An Old School Catholic Message Board

Catholic Does Not Equal Gop

TheUbiquitous

eagle_eye222001

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1347158487' post='2480425']
Isn't ron paul pro-choice state by state? I don't see how he's any different from other "pro-life" candidates ...
[/quote]

He is pro-life in that he would back a person hood amendment. However, he would put it to the states, and when enough states end legal abortion, then he would push for a person-hood amendment.

He is different from other pro-life candidates in that his approach would end and limit legal abortion in the United States much quicker than trying to end legal abortion all at once at the federal level.

Is it better to wait 100+ years to end abortion at one time, or is it better to methodically end it state by state?

This method is also better since abortion is legal in every state....so we have nothing to lose by trying this as it is apparent the federal level has done diddly squat on ending or limiting abortion. [b] All the decent abortion restrictions are done at the state level right now anyway![/b]

missionseeker

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1347162934' post='2480460']

You're talking about mainstream American libertarianism.
[/quote]

Well since this is a thread about American politics, good work Sherlock.

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1347162624' post='2480454']
That's one of the flaws of libertarianism, in my opinion. They sometimes give the States power to do something that in fact nobody can do, either State or Government. However, I do not believe he holds this belief. I'm almost certain this is one of the things he believes nobody has the power to legalize, since the right to life is in the Constitution.
[/quote]
Every other murder law is on the state level.

In the case of abortion, I believe he supports an amendment to clarify the right to life, as did more than one LP presidential candidate. Barring that, putting the decision into a central power has proven problematic.

dominicansoul

[quote name='eagle_eye222001' timestamp='1347211812' post='2480618']
He is pro-life in that he would back a person hood amendment. However, he would put it to the states, and when enough states end legal abortion, then he would push for a person-hood amendment.

He is different from other pro-life candidates in that his approach would end and limit legal abortion in the United States much quicker than trying to end legal abortion all at once at the federal level.

Is it better to wait 100+ years to end abortion at one time, or is it better to methodically end it state by state?

This method is also better since abortion is legal in every state....so we have nothing to lose by trying this as it is apparent the federal level has done diddly squat on ending or limiting abortion. [b] All the decent abortion restrictions are done at the state level right now anyway![/b]
[/quote]

this doesn't make him 100 percent pro-life though. He's giving the choice to the states? What if all 50 states choose to keep abortion legal? than what?

i am not convinced that third party candidates are any better/different ...

eagle_eye222001

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1347217482' post='2480658']
this doesn't make him 100 percent pro-life though. He's giving the choice to the states? What if all 50 states choose to keep abortion legal? than what?

i am not convinced that third party candidates are any better/different ...
[/quote]

If all 50 states kept abortion legal, then we are no better off than we are today. Also if we cannot end abortion at the federal level, we might be able to end abortion at the state level. If we are unable to end abortion at the state level.......then how the heck do you think we can do it at the federal level???? You think the support just magically appears?

Since federal level gets nothing done......why are you afraid of trying the state method? I have already pointed out how this will lead to a nation-wide ban on abortion!

Bottom line, your argument calls for not voting at all. I have pointed out that the BEST abortion restrictions come from the states. What has the federal government done to effectively limit abortion? NOTHING! Partial Birth Abortion Act was a joke. The bill the house passed a few months ago was a joke and would have done nothing. The pro-life movement ate up the bone thrown to them though.

I am convinced that 3rd party candidates are better (at least for presidential election 2012). Because I look at their voting record. And Ron Paul has ACTUALLY tried and introduced a bill that would ACTUALLY begin to end abortion! Here is a link I included previously in this thread but I will post again since it was not clicked on.

[url="http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/We_the_People_Act"]http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/We_the_People_Act[/url]

I highly recommend the following 4 minute video. Great insight! It also shows Rick Santorum attacking Ron Paul over his "50% pro life voting record" and Ron Paul's response which shows that the 50% statistic means nothing.

Note Ron Paul's last statement in the video.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cypg0Qvh__8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cypg0Qvh__8[/url]

Right now 50 states allow abortion. Ron Paul's method has nothing to lose and everything to gain. Why are you afraid of candidates that actually stand up for what they believe in?

dominicansoul

I highly doubt elections will end abortion on the federal or state level. There must be a conversion of hearts in order for abortion to become illegal. Politicians don't do this.

My conscience tells me to get obama out. He's the one who touts his pro-"choice" record and ensures millions go to planned parenthood. Ron Paul, unfortunately, won't be the one to beat him ...

[quote name='missionseeker' timestamp='1347214398' post='2480637']
Well since this is a thread about American politics, good work Sherlock.
[/quote]

Are we not talking about precisely how the American system is hopelessly broken? Why bother sticking to idiosyncratic American paradigms when those paradigms have clearly failed?
Besides that, I am a little bit bothered by the hostility. I have been nothing but polite to you.

Edited by Nihil Obstat

eagle_eye222001

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1347220563' post='2480692']
I highly doubt elections will end abortion on the federal or state level. There must be a conversion of hearts in order for abortion to become illegal. Politicians don't do this. [/quote]

True. I'm still convinced of state's deciding issues like abortion and marriage.....however I do heartily agree that in the end politics tends to already reflect what is going within people. The real way to end abortion does begin with person-to-person conversions....and not just mandating a law on people.

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1347220966' post='2480698']
Eagle actually has convinced me to vote for Ron Paul. (I'm from Texas, and Romney has already won Texas.)
[/quote]

:)

I was a bit late to the Ron Paul bandwagon as well as I've only really found about him in the past six months....and decided to write-in in the past few weeks....but not late enough to vote for him at least once :crusader2:.

And he is retiring after this election. However, after fighting for his ideas for 30 years, he is leaving behind a legacy and a small army of young adults ready to continue the fight for freedom and liberty. And I'm thrilled to be answering the call of duty as he justly ends his Tour of Liberty against ultra-sized-government. :crusader2:

eagle_eye222001

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1347222017' post='2480708']
Are we not talking about precisely how the American system is hopelessly broken?
[/quote]

What Revolutions are for!

[quote name='eagle_eye222001' timestamp='1347222565' post='2480718']
And he is retiring after this election. However, after fighting for his ideas for 30 years, he is leaving behind a legacy and a small army of young adults ready to continue the fight for freedom and liberty. And I'm thrilled to be answering the call of duty as he justly ends his Tour of Liberty against ultra-sized-government. :crusader2:
[/quote]

I hope that somebody picks up his intellectual torch. I think Rand Paul is pretty cool, but he's not his father. If I'm not mistaken he's significantly more hawkish than Ron is.

[quote name='eagle_eye222001' timestamp='1347222629' post='2480719']
What Revolutions are for!
[/quote]

[img]http://www.libertarianprogressive.com/images/ron-paul-revolution.jpg[/img]

;)