yet because I've always had to vote third party.

I don't have a problem with a Catholic voting for a less pro-choice candidate like Romney. I get the argument for voting for a lesser evil. But for me personally, my conscience dictates that I have to vote pro-life.

[quote name='eagle_eye222001' timestamp='1347130631' post='2480330']
Not sure what you are getting at.
[/quote]
When one replies to post, he is not necessarily replying to all that person stated in the tread.

PhuturePriest

To me, a pro-life president implies the president will actually try to make abortion [i]illegal[/i], not just talk about how he personally does not believe in it. Doing something about it doesn't just entail not funding Planned Parenthood, it entails making it illegal to do period. None of this "Except of course in cases of rape and incest" jargon, which is an ideal that many Republican candidates have embraced. Michael Voris has actually been making a series of videos about how voting for the lesser of two evils is not sufficient and that both parties have embraced ideals which are incompatible with the faith, so it intrigues me that many of you are sounding a lot like Voris right now. :hehe:

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1347150597' post='2480396']
To me, a pro-life president implies the president will actually try to make abortion [i]illegal[/i], not just talk about how he personally does not believe in it. Doing something about it doesn't just entail not funding Planned Parenthood, it entails making it illegal to do period. None of this "Except of course in cases of rape and incest" jargon, which is an ideal that many Republican candidates have embraced. Michael Voris has actually been making a series of videos about how voting for the lesser of two evils is not sufficient and that both parties have embraced ideals which are incompatible with the faith, so it intrigues me that many of you are sounding a lot like Voris right now. :hehe:
[/quote]

I have better hair

dominicansoul

[quote name='eagle_eye222001' timestamp='1347050301' post='2479977']

Ron Paul.....ahem......

[/quote]

Isn't ron paul pro-choice state by state? I don't see how he's any different from other "pro-life" candidates ...

PhuturePriest

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1347158487' post='2480425']
Isn't ron paul pro-choice state by state? I don't see how he's any different from other "pro-life" candidates ...
[/quote]

That's one of the flaws of libertarianism, in my opinion. They sometimes give the States power to do something that in fact nobody can do, either State or Government. However, I do not believe he holds this belief. I'm almost certain this is one of the things he believes nobody has the power to legalize, since the right to life is in the Constitution.

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1347162624' post='2480454']
That's one of the flaws of libertarianism, in my opinion. They sometimes give the States power to do something that in fact nobody can do, either State or Government. However, I do not believe he holds this belief. I'm almost certain this is one of the things he believes nobody has the power to legalize, since the right to life is in the Constitution.
[/quote]

You're talking about mainstream American libertarianism. "States' rights" mean nothing to non-Americans.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1347162934' post='2480460']
You're talking about mainstream American libertarianism. "States' rights" mean nothing to non-Americans.
[/quote]

States' Rights, Provinces' Rights, it's all the same, just States doesn't sound as lame or Canadian.

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1347163031' post='2480461']
States' Rights, Provinces' Rights, it's all the same, just States doesn't sound as lame or Canadian.
[/quote]

No...... it's not really the same.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1347163291' post='2480464']
No...... it's not really the same.
[/quote]

Overruled.

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1347163410' post='2480466']
Overruled.
[/quote]

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitution_of_Canada"]Constitution of Canada[/url]

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_federalism"]Canadian Federalism[/url]