PhuturePriest Posted October 30, 2012 Posted October 30, 2012 Stupid question that defeats a year of having you all fooled into thinking that I know everything, but I think the altar girl I met is hitting on me. What do I do?
Nihil Obstat Posted October 30, 2012 Posted October 30, 2012 I answered in your status, but I can do it again here. Ask her what she thinks of the Ottaviani Intervention. If she answers positively, wife her. Wife her now. Do not let her escape. If she answers negatively, then ignore her forevermore. Eventually she will learn the error of her ways, and you will have participated in a spiritual work of mercy. Win-win either way.
Nihil Obstat Posted October 30, 2012 Posted October 30, 2012 On a more serious note, just do not lead her on. Keep her at arm's length if she tries to get closer to you. Unless you are considering dating, but I am assuming you are not (and if you are planning on entering the seminary, IMO it is more prudent that you do not). Just treat her like you would treat any acquaintance whom you do not know very well. I am assuming you will only be seeing her on Sundays, so keep it business-like. Not cold or curt, but simply professional and friendly.
PhuturePriest Posted October 30, 2012 Author Posted October 30, 2012 [quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1351570022' post='2500165'] I answered in your status, but I can do it again here. Ask her what she thinks of the Ottaviani Intervention. If she answers positively, wife her. Wife her now. Do not let her escape. If she answers negatively, then ignore her forevermore. Eventually she will learn the error of her ways, and you will have participated in a spiritual work of mercy. Win-win either way. [/quote] She didn't even know what EWTN was, so I don't think she'll know what the Ottaviani Intervention is. If anyone wants to answer with a real answer, that would be amesome (Though I do love your amesome answers, Nihil).
Nihil Obstat Posted October 30, 2012 Posted October 30, 2012 My friend has that problem very often. During high school, every single one of our mutual friends developed a crush on him at some point, so at any given time there were two or three girls following him around like lost puppies. Unfortunately he is not very good at keeping them at arm's length. He is a great guy, but that is something he is not at all good at. And he paid the price for it too. Lots of girl-drama and stupidity and unnecessarily hurt feelings. IMO if someone has feelings for you which you do not reciprocate, it is better to let them know that than to give them false hope. For a guy, I think the best course of action is the one I outlined above. Girls tend to be pretty perceptive with this kind of thing, so it is likely that she will 'take the hint', feel sad for a week or two, then get over it. Far preferable to having false hope for months on end.
PhuturePriest Posted October 30, 2012 Author Posted October 30, 2012 [quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1351570504' post='2500170'] My friend has that problem very often. During high school, every single one of our mutual friends developed a crush on him at some point, so at any given time there were two or three girls following him around like lost puppies. Unfortunately he is not very good at keeping them at arm's length. He is a great guy, but that is something he is not at all good at. And he paid the price for it too. Lots of girl-drama and stupidity and unnecessarily hurt feelings. IMO if someone has feelings for you which you do not reciprocate, it is better to let them know that than to give them false hope. For a guy, I think the best course of action is the one I outlined above. Girls tend to be pretty perceptive with this kind of thing, so it is likely that she will 'take the hint', feel sad for a week or two, then get over it. Far preferable to having false hope for months on end. [/quote] This advice smells of elderberries. Next! Thank you. The thing is, I can't be certain. I get the feeling she is hitting on me, but I don't know indefinitely. She knows I want to be a Priest and she saw the photos of me in the cassock on Facebook. Maybe if she is hitting on me she thinks she can change my mind or something?
FutureCarmeliteClaire Posted October 30, 2012 Posted October 30, 2012 I have wisdom I am too tired to post. You poor, deprived people will have to wait till tomorrow.
PhuturePriest Posted October 30, 2012 Author Posted October 30, 2012 [quote name='FutureCarmeliteClaire' timestamp='1351570993' post='2500174'] I have wisdom I am too tired to post. You poor, deprived people will have to wait till tomorrow. [/quote] I'm waiting in utter suspense.
PhuturePriest Posted October 30, 2012 Author Posted October 30, 2012 [quote name='homeschoolmom' timestamp='1351571548' post='2500177'] How old is she? [/quote] I don't know exactly, but she is around my age. I would bet fifteen or sixteen.
Nihil Obstat Posted October 30, 2012 Posted October 30, 2012 [quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1351570785' post='2500172'] Thank you. The thing is, I can't be certain. I get the feeling she is hitting on me, but I don't know indefinitely. She knows I want to be a Priest and she saw the photos of me in the cassock on Facebook. Maybe if she is hitting on me she thinks she can change my mind or something? [/quote] Entirely possible. Also possible that she thinks you are willing to date before you go to seminary. Or, also possible that she just has not considered it. Has not thought about it one way or another.
homeschoolmom Posted October 30, 2012 Posted October 30, 2012 [quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1351571652' post='2500178'] I don't know exactly, but she is around my age. I would bet fifteen or sixteen. [/quote] Okay... cuz my answer would be different if she were 12. But I'm too tired to advise tonight.
PhuturePriest Posted October 30, 2012 Author Posted October 30, 2012 [quote name='tomasio127' timestamp='1351572335' post='2500183'] Is she a flirty kind of girl generally? [/quote] I don't know. She started off with saying I seemed like a "super nice guy", and that I should "hit her up sometime". Does that qualify as flirting?
Nihil Obstat Posted October 30, 2012 Posted October 30, 2012 [quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1351573326' post='2500185'] I don't know. She started off with saying I seemed like a "super nice guy", and that I should "hit her up sometime". Does that qualify as flirting? [/quote] Yes.
Basilisa Marie Posted October 30, 2012 Posted October 30, 2012 [quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1351573326' post='2500185'] I don't know. She started off with saying I seemed like a "super nice guy", and that I should "hit her up sometime". Does that qualify as flirting? [/quote] Yes. Unless she followed it up with a fist-bump. Then she's a bro.
PhuturePriest Posted October 30, 2012 Author Posted October 30, 2012 [quote name='Basilisa Marie' timestamp='1351573648' post='2500188'] Yes. Unless she followed it up with a fist-bump. Then she's a bro. [/quote] So would you qualify this as her hitting on me?
Nihil Obstat Posted October 30, 2012 Posted October 30, 2012 [quote name='Basilisa Marie' timestamp='1351573648' post='2500188'] Yes. Unless she followed it up with a fist-bump. Then she's a bro. [/quote] [img]http://www.newsrealblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/austin-powers-man-baby.jpg[/img]
PhuturePriest Posted October 30, 2012 Author Posted October 30, 2012 [quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1351574197' post='2500191'] [img]http://www.newsrealblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/austin-powers-man-baby.jpg[/img] [/quote] That made my night. I haven't seen Austin Powers since I was probably eight or younger.
Nihil Obstat Posted October 30, 2012 Posted October 30, 2012 [quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1351574326' post='2500194'] That made my night. I haven't seen Austin Powers since I was probably eight or younger. [/quote] I was not allowed to watch it at that age. Unfortunately by the time my parents got around to finally renting it, I was at a particular age where I did not find it to be as funny as I had been led to believe.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now