An Old School Catholic Message Board

Don't Vote For Romney

Aloysius

Groo the Wanderer

[color=#282828][font='Open Sans', sans-serif]easy analysis:[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font='Open Sans', sans-serif]1. either Romney or Obama WILL win the election[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font='Open Sans', sans-serif]2. a vote for neither is the same as a vote for Obama[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font='Open Sans', sans-serif]3. neither is truly pro life, but Romney is closer, hence an improvement[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font='Open Sans', sans-serif]4. SO WHY THE FLOOPY WOULD YOU THROW AWAY A CHANCE AT EVEN A LITTLE IMPROVEMENT BY VOTING FOR SOMEONE YOU KNOW CANNOT WIN??!?![/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font='Open Sans', sans-serif]that's like not praying in front of the abortion clinic because you might only save 1 life out of the 50 that day. save the 1 when you can for pete's sakes![/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font='Open Sans', sans-serif]REALLY PHOLKS!?!?!?![/font][/color]

homeschoolmom

[quote name='dUSt' timestamp='1351042235' post='2496649']
I will send you a packet of powdered beer to add to water.
[/quote]
Today's my birthday-- send pretzels.

[quote name='Groo the Wanderer' timestamp='1351044935' post='2496686']
[color=#282828][font=Open Sans', sans-serif]easy analysis:[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=Open Sans', sans-serif]1. either Romney or Obama WILL win the election[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=Open Sans', sans-serif]2. a vote for neither is the same as a vote for Obama[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=Open Sans', sans-serif]3. neither is truly pro life, but Romney is closer, hence an improvement[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=Open Sans', sans-serif]4. SO WHY THE FLOOPY WOULD YOU THROW AWAY A CHANCE AT EVEN A LITTLE IMPROVEMENT BY VOTING FOR SOMEONE YOU KNOW CANNOT WIN??!?![/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=Open Sans', sans-serif]that's like not praying in front of the abortion clinic because you might only save 1 life out of the 50 that day. save the 1 when you can for pete's sakes![/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=Open Sans', sans-serif]REALLY PHOLKS!?!?!?![/font][/color]
[/quote]
Maybe because I understand how the electoral process works.

[quote name='Groo the Wanderer' timestamp='1351050099' post='2496770']
nope. don;t think you do. you are not voting for romney - you are voting for ryan in 8 years.
[/quote]
Ryan's plan adds 5 trillion over ten years, and we have no balanced budget until 2040.

Ryan supported TARP, QE, interventionist war, and NDAA. No, I won't be voting for him.

from Abolish Human Abortion:

"Please join us in praying that Romney doesn't appoint Supreme Court Justices like the ones appointed by the pro-life Republicans Nixon, Reagan, and George W. Bush's. Nixon appointed the man who wrote the majority opinion in Roe. Reagan appointed the judges who affirmed Roe in Casey v. Planned Parenthood. And Bush appointed the justice who upheld Obamacare."

[quote name='Groo the Wanderer' timestamp='1351044935' post='2496686']
[color=#282828][font=Open Sans', sans-serif]easy analysis:[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=Open Sans', sans-serif]1. either Romney or Obama WILL win the election[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=Open Sans', sans-serif]2. a vote for neither is the same as a vote for Obama[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=Open Sans', sans-serif]3. neither is truly pro life, but Romney is closer, hence an improvement[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=Open Sans', sans-serif]4. SO WHY THE FLOOPY WOULD YOU THROW AWAY A CHANCE AT EVEN A LITTLE IMPROVEMENT BY VOTING FOR SOMEONE YOU KNOW CANNOT WIN??!?![/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=Open Sans', sans-serif]that's like not praying in front of the abortion clinic because you might only save 1 life out of the 50 that day. save the 1 when you can for pete's sakes![/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=Open Sans', sans-serif]REALLY PHOLKS!?!?!?![/font][/color]
[/quote]
Your entire argument is based on the presumption that Romney is better. My OP here was spent completely and utterly refuting that idea, and no one has responded to the points I have offered.

Romney is NOT better. It's the difference between a pro-choice democrat or a pro-choice republican; a pro-war democrat or a pro-war republican, an anti-civil-liberties democrat or an anti-civil-liberties republican. the difference is whether we'll have an opposition party to these things, or a placated party of "conservatives" who think they're in charge so they don't notice how terrible Romney is.

fear-mongering that not voting for Romney will result in an Obama win doesn't work to people who view a Romney win as just as bad, [i]if not worse[/i].

Anomaly, as regards the partial birth abortion ban--if there was something like that on the horizon again, maybe you'd have an argument, anomaly. however, there is nothing like that on the horizon. the only thing we get is silly political shows like "banning gender-selective abortion" and other completely inane ineffective and stupid placations for the pro-life movement that have NO effect on the abortion issue. putting Romney as the head of the Republican Party for the next eight years ensures that the Republican party will be [i]less pro-life[/i] over the next eight years. simple as that. he will be a disaster on foreign policy, the economy, and no matter what your points are it's written into your very argument that there's nothing that can be done on the pro-life front anyway; but even if there was, Romney's not pro-life because he allows a health-of-the-mother exemption and has a decades long history of being pro-choice. the only thing he could do is appoint justices, but

this is not about the man Ron Paul, this is not spiteful or based on disappointment; this is the LONG TERM strategy, I am conceding that the battle in this election cycle is over and any semblance of conservative or pro-life views has lost, and we are now facing a choice between Obamney and Rombama-- a choice between two very similar candidates neither of which is better than the other from my perspective. it's about the message, and the message is served better by not supporting a man like this to be head of the Republican Party.

To put it in the hyperbolic terminology so common to political discourse right now:
If Obama wins, he destroys the country.
If Romney wins, he destroys the country and the Republican Party.

that's hyperbole, the country's not going to be destroyed or anything; but the policies will continue to be disastrous, Romney will be [i]worse[/i] than Obama in many ways because he'll have the Republicans behind him (think about how Obama complains he can't get anything done because the Republicans in congress are stopping him; Romney will be able to get things he wants done because the things he want are liberal things, and a big amount of the Republicans will fall in line with him because he's got an R after his name, and he'll be praised as a bi-partisan)

southern california guy

I am going to write in Ron Paul. I think that if enough people did then it would make a real statement.

No one is forcing us to choose the lesser of two evils. Believe it or not, registered voters actually do have the power to choose someone else. The Republicrats are counting on the fact that most voters think they only have two choices.

[quote name='Aloysius' timestamp='1351031918' post='2496545']
yes that doesn't typically jive with libertarianism, my amesome synthesis is for another thread
[/quote]

I would love to see this thread.

[quote name='Amppax' timestamp='1351086938' post='2496907']

I would love to see this thread.
[/quote]
oh man, you just want to see me get heckled by Winchester... I think I shall make a thread for it later today...

i<3franciscans

Just curious... who would you all rather have as vice president for the next four years??? Ryan or Biden? If you can't stand the two candidates look at the VPs. Ryan is obviously better. Vote for Romney. Then when riots break out and Romney is killed because electing him according to Chris Matthews is "racist" Ryan will be president.

Edited by i<3franciscans

homeschoolmom

[quote name='i<3franciscans' timestamp='1351088950' post='2496916']
Just curious... who would you all rather have as vice president for the next four years??? Ryan or Biden? If you can't stand the two candidates look at the VPs. Ryan is obviously better. Vote for Romney. Then when riots break out and Romney is killed because electing him according to Chris Matthews is "racist" Ryan will be president.
[/quote]
:o

The U.S. needs other political parties. It's a waste of time arguing over legal abortion, since no side is actually going to outlaw it. Why not work together to provide better services for women who do not want to have abortions?

Edited by savvy

i<3franciscans

[quote name='homeschoolmom' timestamp='1351089385' post='2496918']
:o
[/quote]
People are predicting this will happen if Romney is elected. I am not making it up.