Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

What You Would Not Want In Someone You Are Dating


Recommended Posts

RandomProddy
Posted (edited)

[quote name='Luthien' date='May 25 2004, 12:02 AM'] Non-catholics mixing with a devout Catholic, bad. I say this from experience... [/quote]
Well, there are exceptions. I live with two Roman Catholics, a fellow Anglican and a Bible Christian. We haven't killed each other in the name of the lord yet..

Edited by RandomProddy
Posted

[quote name='Archangel Raphael' date='May 24 2004, 10:22 AM'] the number one thing I'd probably NOT want in her is the denominational standards. Such as if shes baptist, you gotta be baptist too. Or even with Catholics, if she's Catholic and you -have- to be Catholic too. [/quote]
Well my main reason for preferring a Catholic is that I'll know that he believes the same things I do. I'd rather not have to debate with my boyfriend or husband. I guess "holds true to the teachings of the Catholic Church" would be equally acceptable, but then I wouldn't be able to attend Mass with him, you know?

;)

morostheos
Posted

I wouldn't want someone who doesn't believe in God. That's for sure. The Catholic/non-Catholic thing is a bit more sketchy, I figure God knows whats best.

One thing that was really important for me growing up though was that God was a certainty in my life, when I was young I was presented with a united front of the fullness of the Truth, from both parents. I would like to give my children that same advantage one day, to always have something solid to fall back on when life goes crazy. :)

1337 k4th0l1x0r
Posted

[quote name='Luthien' date='May 24 2004, 05:02 PM'] Arrogance, ignorance, ego so big he cannot enter a room...


Non-catholics mixing with a devout Catholic, bad. I say this from experience... [/quote]
Try having a lapsed Catholic as one of your roommates. Fortunately one of my other roommates is a practicing Catholic, so it's not too bad for me. Though I'll be moving out of the house this weekend so things may get rough for him. :unsure:

Posted (edited)

i wouldnt mind if they dont believe in God, all i want is their love and that i can give that love back to them just like God <33's us ^^

i know alot of ppl who aren't christian/catholic but are nice =)

Edited by nates
Posted

No drama queens.
No flashy dressers.
No high maintenance girls.
No girls, need a woman.
No lepers.
No polio or black plague victims.
No sexually active or hopefuls for sexual activity until after marraige.

CreepyCrawler
Posted

hmmm... <_<

Ash Wednesday
Posted

After my first real breakup I decided to steer clear from guys that have no internal drive or passion in life, the ones that are dreamers but not doers.

Honestly, from my exerience I also decided to steer clear of guys that were "too shy" to ask you out. That's a bunch of baloney. If they really, really like you, they would get over it and ask you out. Otherwise they're just flirting and they like the attention (And of course, you do, too.) but for whatever reason can't fathom getting past that stage.

So, when it comes to dating and forming a relationship where you want to eventually seek a marriage partner.... forget it.

I dated one of those by making the first move, and he turned out to be a commitment-phobe who couldn't decide for himself and just didn't know what he wanted in life.

By the time I reached a point where I became a pretty staunch Catholic and I sought a mate that might not HAVE to be Catholic, but they needed to respect my beliefs and wish to have that in my marriage and children.

So I sat there thinking, "hmm... well I guess my non-Catholic husband would have to honor my wishes to practice NFP..." which made me realize that he may as well be Catholic when push comes to shove, of course that isn't to say interfaith marriages can't work. My grandma was protestant and grandpa was Catholic. For years she sat in the car and read the paper while he took the family in to mass. Years later she converted to the Catholic faith but the chillin' were grownups by then.

:cyclops:

Well anyway, my current beau (and probably husband-to-be) is Catholic, anyway. Met through a Catholic group online years ago, and we instantly became friends because he was the only one who was as wierd as I am. :cyclops:

Posted

[quote]I would NOT date someone who:

is not Catholic.
is obsessed with themselves.
doesn't open the door for me.
doesn't offer me his coat when I'm cold and without a jacket.
expects me to look perfect all the time.
doesn't take his faith seriously enough.
takes his faith TOO seriously.
doesn't share my views on abortion.
smokes.
smells bad.
drinks.
doesn't know how to take care of a woman.
etc...

Ok...so I'm picky.  :P[/quote]

No you're not. (I go to a Protestant youth Group, I have friends there. And I try to be "ecumenical") In my youth group, we had a whole weekend about chastity. The Boys stayed in one cabin, and the girls stayed in another. We only "joined forces" (for lack of a better phrase) when we went to a giant indoor play thingy. But, no. You should be able to expect that out of a guy ( I am a guy, so that's something) (I'm not trying for a date or anything like that)

BeenaBobba
Posted

[quote name='Matty_boy' date='May 30 2004, 05:13 PM'] No lepers.
No polio or black plague victims.
[/quote]
How [i]dare[/i] you discriminate against lepers and Black Plague victims! Where's your heart! :lol:

God bless,

Jen

Posted

I won't limit myself to just Catholics. Any girl I do date would have to be open to my beliefs.

Posted

[quote name='una_fide' date='May 31 2004, 03:33 AM'] You should be able to expect that out of a guy ( I am a guy, so that's something) (I'm not trying for a date or anything like that) [/quote]
Why not? :huh:



:mellow:




:)




:rolleyes:





:lol:




:laugh: Just messin' with ya. ^_^

  • 2 years later...
Posted

[quote name='azaelia' post='199237' date='May 26 2004, 12:29 AM']
Well my main reason for preferring a Catholic is that I'll know that he believes the same things I do. I'd rather not have to debate with my boyfriend or husband. I guess "holds true to the teachings of the Catholic Church" would be equally acceptable, but then I wouldn't be able to attend Mass with him, you know?

;)
[/quote]

:yes:

xTrishaxLynnx
Posted

[quote name='Sojourner' post='193523' date='May 20 2004, 04:40 PM']
I wouldn't date a guy who doesn't share my faith.
[/quote]

I wouldn't either.

Posted

I was not Catholic when I met my husband. It was his prayers and encouragement that caused me to convert and fall in love with the Catholic Faith.

I am glad he never had that stipulation.

Posted

+

No smoking, no swearing, no drinking or drinks only in moderation. Doesn't have a habitual problem with any mortal sins. Mature. 100% Catholic.

Catholic. Loves God FIRST. If he loves anything more than GOD, that's not good enough.

xTrishaxLynnx
Posted

[quote name='prose' post='1186888' date='Feb 6 2007, 09:11 PM']
I was not Catholic when I met my husband. It was his prayers and encouragement that caused me to convert and fall in love with the Catholic Faith.

I am glad he never had that stipulation.
[/quote]

Good point. I guess I should say I wouldn't date someone who [i]wouldn't [/i] allow [i]me[/i] share my faith with [i]him[/i]. Like someone dead set against converting from the start. If he'd listen and be willing to learn from me sharing my faith with him, I guess that wouldn't be so bad. But ideally, he'd be a practicing Catholic.

Posted

I'd add to the list that I would never date someone I couldn't laugh with.

Posted (edited)

1) Someone who doesn't share my religious core values

2) Dishonest in any way

3) A promiscuous silly sally

4) A self-righteous hypocrite

5) Self-centered or materialistic

6) Insecure, neurotic, clingy, or manipulative

7) Arrogant or domineering


Think that eliminates 99.99% of women out there - Is it any wonder I'm still single?

Edited by Socrates

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...