An Old School Catholic Message Board

Emmaberry's Pcc Countdown

emmaberry101

[quote name='nikita92' timestamp='1353301372' post='2512789']
Thank you for the explanation! ;) Here's another one...does the monastery/convent supply one's bedding...such as pillow and blanket? Emma, I know that your community sleeps on "straw" beds. Would one be allowed to bring a object (for their cell) such as a personal pillow or blanket? (you know is going to keep you warm) From a personal aspect...I KNOW that if I am assigned a rock hard pillow ( for example) I will NOT get adaquate rest! In NM I doubt that needing a warm blanket is much of a concern! ;-)
[/quote]

Hi Nikita! I can only speak for the PCCs (and those PC/OSC nuns in the Mary Immaculate federation) but no, you don't bring anything to make yourself more comfortable-this is why so many girls enthusiastically enter only to leave. The life is very demanding and very penitential. Like all vocations, there must be: First, a genuine call to the community and second, the ability to live the life. However, I know that the Monastery has plenty of blankets and extra bedding, and you can ask for extra covers if you get chilled. I went back and watched the Diane Sawyer interview again because they show a cell and the nun's bed, and they DO use pillows! I wasn't even sure of that until just now. Whether it is a straw pillow is unknown to me, but I can promise you it's not a feather pillow! :P

Sorry if that wasn't much help.. I am still pretty clueless about most things while I am on the outside.

emma why do you ignore me? It is because I am contagious from dsmme disease? :P

Edited by Lil'Monster

[quote name='Lil'Monster' timestamp='1353305130' post='2512825']
emma why do you ignore me? It is because I am contagious from dsmme disease? :P
[/quote]

Sorry Lil Mon! If you really want to know, it's because I'm on my phone (blasted Mac!) and it took me more than 10 minutes to type out that baby post! Sad situation, I know. :P

So your comment came through while I was typing a response to Nikita and I didn't know it because phone<computer.

PS I am not a Dominican because I can't join a community just for the habit, and that's all I would be joining them for! Their habits are beautifuuuul though, seriously.

[quote name='emmaberry101' timestamp='1353281655' post='2512541']
:lol4: Yes! That's hilarious. It could be a reality show on EWTN. The commercials would be really dramatic:

[indent=5]*Dad drops phone in dishwater, calls for electronic-friendly daughter to help*[/indent]

[indent=5]*Mom yells across the house, "She's in the convent, remember?"[/indent]

[indent=5]*Dad slowly turns to look at picture on wall of daughter in the habit, looks at his waterlogged phone, and crumpels to the floor in grief*[/indent]

Okay, maybe someone else should write. This comedy is turning into a drama. :|
[/quote]

[img]http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/250x250/25364808.jpg[/img]

:hehe:

But yes, this is a brilliant idea! Someone needs to pitch it to them!

New PCC Heart Ponderings blog post:

[b] [/b]
[indent=1][b]Full and Lasting Happiness[/b][/indent]

[indent=1]33[sup]rd[/sup] Sunday of Ordinary Time

"Last year the church gifted us with the long awaited new translation of the Roman Missal. At Bethlehem monastery we have often reflected together and commented on the riches of the prayers that are now directly available to us. This Sunday’s opening prayer for Holy Mass is no exception. “[i]Grant us, we pray, O Lord our God, the constant gladness of being devoted to you, for it is full and lasting happiness to serve with constancy the author of all that is good.” [/i]Here we ask God to give us constant gladness and are reminded of the true source of all joy. We spend much of our time seeking happiness in the wrong places-physical or emotional comforts, the esteem or admiration of others, power and self assertion. Even Poor Clares, although our resources for such vain pursuits are by our own free choice more limited, can also fall into the trap of seeking superficial rather than lasting joy. It takes a deep faith to see that full and lasting happiness is found only in God, the author of all that is good. In Him is ALL the good we are seeking in those other seemingly more attainable “goods”. Someone has said, “God is enough, God is enough, and everything else is not enough”. It is only in loving and serving Him, not sporadically but with constancy, that we will find that fulfillment which will at last quiet the longing of our hearts. The paradox here is that in the Kingdom, to serve is to reign, to die is to live and losing is so much gain."
[/indent]

Somebody must have been anonymously praying because...

[center]IT'S FIXED! THE MAC IS FIXED![/center]

Now I can rest easy knowing my family will not be sending me frantic letters to the Monastery concerning broken Macbooks.. That would be quite jarring to someone whose experience with electronics in the cloister is limited to typewriters.

And you know what this means..... daily poems! Do I hear crickets?

Also, I found out on my visit that the nuns performed A Short Walk Around the World at Evening for Sister on her profession day! How beautiful! If I persevere, I will be very much looking forward to whatever program the Sisters choose to put on. It sounds like they do more of Mother Francis' poems now that she has gone to her reward (She probably asked them not to out of humility when she was Abbess!) Speaking of:

[indent=2][i][size=4]Come Apart, and Rest... [/size][/i][/indent]

[indent=1][size=4]I dressed my soul in silence and I draped [/size][/indent]
[indent=1][size=4]Twelve veils of stillness on my heart. I sat [/size][/indent]
[indent=1][size=4]Under Your gaze. Water of being figured [/size][/indent]
[indent=1][size=4] [/size][/indent]
[indent=1][size=4]As sole selection from all menus tempting [/size][/indent]
[indent=1][size=4]With bread of doing. Even ant parading [/size][/indent]
[indent=1][size=4]Across my knees got clear and firm dismissal. [/size][/indent]

[indent=1][size=4]So, Love, I came apart to rest, invited [/size][/indent]
[indent=1][size=4]To easement in Your essence, for occasion [/size][/indent]
[indent=1][size=4]Like this attired in proper understanding. [/size][/indent]
[indent=1][size=4]Or so I thought, until this wild unlearning [/size][/indent]
[indent=1][size=4]Of all earth's stores of knowledge there began [/size][/indent]
[indent=1][size=4]And ended at Your Cross. [/size][/indent]

[indent=1][size=4]O stricken God Man! [/size][/indent]
[indent=1][size=4]O eager Life poured into very dying! [/size][/indent]
[indent=1][size=4]Your thirst cries out in all my silences, [/size][/indent]
[indent=1][size=4]And at the very stillpoint of my being [/size][/indent]
[indent=1][size=4]You are an urgent cry. I stagger forth [/size][/indent]
[indent=1][size=4]Drunk from my austere water changed to wine [/size][/indent]
[indent=1][size=4]By Being of You fixed on essenced me. [/size][/indent]

[indent=1][size=4]Who rests with You can never rest again.[/size][/indent]

[quote name='EmilyAnn' timestamp='1353322744' post='2512879']
[img]http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/250x250/25364808.jpg[/img]

:hehe:

But yes, this is a brilliant idea! Someone needs to pitch it to them!
[/quote]
[quote name='Chiquitunga' timestamp='1353336139' post='2512933']
that is totally me and my dad too :hehe:
[/quote]

I cannot describe how much I love the fact that you love memes, EmilyAnn! Yes, Chiquitunga, it sounds like we will all be sorely missed when we eventually enter. I have always imagined how strange it must be to be cloistered and to see your family (on visiting days) take out the newest electronics. One day we will see a hologram device from behind the grill.. :eek:

Edited by emmaberry101

Thank you Emma. It is not so much for comfort, than what one's body has been through over the course of years ie- car accident..hyperextended neck bones from cracking windshield...I understand about penitiential....I saw on one website ( forgot which one...maybe the sisters of St.Rita or the Poor Clares in FL) they showed a nun's cell and she had several colored blankets on her bed. I wouldnt expect for you to know the answer(s) to my question(s). Maybe I should start a new thread so that others can answer with what they know. Anyway...I supose you will discover it,shortly after you are shown your very own "CELL"! ;)

ChristinaTherese

[quote name='emmaberry101' timestamp='1353370974' post='2513274']
Somebody must have been anonymously praying because...

[center]IT'S FIXED! THE MAC IS FIXED![/center]

Now I can rest easy knowing my family will not be sending me frantic letters to the Monastery concerning broken Macbooks.. That would be quite jarring to someone whose experience with electronics in the cloister is limited to typewriters.

And you know what this means..... daily poems! Do I hear crickets?[/quote]
No crickets from over here.
I'm glad the Mac is fixed! (It could be difficult if it wasn't.... And now we get poems again!)

Edited by Christina Thérèse

[quote name='Christina Thérèse' timestamp='1353376228' post='2513324']
I'm glad the Mac is fixed! (It could be difficult if it wasn't.... And now we get poems again!)
[/quote]

Thank you Christina! Your prayers must be powerful-I will remember that in the future. :P

[quote name='nikita92' timestamp='1353376219' post='2513323']
Thank you Emma. It is not so much for comfort, than what one's body has been through over the course of years ie- car accident..hyperextended neck bones from cracking windshield...I understand about penitiential....I saw on one website ( forgot which one...maybe the sisters of St.Rita or the Poor Clares in FL) they showed a nun's cell and she had several colored blankets on her bed. I wouldnt expect for you to know the answer(s) to my question(s). Maybe I should start a new thread so that others can answer with what they know. Anyway...I supose you will discover it,shortly after you are shown your very own "CELL"! ;)
[/quote]

Oh Nikita-I am so sorry! I did not mean to imply that you were just looking to get comfortable-please forgive me for implying that. I just meant that normally nothing penitential about the life is mitigated. This is of course not the case for new postulants (who live a mitigated form of the PCC life) or for the professed nuns who have surgery or are ill-every effort is put forth to make sure they are comfortable! If your questions are for discernment purposes, I would definitely recommend contacting my Sisters or any of the Mary Immaculate federation PCCs/OSCs.. If you are just curious, then like I said, I am sorry I am not more help! :P I am very anxious to get inside and have these questions answered. There are so many little things I am curious about as well that I don't want to ask about for fear of seeming..i don't know..to focus on the trivial? Even though I firmly think it is not trivial to have these thoughts pass through your mind-as the Mistress said on a past visit, "This will be your whole life!" implying to me "Ask all your questions!"

Edited by emmaberry101

[quote name='emmaberry101' timestamp='1353308532' post='2512844']
Sorry Lil Mon! If you really want to know, it's because I'm on my phone (blasted Mac!) and it took me more than 10 minutes to type out that baby post! Sad situation, I know. :P

So your comment came through while I was typing a response to Nikita and I didn't know it because phone<computer.

PS I am not a Dominican because I can't join a community just for the habit, and that's all I would be joining them for! Their habits are beautifuuuul though, seriously.
[/quote]

I forgive you.... :P

That's one reason why I like the Dominicans because of their habits........but that is not the only reason..duh :|

ChristinaTherese

[quote name='emmaberry101' timestamp='1353377010' post='2513332']
Thank you Christina! Your prayers must be powerful-I will remember that in the future. :P

[/quote]
LOL I wasn't praying. (Well, not for that at any rate!) Now you'll never know who was.... :child:

[size=4]Processional [/size]
[size=4] [/size]
[size=4] My eyes are dim with the tears of Your courtship [/size]
[size=4] But you are a gentleness on my thorny crown. [/size]
[size=4] [/size]
[size=4] I have put you for a seal upon my sorrow [/size]
[size=4] And by this garlanded candle, [/size]
[size=4] I swear to follow where no flowers are. [/size]
[size=4] [/size]
[size=4] By voices singing, mark, I vow [/size]
[size=4] To spend my songs like reckless coins [/size]
[size=4] And buy some smiling silence in some dark. [/size]
[size=4] [/size]
[size=4] By organ peal, by incense curling, [/size]
[size=4] By rioting candle, and by innocent bell, [/size]
[size=4] By victim flowers spilling scents [/size]
[size=4] I here espouse Your blood, Your sweat, Your tears. [/size]
[size=4] (My eyes are dim with the tears of Your courtship [/size]
[size=4] But you are a gentleness on my thorny crown). [/size]
[size=4] [/size]
[size=4] I will scatter my youth like petals [/size]
[size=4] Before Your face. [/size]
[size=4] I will pour my grief like balm [/size]
[size=4] In Your yawning sorrows. [/size]
[size=4] I will come before You [/size]
[size=4] Wearing the streaming robes of my virginity. [/size]
[size=4] [/size]
[size=4] Now are my feet turned from the shining valleys [/size]
[size=4] And my face uplifted to the dark mountain. [/size]
[size=4] (But you are a gentleness on my thorny crown.) [/size]
[size=4] [/size]
[size=4] Now is my soul shut up in a jealous tower [/size]
[size=4] And my heart bound up in quiet. [/size]
[size=4] [/size]
[size=4] Give me the promised crown! [/size]
[size=4] The thorns prepared from all eternity, [/size]
[size=4] For my eyes are dim with the tears of Your courtship [/size]
[size=4] And every wound is wide.[/size]

[size=4][quote name='Christina Thérèse' timestamp='1353393145' post='2513519']
LOL I wasn't praying. (Well, not for that at any rate!) Now you'll never know who was.... :child:
[/quote][/size]

[size=4]:cries: [/size]

[size=4][i]Poem of the Day[/i][/size]

[size=4]Your Commands Have Become My Song[/size]

[size=4]Psalm 119[/size]

[size=4]Shall I but give You a clicking of my heels[/size]
[size=4]When the troops of my life You review?[/size]
[size=4]Are You, then, to me but Colonel or King[/size]
[size=4]Who searches not me, but my doing?[/size]

[size=4]Gladder to dance than to do,[/size]
[size=4]Sweeter to sing than to say.[/size]

[size=4]What's my salute as You walk through my life[/size]