An Old School Catholic Message Board

Emmaberry's Pcc Countdown

emmaberry101

Hey Emma! One more thought for now before I have very limited internet access for a while :/ .. I'm out of town.

These people, [url="http://www.stfrancispilgrimages.com"]http://www.stfrancispilgrimages.com[/url] actually it's just a little family .. they are experts on Assisi and I've talked with this man Bret on the phone a couple times, great person! :) They help people organize individual pilgrimages, [url="http://www.stfrancispilgrimages.com/uploads/3/0/5/6/3056286/individual.pdf"]http://www.stfrancis.../individual.pdf[/url] They just really know a lot about all the details, as they lived there in Assisi for a while, and are so in love with the place! They are Third Order Franciscans. You might consider emailing or calling Bret to ask how much it might cost for him to help organize it for you guys, in case you need the extra help. They also have group pilgrimages and it could help just to read their itineraries to see some of the different places they visit. There are other places significant to the life of St. Francis that Bret knows well about too, like La Verna, Gubbio (spelling? where St. Francis set up the nativity) some other places .. hermitages close to Assisi, etc. So yeah, you might want to just ask him.

Of course, I would not try to do too much (sorry if I'm causing that!! I get excited over all of these little shrines & everything :smile4:) as just staying in Assisi and taking it in all in itself would be amazing!!! and to just spend time with family and pray.. so anyway, you can balance it :like: But yeah, Bret could help you (if you wished, whichever, or again just look at his trips, etc) with just Assisi alone very well.. the best places to stay (in old town which is higher up, or St. Mary of the Angels they call it .. which is the where/& the name of the Basilica where the Portiuncula is, but also the name of this newer section of Assisi, not as pretty as the old town though) Hope that all made sense! typing this fast!

Ttyl for now! God bless!

p.s. the poems are sooooo beautiful!!!!!!!!! :love: :heart: :love: keep 'em coming!! (of course no pressure!!)

one more p.s. I'm still getting that booklet out to you, though it may be in a while .. since I'm out of town now, shucks! meant to before I left! it's at home..... thanks for your patience!

Edited by Chiquitunga

I am going to edit this post to make sense of the (html coded) poem, the amesome travel advice, and the kind comments. I just want to push 'post' while it is still 'today' for me so I don't break my poem-a-day promise! Silly, I know.

[center]Invitatory for a Wedding Anniversary[/center]

[center][color=#232323][i][size=4]“We recount your marvelous deeds.” Psalm 75[/size][/i][/color][/center]

[center][color=#232323]Come, let us marvel at God confecting dawn[/color][/center]
[center][color=#232323]Out of a pastelled fluff of fancy, then[/color][/center]
[center][color=#232323]Unfolding night from velvet bolt of mystery, arranging[/color][/center]
[center][color=#232323]Moons halved, then quartered, then plumped full[/color][/center]
[center][color=#232323]To serve our recreation.[/color][/center]

[center][color=#232323]But marvel more that he has brided me.[/color][/center]

[center][color=#232323]Here is tall marvel: twirled by hand Divine[/color][/center]
[center][color=#232323]All birds' propellers dancing circled grace[/color][/center]
[center][color=#232323]Down boulevard space and all trees waving[/color][/center]
[center][color=#232323]For such performance, fans of jubilation.[/color][/center]
[center][color=#232323]Sun stoked and skies spread and clouds lit[/color][/center]
[center][color=#232323]With virgin light or pregnant with rain[/color][/center]
[center][color=#232323]Are marvels that demand high recounting.[/color][/center]

[center][color=#232323]Come, let us kneel before the Lord devising[/color][/center]
[center][color=#232323]Day from the night and marshalling the stars,[/color][/center]
[center][color=#232323]Flattering peaches pink, and then gone off surprising[/color][/center]
[center][color=#232323]Carrots to gold with glance Divine [/color][/center]
[center][color=#232323]And to us exaltation.[/color][/center]

[center][color=#232323]All the long eons God has lightly laid[/color][/center]
[center][color=#232323]Across our history call[/color][/center]
[center][color=#232323]Marvel! and[/color][/center]
[center][color=#232323]We gladly tell it, call for cosmic chorus to proclaim it[/color][/center]
[center][color=#232323]God great, God mighty, God beyond[/color][/center]
[center][color=#232323]Our power small to marvel.[/color][/center]

[center][color=#232323]But marvel more that He has brided me.[/color][/center]

Edit: :lies: Oops, I was too late! Darn my inability to touch type..

Speaking of typing, the Roswell Poor Clares still use typewriters! I love it-so vintage! :elvis:

Edited by emmaberry101

[color=#222222][font=Helvetica Neue', Arial, Verdana, sans-serif][size=4][background=rgb(255, 255, 255)][quote name='Chiquitunga' timestamp='1352183704' post='2505052'] Pace e Bene, Emma!! Well, although I do know a little Italian and some things about their culture, I have actually never been there!!! I wish!!!! But I do have fun looking up the places of my favorite saints on Google maps, and checking them out via street view, etc. It's an inexpensive way to travel! But yeah, if you have limited time, well those three places not far from Assisi (Montefalco for the "other" St. Clare, Foligno & Citta di Castello) would be super cool to see!! And personally for me the most important is St. Veronica Giuliani's monastery!!! (although Blessed Margaret of Castello is there as well and that would be wonderful too) [url="http://www.santaveronicagiuliani.it/"]http://www.santaveronicagiuliani.it[/url] [url="http://www.innertravelbooks.com/pages/excerptsItaly5.html#StVeronicaG"]http://www.innertrav...tml#StVeronicaG[/url] (make sure you scroll down to details about visiting there .. Montefalco & Foligno are there too) If you go, can you bring back that "Nun on Fire" book for me? I know they also used to have a little English one "The Purgatory of Love" but maybe this English "Nun on Fire" book replaced that .. Something else I've heard that's a challenge you have to work around is that a lot of these little shrines have limited hours when they are open.. and they are always closed for Siesta! (whereas in Rome they tend to stay open all day) So you have to plan wisely around that. I know of some people who went to Montefalco but didn't get to go inside St. Clare's shrine and monastery as it was closed and wasn't going to be open for a long while .. so just a heads up there Edit: something else I heard is that a lot of these super old churches all of a sudden might be closed due to needed repairs without warning .. so something else to keep in mind/ask about if possible. Do you know if you could travel as far as Bologna? That's pretty far .. St. Catherine of Bologna's incorrupt body is there .. In Florence is St. MM de Pazzi & St. Teresa Margaret! p.s. that's so amazing you found that picture of Mother Angela!!!!! ahhh!!!!! Yes, their monastery here in Palos Park is just like that with the doors that open half way for Holy Communion and professions. [/quote]

[color=#222222][font=Helvetica Neue', Arial, Verdana, sans-serif][size=4][background=rgb(255, 255, 255)][quote name='Chiquitunga' timestamp='1352338913' post='2506258'] Hey Emma! One more thought for now before I have very limited internet access for a while :/ .. I'm out of town. These people, [url="http://www.stfrancispilgrimages.com"]http://www.stfrancispilgrimages.com[/url] actually it's just a little family .. they are experts on Assisi and I've talked with this man Bret on the phone a couple times, great person! They help people organize individual pilgrimages, [url="http://www.stfrancispilgrimages.com/uploads/3/0/5/6/3056286/individual.pdf"]http://www.stfrancis.../individual.pdf[/url] They just really know a lot about all the details, as they lived there in Assisi for a while, and are so in love with the place! They are Third Order Franciscans. You might consider emailing or calling Bret to ask how much it might cost for him to help organize it for you guys, in case you need the extra help. They also have group pilgrimages and it could help just to read their itineraries to see some of the different places they visit. There are other places significant to the life of St. Francis that Bret knows well about too, like La Verna, Gubbio (spelling? where St. Francis set up the nativity) some other places .. hermitages close to Assisi, etc. So yeah, you might want to just ask him. Of course, I would not try to do too much (sorry if I'm causing that!! I get excited over all of these little shrines & everything ) as just staying in Assisi and taking it in all in itself would be amazing!!! and to just spend time with family and pray.. so anyway, you can balance it But yeah, Bret could help you (if you wished, whichever, or again just look at his trips, etc) with just Assisi alone very well.. the best places to stay (in old town which is higher up, or St. Mary of the Angels they call it .. which is the where/& the name of the Basilica where the Portiuncula is, but also the name of this newer section of Assisi, not as pretty as the old town though) Hope that all made sense! typing this fast! Ttyl for now! God bless! p.s. the poems are sooooo beautiful!!!!!!!!! keep 'em coming!! (of course no pressure!!) one more p.s. I'm still getting that booklet out to you, though it may be in a while .. since I'm out of town now, shucks! meant to before I left! it's at home..... thanks for your patience! [/quote]

Yes, St Veronica Guiliani will be high up on the priorities list for the trip! The Roswell nuns love her-well, Sister Scristan and Sister Portress seemed to really enjoy telling me about her, that is. Yes, of course I will get the books for you, if they are available there (and assuming our gang makes it to Italy in one piece!) St Catherine's incorrupt body is also very high on the list. My parents and I love to see the incorruptibles when we travel... Not to be negative towards Protestants (we were for most of our lives!), but the incorrupt Saints always give us pause..as in "Why didn't anyone tell us there were INCORRUPT CATHOLIC SAINTS when we were Protestants?" I guess these comments go in the same bag with our routine comments concerning the Blessed Virgin's Miracle of the Sun, Eucharistic Miracles, the Miraculous gifts given to various Saints (this would include the Stigmata), and the like. It is just mind boggling to us, the amount of information readily available out there that just was not getting into our hands, whether it was because our pastors told us not to believe any of that 'Catholic folklore' or whether it was because we were just prejudiced ourselves. It really brings us full circle to behold these Catholic Miracles as a family... On that thought, I have really enjoyed, as a Catholic convert, realizing that the Church is not anxious in any way to approve more of these miracles... That, if anything, they are overly cautious! It lends more of a sense of authenticity to these beloved parts of our Catholic faith. As a Protestant, it always seemed that the Church was just desperate to churn out more of these miraculous occurrences. As Scott Hahn would say, "Rome sweet home!"

Also, thank you so much on the contact info for Bret in Assisi! I will pass that right along to my dad. He is so cute planning this trip, even though I know about it I think he is trying to maintain an additional element of 'surprise.' He stops talking about it when I walk in the room. And on the note of my parents' razzle dazzleness (typed that one out myself!), see below.

No worries on the booklet, I can't imagine how busy you are with being out of town. I love road trips and general travelling, but the stress is not something I am fond of!

What a genius way of seeing where your favorite Saints lived! I can't believe I had not done that. I feel incredibly dumb at the moment!

[quote name='Totally Franciscan' timestamp='1352186601' post='2505063'] What a wonderful surprise your parents are taking you to Assisi! I have been there twice, and it is my favorite place in the world. I know you will love it. As a future Poor Clare, the richness of the city will envelop you in the spirit of Francis and Clare. Please take a very small English-Italian dictionary, as it will be invaluable. Since the city is very much a tourist city, a lot of people will understand your English, but just be on the safe side and take the dictionary. You absolutely must go to see St. Clare in the lower level of her monastery. A Poor Clare will be sitting inside with St. Clare, and when you arrive you tell her what language you speak, and she will give a little history about St. Clare. When I was there, she passed out holy cards of Holy Mother Clare. Unfortunately, they have now covered her face with a mask, probably due to deterioration. When I was there, her face was showing. Sister explained that her face was black due to exposure to air, despite the fact that she is in a sealed glass casket. I seem to recall that there is some work being done on the Basilica of St. Francis. It would be such a same for you to miss being at the tomb of St. Francis. Seems to me you could google these things for the latest information. I hope I am wrong about this. Of course, you have to go to the Portiuncula; I apologize as I can't remember the name of the church where it is located, but that too can be googled. Oh, and please do not miss San Damiano, the first monastery of the Poor Clares; it is so beautiful and absolutely charming. I hope this helps, and if I think of anything else, I will send it along. What a wonderful adventure! [/quote]

Thank you for the wonderful information on Assisi, Totally Franciscan!! Particularly for the details on seeing Saint Clare-I had no idea one of her nuns would be sitting with her! How neat. I hope you are wrong about the Basilica as well! It sounds like a novena to Saint Francis is in order. :P And YES to San Damiano. Your post made me so excited to go! It sounds like you had a wonderful time there-what a joy to be 'Totally Franciscan' and to have been to Assisi. We are truly blessed.

[quote name='Chiara Francesco' timestamp='1352275726' post='2505621'] This is a poem I love by a Sr. Miriam Judith, a deceased nun of the PCCs in the Ty Mam Duw monastery in Wales. It is a beautiful poem of the Poor Clare Colettine: [i][size=3][b]"The wounded hands of Jesus, outstretched, to me entreat, who, running, fall before him to kiss his wounded feet. So, barefoot, as a beggar, may I thy bride, Lord, be. I lay my hand in thine, Lord, for I belong to thee."[/b][/size][/i] [i][size=3]- Sr. Miriam Judith of the Holy Trinity[/size][/i] [i][color=#000000][font=Times New Roman][size=3]PCC Ty Mam Duw, Wales[/size][/font][/color][/i] [/quote]
[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1352279627' post='2505626'][/background][/size][/font][/color][/background][/size][/font][/color]
[center][b][u][img]http://i860.photobucket.com/albums/ab166/nunsense/crucifix-1.jpg[/img][/u][/b][/center]
[center][b][u]Somebody Else[/u][/b] [i]Somebody Else had a heavier cross,[/i] [i]Than the one I bear today,[/i] [i]And the path were far too steep for me,[/i] [i]Had not Somebody led the way.[/i] [i]Somebody Else had a sadder heart[/i] [i]Than the weary one in my breast,[/i] [i]Somebody’s aching thorn crowned Head[/i] [i]Had nowhere to lie in rest.[/i] [i]Somebody Else’s tired Hands[/i] [i]And Somebody’s wounded Feet,[/i] [i]Were never too weary to minister[/i] [i]And somebody’s smile was sweet.[/i] [i]Somebody’s Head was bent[/i] [i]Not with the weight of years,[/i] [i]And the light in somebody’s beautiful Eyes[/i] [i]Was dimmed by many tears.[/i] [i]Somebody else’s love was spent[/i] [i]And tears were wept in vain,[/i] [i]Shall I then count my weeping lost[/i] [i]Or grudge a little pain?[/i] [i]Somebody Else was left alone[/i] [i]Beneath an olive tree,[/i] [i]And nobody cared for Somebody Else[/i] [i]More than they do for me.[/i] [i]But away past life’s dull gloaming[/i] [i]Across the crystal sea,[/i] [i]Somebody Else and I shall love[/i] [i]For all eternity.[/i] ©Carmel, Tallow[/center]
[/quote]

:love: LOVE these poems! Please, if you find a great poem (or just have a favorite muddling through your mind one day), don't hesitate to post it! (whether here or somewhere else on VS.) I love LOVE poetry, and am really glad that I am entering the cloister where poetry is 'the language of love' spoken in the inner courts of the soul. Not going to lie though, being a teenager who loves poetry can feel pretty isolating (for lack of a better word).

[quote name='Rosa immaculata' timestamp='1352312786' post='2505876'] Ave Maria! Waow, you are so lucky to go to Assisi!! :dance3: I am jealous, lol! What an amazing grace St Clare and St Francis are offering to you! I have been in Rome, but not in Assisi (yet!!!). Enjoy this marvellous trip with your parents (they seem to be marvellous !! I don't know if mine will do the same thing when I tell them I want to be a nun :wall: )... Prayers for you, the cloister is coming for you! :clap: [/quote]
I had never thought of it in the terms you stated, Rosa Immaculata-I love it! I hope St Clare and St Francis are offering it to me.. Hopefully it bodes well for perseverance in the Seraphic Order. Yes, my parents are marvellous! I love your vocabulary and word choice, by the way. Very effervescent. :like: They are as supportive as they can possibly be, and really just want me to be happy (and doing God's Will, of course.) Hopefully every parent wants this for their child, but sometimes, when the rubber meets the road, you start to wonder if it is the truth in many cases. With my parents, it undoubtedly is. I think parents of cloistered nuns (or just future cloistered postulants :P) are very special people.. Whether that 'special' becomes a good (Zelie and Louis Martin) or bad (parent reactions discerners have nightmares about) kind of 'special' is really up to the parents, I guess!!

[quote name='EmilyAnn' timestamp='1352308133' post='2505806'] That is so wonderful that you are going to Assisi. I have not been there, but I have been to Rome and it is absolutely amazing. I am sure it will be a wonderful experience to have with your family before your entrance! [/quote]
Yes, Rome is wonderful! I was only there for a couple weeks for a college course, but it felt like home, as I am sure every Catholic feels there! It will be good to be back. Did you visit Rome with your family??

[quote name='Orans' timestamp='1352336994' post='2506229'] Glad to be of help :P This thread brings me fond memories of my preparations for entrance into the cloister.... This is an incredible Grace and a step that I'm sure you will never regret -no matter what the future might hold. God bless you, Emma! [/quote]

Thank you Orans. Yes, in reply to some relatives whose hopes of me eventually leaving the cloister are made very obvious by their incessant questions of "..So what happens if you leave again?" I always say, "I will never be worse off for it." You are so right! VS is wonderful in that way.. I know that, if I DO leave, then there is a supportive group of people here who will neither judge me nor the Church because of it-this is a lot of consolation going in, as there are not many places or people you could turn to (at least not in my life) after leaving who would provide such support. VS is such a grace!

[quote name='emmaberry101' timestamp='1352358573' post='2506449']
Yes, Rome is wonderful! I was only there for a couple weeks for a college course, but it felt like home, as I am sure every Catholic feels there! It will be good to be back. Did you visit Rome with your family??[/quote]

Yes, me and my family went a few years ago. They are not Catholics but the were very patient about going into just about every church that we passed! Back then they were more tolerant of my faith and understood what a very significant place it was for me. I was very sick at the time so wasn't able to do as much as I wanted to, but I just loved it.

New post on the Barhamsville PCC [url="http://www.facebook.com/margaret.nocks"]Facebook page[/url]:

"On this post-elections day, St. Paul and our Lord Himself issued challenges to us in the readings at Holy Mass. We are told that we are supposed to be lights, shining like stars in the world. If we feel that the darkness is descending, then we must ask if we are shining with the brilliancy required to lead our country from the culture of death to the Gospel of life. Someone has said that the wr
ath of God is simply that He allows us to bear the consequences of our decisions. All of us will bear the consequences of the decisions made in the polling booths. And here is our Lord’s own challenge: Anyone who will not take up his own cross cannot be My disciple. Let us be determined to continue the good fight of faith. As scripture says: The battle is the Lord’s!
"

Also, this is old news (from June, but I just found out):
[indent=1][size=4]"[color=#333333]Pray for our aspirant Sarah Golden who is now fund raising for the Laboure society and hopes to enter our community of Poor Clares in December![/color]" [/size][/indent]
These Poor Clares are receiving so many vocations! Praise God! I am not sure whether Sarah has paid her debt off, but I will try to find out. It would be a wonderful Christmas present to the Lord to give to someone so they can follow their vocation. HopefulBride here on Phatmass is also raising funds, if someone is looking to support vocations to religious life!

Here is Sarah's Laboure video:

and her [url="http://aspirant.labouresociety.org/faf/donorReg/donorPledge.asp?ievent=1027693&lis=1&kntae1027693=D0938F1F3B20410C956990F8B7202419&supId=360721054"]Laboure Society page[/url].

Also, here is a good but older post from the Facebook page on The Wedding Garment of Love:

[indent=1]"[b]When a Poor Clare Sister wakes up in the morning, she prays a morning offering and then dresses while reciting what are called “dressing prayers”. Each garment has its own prayer. When she takes off her night habit she prays, “Strip me now of the old man” and as she puts on her daily habit she prays, “Clothe me with Your virtues, enrich me with Your graces and give me the wedding garment of Your love”. [/b] In today’s Gospel, Jesus tells a parable of a king giving a wedding feast for his son. A man is found in the banquet hall not wearing a wedding garment. When asked by the king why he is not properly dressed, he makes no reply and so is thrown out. The man made no reply because he had no excuse; the wedding garment was provided by the host at the door. Jesus calls us each day to the wedding feast, but we must be willing to put on “the wedding garment of His love”. All love requires a certain surrender of autonomy, a loss of our personal independence. Divine love is especially all-engaging. But we resist, fearful lest we sacrifice too much of ourselves. How foolish can we be! Sometimes we are like the first guests of the parable who could not be bothered with the feast because they were too interested in their own affairs. They did not care because they did not love. In the end, each will get what he or she chooses: self-centered loneliness or self-giving unity with Love Himself. Let us choose wisely."[/indent]

Also, Margaret Nocks (the name on the Facebook page) requested recent photos of their Monastery, and here are some pics that were posted by the Monastery's visitors:
[img]http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/c101.0.403.403/p403x403/150506_10151209877518394_1100503049_n.jpg[/img][img]http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/148818_10151209878733394_49577270_n.jpg[/img]
[img]http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/c0.0.403.403/p403x403/550470_10151209879413394_1138977936_n.jpg[/img]
[img]http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/c0.0.403.403/p403x403/229823_10151209882438394_612062586_n.jpg[/img]
[img]http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/c101.0.403.403/p403x403/384215_10151209892388394_652043906_n.jpg[/img]
[img]http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/c101.0.403.403/p403x403/578372_10151209904023394_1055437896_n.jpg[/img]
[img]http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/c101.0.403.403/p403x403/229874_10151209907268394_934323470_n.jpg[/img]
[img]http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/c101.0.403.403/p403x403/565051_10151209905238394_1877694211_n.jpg[/img]

Edited by emmaberry101

[center]Hermitage for a Mother Abbess

[i]"Mother, the Sisters are your prayer." Bishop Ambrose Pinger, OFM[/i]

A roof of birdsong,
Four stout walls of air
Windowing on daughters
Bearing weeds
In gay victorious armloads
Please build this for me.

It must be sound-proofed
From all threat to prayer,
Stern against whatever
Could impede
Yahweh's secret unfoldings.
So, build it right for me.

An anchorhold of daughters
Let it be
Where I can pray in secret
To my Father
Who deigned that bliss be habitate
And is Himself Community of Persons.

A roof of wonder
Over the walls of love
For daughters. There is Your place
For gathering
Me in victorious armload.
Lord, please build this for me.[/center]

Edited by emmaberry101

Well, the cat is out of the bag!

Just kidding..kinda. I found out my dad was pulling this whole, "Travel is so much more expensive in December.. Let's go in the latter half of January and push back your entrance."

The reason this is such a big (and slightly humorous) no-no on his part is that Mother was literally JUST telling me about the youngest Roswell Sister and how her family wanted to push back her entrance to take her to Assisi. I think Mother's exact words were, "Don't push back your entrance. You will find the spirit of St Francis in here more so than on a trip to Assisi." Or something like that.

Oh, travel-loving Dads and their grand schemes to keep their daughters out of the enclosure!

On that note, we will still be going, just in December with plenty of time to spare before entrance. :P

My dad has 1 day set aside to drive to Assisi and see everything there.. Is this sufficient? The trouble is that my parents and I have both been to Rome, but my brother has not, so on this short trip we are both trying to see the Franciscan sites and trying to acquaint my brother with the whole of Rome. A large task.

Thanks for your help! :)

[size=4]I only had internet on my phone for most of last night..so I guess that means two poems today!:[/size]

[size=4]Holy Thursday[/size]

[size=4]It was the dust storm that did it,[/size]
[size=4]Coated halls[/size]
[size=4]With fragiler-than-clay beds for imprinting[/size]
[size=4]Footprints for Eucharistic meditation.[/size]

[size=4]Sisterhood is written[/size]
[size=4]In the toes[/size]
[size=4]Lapping and overlapping in the dust.[/size]
[size=4]Bare feet going and bare feet returning.[/size]

[size=4]I gaze in tenderness upon the blurred[/size]
[size=4]Print of someone stopped to ponder, rubbing[/size]
[size=4]The silky dust into memorial.[/size]

[size=4]But then I stop to smile down[/size]
[size=4]At the firm print[/size]
[size=4]Of messenger on errand. “Work to do!”[/size]
[size=4]Is written in the dust. I shall remember.[/size]

[size=4]And when determined novice comes with mop[/size]
[size=4]Hungry for dust, to wipe away my musing,[/size]
[size=4]I shall forgive her, having Eucharistic[/size]
[size=4]Meditation dusted-fine on heart.[/size]

[size=4]Edit: Only 9 Saturdays left! "My soul is yearning, is yearning for the courts of the Lord."[/size]

Edited by emmaberry101

Second poem (late of course-and quite appropriate at this midnight hour):

[size=4]Midnight Office: Feast of the Holy Trinity[/size]

[size=4]Fingers against light switches, together, we tore[/size]
[size=4]Some little yellow holes out of the dark,[/size]
[size=4]Enough to read incredibilities[/size]
[size=4]Out of our neat black books.[/size]

[size=4]Somewhere a train*[/size]
[size=4]Bellowed its lonely protest at the night,[/size]
[size=4]And homeless winds cursed all our adamant walls.[/size]
[size=4]Sleep was not routed, only subdued, still scratching[/size]
[size=4]Its claims at eyelids, urging its right against[/size]
[size=4]Scaffold of spine put up on fantastic hour,[/size]
[size=4]When incense took the air into its arms[/size]
[size=4]And kissed it sweet, when clear command rang out:[/size]
[size=4]Come and adore, true One in Three[/size]
[size=4]And Three not falsed in One![/size]

[size=4]Crazily, moths swung into the yellow holes[/size]
[size=4]Punched in the night, but voices kept insisting:[/size]
[size=4]True God in Trinity One! Come, and adore Him.[/size]

[size=4]Not only where vigilant choirs sing: Holy, holy[/size]
[size=4]Holy forevermore, outside our cages[/size]
[size=4]Of dwindling days and space, of vanishing faces, Shall God be told His Name.[/size]

[size=4]The secret rings[/size]
[size=4]Here, against brick, on board, invests the night[/size]
[size=4]With wildest glory, unhinges the universe[/size]
[size=4]From time, as stunned from sleep these nuns bow heads,[/size]
[size=4]Bend shoulders, tune the throats still flaked with[/size]
[size=4]silence,[/size]
[size=4]Crying: O Beata Trinitas![/size]

[size=4]*It is true, the Monastery is next door (quite literally) to train tracks, and the train goes by loudly and often. I commented about the train to Mother one day, and, expecting her to complain, was happily surprised to hear her say, "We love the train; we eagerly embrace any penances for Our Lord and the world" or something to that effect. :love:[/size]

Edited by emmaberry101

Totally Franciscan

Emmaberry, regarding your Dad having set aside one day to drive to Assisi and see the sights, I suppose it would depend on FROM where you are driving TO Assisi. Driving in Italy is not like here with all the freeways. Some streets are just two lanes and do not go as fast as the larger roads, so it takes time to drive anywhere. I misjudged the time it would take to drive from Milan to Rome; it is not something I would like to repeat. There is so much to see, as many of our Phatmas friends have indicated in their posts. It would also depend on what absolutes you just must see and those you can forgo in the interest of time constraints. If at all possible, since this will most likely be your one and only visit to the home of St. Francis, you may want to take your time and drink it all in rather than rushing from one site to the next. Since you had been in Rome, you probably had a sense of wonder at every little thing there is to see and rushing through just does not work. My personal recommendation is to stay at least two days. That way you are not rushed and can slowly take it all in. Hopefully your Dad will be amenable to staying over at least one night.

ChristinaTherese

[quote name='DameAgnes' timestamp='1352698036' post='2508496']
These long countdown threads, I end up losing track. When are you actually entering, Emma?
[/quote]
She's entering on January 13, if I remember rightly.

Edited by Christina Thérèse

[size=4]Directions for a Eucharistic Procession[/size]

[size=4]Meet at the corner of joy and pain,[/size]
[size=4]Turn firmly down the narrow lane of faith.[/size]

[size=4]Bring each the hymnal of the heart’s[/size]
[size=4]Lost chords and all its wordless canticles.[/size]

[size=4]Be sure that spirit comes unshod[/size]
[size=4]For nimbler climbing of the beckoning heights.[/size]

[size=4]Pull down the blinks of eyelids, so to see[/size]
[size=4]What vision dizzies little earthly peerings.[/size]

[size=4]Rubrics require a candle lit[/size]
[size=4]From hope be carried in each chambered heart.[/size]

[size=4]To cast out dark of what appears,[/size]
[size=4]And summon spirit’s cry: The King! The King![/size]

[size=4]New post on the Barhamsville Facebook page (I especially love the bolded bit):[/size]

[indent=1][size=4]It is said that our Father St. Francis gave two coins to God: his body and his soul. But are these not paltry gifts to give, if not for St. Francis, then surely for us, with all our faults and failings, our wrinkles and our warts? Would it not be better for us to give the Divine Majesty some wonderful work or some magnificent sum of money for His greater honor and glory? But if we ask this question, then we show that we are losing sight of the truth that God is first of all a Lover, and Christ is the Bridegroom of every human being, not their CEO. And what ardent lover would ever be satisfied with anything his beloved gave him if she withheld herself? Of course, whoever has the means to do great things ought to use them, but all is worthless in the sight of God if it does not spring from and is an expression of the essential self-gift of love.[/size][/indent]

[indent=1][size=2][b][size=4]We little Poor Clares are icons of this glorious reality. Like the poor widow in today’s Gospel, we are without an earthly husband, without material possessions, and of little worth in the sight of men. But we joyfully cast our “two cents worth”, our bodies and our souls, our entire selves, into the treasury of the Church, confident that we are precious in God’s sight and that He will use us to enrich His Kingdom. And we hope that when you feel “like two cents”, that you will think of us and rejoice to know how valuable you are to God. You are worth the Precious Blood of Christ![/size][/b][/size][/indent]

[size=4][quote name='Totally Franciscan' timestamp='1352689371' post='2508407']
Emmaberry, regarding your Dad having set aside one day to drive to Assisi and see the sights, I suppose it would depend on FROM where you are driving TO Assisi. Driving in Italy is not like here with all the freeways. Some streets are just two lanes and do not go as fast as the larger roads, so it takes time to drive anywhere. I misjudged the time it would take to drive from Milan to Rome; it is not something I would like to repeat. There is so much to see, as many of our Phatmas friends have indicated in their posts. It would also depend on what absolutes you just must see and those you can forgo in the interest of time constraints. If at all possible, since this will most likely be your one and only visit to the home of St. Francis, you may want to take your time and drink it all in rather than rushing from one site to the next. Since you had been in Rome, you probably had a sense of wonder at every little thing there is to see and rushing through just does not work. My personal recommendation is to stay at least two days. That way you are not rushed and can slowly take it all in. Hopefully your Dad will be amenable to staying over at least one night.
[/quote]
Thanks Totally Franciscan! I will badger him. ;)

[quote name='Christina Thérèse' timestamp='1352698366' post='2508498']
She's entering on January 13, if I remember rightly.
[/quote]
Thank you Christina! I am gearing up to post on your 'Favorite Poems' thread...but, well, that's just the problem! Having to condense them into a small selection of favorites. You have given us quite a task. :P[/size]

Edited by emmaberry101

Found a different (perhaps earlier?) variation of the Roswell Poor Clare's Mañana Vocations Issue (bolded bits are new):

Manana - Poor Clare Colletine Vocation Newsletter

Monastery of Our Lady of Guadalupe

Roswell, NM

. . .

Are you a young woman who . . .

[b]- wants to turn your pockets inside out for God and love Him with all your heart and
all your soul and all your strength?
- has a driving ambition to send everyone to heaven?
- can see as St. Francis did, a potential fiddle and bow in a pair of sticks?[/b]

Do the words MY GOD AND MY ALL say it all for you?

Then don't delay to take full advantage of this ONCE-IN-A-LIFETIME-FOR-AS-LONG-
AS-YOUR-LIFETIME offer awaiting you in our little desert monastery, where a blessed
life for God features a life of . . .HARD LABOR!

That's right! Here is your chance to serve God with that full enthusiasm of mind and
body [b]bequeathed to us in our Franciscan way[/b]. If you have ever secretly supposed the
contemplative life to be a leisurely round of devotional exercises, punctuated by strolls
in the garden and a spot of embroidery now and again, FEAR NO MORE!

You will be relieved to know that for the cloistered nun loving God demands full-time
spiritual, mental and physical elbow grease. For our Lord well understands our need to
throw ourselves wholly into this business of loving Him, [b]and so He delights to send his
handmaids scurrying up ladders toting gallon cans of linen white paint to beautify his
house, or out to the fields to haul in the autumn leaves (by the parachute full) and the
winter pecan crop (by the barrow full)![/b]

He will expect you to love Him who is the truth by working your mental muscles in
pursuit of the truth as you delve into the riches of [b]Logic and Moral Theology classes.[/b]

Here in our little desert monastery you will be given ample scope and freedom to
pursue an ambitious career as a fully certified, full-time lowly servant of God. [b]No prior
experience in furniture stripping, laundry management or agricultural engineering is
required[/b]. Just come with a generous supply of that spiritual energizer-zeal for the
kingdom of heaven, [b]and all else from thimble coordination to logic's syllogisms to lawn
mower mechanics to persevering prayer will follow.[/b]

Wondering how there will be time for a full schedule of prayer and so much besides?
Stop your puzzling! Our daily horarium provides abundant accommodations on this
point with its simple expediency of . . .

LONG HOURS. Imagine the joy! Each night you will leap from your sleep at the
enchanting hour of 12:30 a.m.!! Again no prior experience as an early bird is required.
Rest secure - our rising bell comes fully equipped with exceptionally penetrating tonal
qualities. There is of course no time to be lost in the great work of singing God's
praises, and ultimately only the long space of all eternity will suffice for the task. [b]But
our midnight start each day is a practical step in this direction and provides a basic
introduction to the praise-lifestyle of heaven.[/b]

[b]URGENT! "So many souls go to hell because there is no one to pray and make sacrifices
for them."

Do these words of our Lady to the children at Fatima burn in your heart? If so, then
you will understand as all Poor Clares do, why there can never be days or hours long
enough![/b]

To maintain standards of integrity in advertising, we must here admit that the Poor
Clare who has found the hours in the monastery to be long, has not yet been discovered
to exist.

HARD LABOR! LONG HOURS! As if that weren't incentive enough, this life also
features (you guessed it) ...

NO PAY!! Yes! Say goodbye forever to that jingle in your pocket [b]for there are no
salaried position to be had in the monastery, no payroll, no wallets,[/b] not even a piggy
bank. [b]However, this essential absence of banking accessories does not mean there are
no accounts to be kept. From the moment you cross the threshold of the papal
enclosure[/b], you will have to cope with the ever-present reality of handling your
CONSTANT AND INSURMOUNTABLE DEBTS!

Every day in the cloister unfolds within the gratuitous context of our Lord's
providential hundredfold. From the inestimable gift of the Eucharist, to the constant
charitable services of your sisters, to the supporting gifts of our wonderful friends and
benefactors, [b]to the solicitous guidance of your superiors[/b] to your morning cup of
donated coffee; your debt of gratitude will always seem to outstrip your ability to meet
your payments. "How can I repay the Lord for his goodness to me," cries the psalmist.
And so will you!

HARD LABOR. LONG HOURS. NO PAY. CONSTANT DEBT. With such a line-up as
this, you might expect places to be limited and going fast! RELAX! There is always
room for as many more as the Lord of the harvest sends!

STILL ROOM! For one thing, Poor Clares don't need much. Depending on the response
to this ad, we can snugly seat four at those refectory tables currently spaciously set for
three. This will create several empty places [b]next to our postulant Jacqueline[/b]. If more
respond we can bring up the extra table from the basement. If still more respond, one of
your first assignments might be building refectory tables.

[b]Sister Immaculata[/b], our obliging cook, will be more than happy to raise the level of the
soup [b]and the oats. There are still straw sacks (our form of mattresses) in storage[/b]; and
we have assembled over the years a fine selection of postulant jumpers. One style suits
all (with a little personalized hem adjustment).

And as if that weren't enough, your monastic cell will include, a fine firm straw sack on
wooden boards, a wash stand and basin, a bench, a window, holy water font and --
standing room besides!!

[b]THERE'S MORE! Our grounds also hold 43, yes forty-three, private retreat houses.
These come with all the modern conveniences of running water (when it rains),
reclining chairs (insofar as you can recline on a tree stump), air-conditioned comfort
(when the wind blows), solar heating (in summer) and a spectacular view unhampered
by the confining presence of walls or roof. What more could be desired?[/b]

THE CATCH! Here it is, you say, the fine print, the bottom line. Such an offer as this
probably seems just too good to be true an there has to be a catch to it. Well, quite
frankly, there is a catch; and that's the cost, which for some might prove prohibitive.
For the price of embracing this life is nothing less than all you have to give. Lest you
accuse us of inflationary practices, this costly price-tag attached to a religious vocation
was put there by Jesus Himself. "Go and sell all you have," "He who puts his hand to
the plow and looks back . ."

[b]Abandoning the old fishing nets, be they stereo, Volkswagen, or roller skates is only the
beginning; for Jesus will continue to turn inside out the pockets of your heart until
everything there is His. So if you are tired of searching high and low for that one really
valuable pearl,[/b] then "Come," with ALL your heart and ALL your soul and ALL your
strength, - "and see." [b]For there can never be labors too hard, nor hours too long in the
service and praise of God and in the life and death struggle for souls, then it follows
that . . .[/b]

THERE CAN NEVER BE TOO MANY POOR CLARES!!!

Mother Mary Francis, PCC
Monastery of Our Lady of Guadalupe
809 East Nineteenth Street
Roswell, NM 88201

Colletine Poor Clare Daily Horarium

12:30 am Matins, silent prayer, suffrages

5:00 Rising for Lauds

5:16 Lauds, brief silent prayer; Cross prayer

6:00 Coffee; order cells

6:25 Private Exposition

7:00 Conventual Mass

7:50 Beginning of full-day Exposition, Terce, adoration hours

10:45 Sext, private prayer, examen, Cross prayer

11:30 Dinner, general work, free time

1:00 pm None, private prayer, Cross prayer

2:00 Classes, work

4:05 Rosary, Vespers, private prayer, Benediction

5:30 Collation, free time

6:30 Recreation

7:30 Compline, Cross prayer

8:45 Retire

Novitiate instructions are given twice daily. Solemnly professed nuns are free to have a
period of spiritual reading whenever they find it best for them. All may make the
Stations of the Cross during the day as convenient, and read of study in cells before
retiring.

Taken from homepage of the Poor Clares

http://listserv.american.edu/catholic/franciscan/clares/

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Provided courtesy of:

Eternal Word Television Network
PO Box 3610
Manassas, VA 22110
Voice: 703-791-2576
Fax: 703-791-4250
Data: 703-791-4336
FTP: EWTN.COM
Telnet: EWTN.COM
Email address: SYSOP@ EWTN.COM

EWTN provides a Catholic online
information and service system.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Sister Immaculata:[img]http://www.poorclaresroswell.com/PCC5.jpg[/img][img]http://www.poorclaresroswell.com/PCC4.jpg[/img][img]http://www.poorclaresroswell.com/Sister-Professing-Vows.jpg[/img]
Her little sister in the background (so cute!) is Alberta, who has a very touching video on the Laboure site.. at least I think it is still posted there. In the video, she says she is entering in Roswell, but she ended up entering in Chicago, which is where Roswell initially came from, and it ended up being one of their foundations/replenishings of a dilapidated community.

I have no idea who Postulant Jacqueline is/was...a very Franciscan name though-and beautiful as well!

I also found this [url="http://incharacter.org/archives/humility/good-habits-2/"]nice article[/url] on a woman who spoke with the PCCs near DC (I am guessing the Alexandria, VA Clares?) about humility. Be warned, though, that she waxes on about Buddhist beliefs concerning humility in the middle..

ChristinaTherese

[quote name='emmaberry101' timestamp='1352699461' post='2508500']
[size=4]Thank you Christina! I am gearing up to post on your 'Favorite Poems' thread...but, well, that's just the problem! Having to condense them into a small selection of favorites. You have given us quite a task. :P[/size]
[/quote] Or you could just post poems you like.... Y'know, redefine "favorite poems" to mean "spam with poems I like".... :child: