An Old School Catholic Message Board

Don't Vote For Romney

Aloysius

that's not going to happen. if Romney wins, Obama will give a gracious concession speech... maybe some stupid people will riot the way people riot after sports losses, but it wouldn't be a big deal unless there was some credible belief that Romney had cheated... and Romney's too good at cheating to get credibly caught ;)

[quote name='Aloysius' timestamp='1351087904' post='2496914']
oh man, you just want to see me get heckled by Winchester... I think I shall make a thread for it later today...
[/quote]
Why would I heckle you? I'm a liberal, too.

i<3franciscans

[quote name='savvy' timestamp='1351089713' post='2496920']
The U.S. needs other political parties. It's a waste of time arguing over legal abortion, since no side is actually going to outlaw it. Why not work together to provide better services for women who do not want to have abortions?
[/quote]
props

[quote name='savvy' timestamp='1351089713' post='2496920']
The U.S. needs other political parties.
[/quote]The US has MANY other political parties. They just do not represent the opinions of a significant amount of voters. Political parties, and political ideas are built from the bottom up.
Have you heard of the Libertarian Party, Green Party, Constitution Party? These are all in more than 30 states. Then you have the couple of dozen smaller parties. In a representative system, parties have to have voters and supporters that agree with them. Sorry if your views are in the minority of public opinion.

[quote name='Anomaly' timestamp='1351092037' post='2496944']
The US has MANY other political parties. They just do not represent the opinions of a significant amount of voters.
[/quote]
And thus the reason I hate democracy. Like I hate all forms of tyranny.

i<3franciscans

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1351092289' post='2496948']
[/quote]
Tyranny ... It has never really worked ... yet.

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1351092289' post='2496948']
[/quote]Your definition of tyranny is every rule, standard, or guideline that you don't personally agree with. Get a grip on reality, that isn't how a society of individuals functions. Sorry that the reality of human nature and the development of civilization frustrates you. Possibly you could find some remote area of the world to live in your anarchist peace, or find a group of people that would allow you to be their benevolent dictator. It could happen...

i<3franciscans

[quote name='Anomaly' timestamp='1351092680' post='2496953']
Your definition of tyranny is every rule, standard, or guideline that you don't personally agree with. Get a grip on reality, that isn't how a society of individuals functions. Sorry that the reality of human nature and the development of civilization frustrates you. Possibly you could find some remote area of the world to live in your anarchist peace,[b] or find a group of people that would allow you to be their benevolent dictator. It could happen...[/b]
[/quote]
I don't think so. It is not possible, unless they have been brainwashed, but even that is ridiculous.

[quote name='i<3franciscans' timestamp='1351092438' post='2496950']
Tyranny ... It has never really worked ... yet.
[/quote]
Someone forgot to tell the tyrants.

Edited by Winchester

[quote name='Anomaly' timestamp='1351092680' post='2496953']
Your definition of tyranny is every rule, standard, or guideline that you don't personally agree with. Get a grip on reality, that isn't how a society of individuals functions. Sorry that the reality of human nature and the development of civilization frustrates you. Possibly you could find some remote area of the world to live in your anarchist peace, or find a group of people that would allow you to be their benevolent dictator. It could happen...
[/quote]
I agree with the guideline that homosexuals cannot marry members of the same sex. I disagree that it may be backed by force of law.

I agree that people should not smoke crack. I disagree that armed men should stop them from doing so.

My definition of tyranny is improperly wielded power, whether I personally like the law or not is immaterial, to me. I've explained I never expect to see societies truly based on non-aggression, but I intend to work toward that. Much like I don't think we will ever be entirely rid of rapists, but I will forever refuse to excuse rape based on that.

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1351093903' post='2496963']
I agree with the guideline that homosexuals cannot marry members of the same sex. I disagree that it may be backed by force of law.

I agree that people should not smoke crack. I disagree that armed men should stop them from doing so.

My definition of tyranny is improperly wielded power, whether I personally like the law or not is immaterial, to me. I've explained I never expect to see societies truly based on non-aggression, but I intend to work toward that. Much like I don't think we will ever be entirely rid of rapists, but I will forever refuse to excuse rape based on that.
[/quote]So your premise that there is no legitimate 'state' or 'civil authority'. There's only a list of 'You shoulds' issued by the Catholic Church, and after that, it's a matter of conscience.

Got it.

[quote name='Anomaly' timestamp='1351095719' post='2496979']
So your premise that there is no legitimate 'state' or 'civil authority'. There's only a list of 'You shoulds' issued by the Catholic Church, and after that, it's a matter of conscience.

Got it.
[/quote]
I believe in authority. I reject power as the source of authority.

The Catholic Church provides a moral guide for some of my personal actions.

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1351096610' post='2496984']
I believe in authority. I reject power as the source of authority.

The Catholic Church provides a moral guide for some of my personal actions.
[/quote]
What is 'exercise' authority? How is it done in human society?

[quote name='Anomaly' timestamp='1351096904' post='2496988']
What is 'exercise' authority? How is it done in human society?
[/quote]
Who are you quoting, there?

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1351097333' post='2496992']
Who are you quoting, there?
[/quote]I'm not quoting anyone. I'm asking a simple question.