Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Recommended Posts

PhuturePriest
Posted

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1351574599' post='2500198']
I was not allowed to watch it at that age. :P Unfortunately by the time my parents got around to finally renting it, I was at a particular age where I did not find it to be as funny as I had been led to believe.
[/quote]

I probably wouldn't find it too hilarious if I watched it, but I'm sure there are some gems in there.

All I remember is that when I first watched it I was really young and impressionable, and I wanted to be exactly like him and say what he said. My sister had to explain to me after saying "bastard" that that was not a nice word and I should not use it.

Posted

Aw! A girl has a crush on Miles!

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1351570785' post='2500172']
Thank you. The thing is, I can't be certain. I get the feeling she is hitting on me, but I don't know indefinitely. She knows I want to be a Priest and she saw the photos of me in the cassock on Facebook. Maybe if she is hitting on me she thinks she can change my mind or something?
[/quote]
Some girls go after (wannabe) seminarians...I go to night prayer at a minor seminary weekly, and I'm pretty sure one woman I know goes there to find a holy husband at the social afterwards. I mean, it's a good idea. Where else are you going to go and find such a big group of good Catholic guys but a seminary?

Posted

I think its best to be friendly, as it is never best to be cold towards someone, but as others have said keep her at an as length. Leading someone on only leads to hurt feelings, so it is best to ensure she understands your plans on entering the priesthood. Maybe next time she engages in conversation with you, speak more about your plans on becoming a priest, she will more than likely get the hint that you don't plan on dating her and be able to move on.

Re: Austin Powers, I wish I had been able to watch. My parents never let me for some reason, yet let my younger sister watch it. These days its not really my film genre, so I haven't sat down to watch it. Maybe I should =p (I like thrillers and action films)..

I wish you the best of luck, and I hope you don't have to face any awkward experiences with her in the future. Maybe you can enlighten her on EWTN though, God may have brought her into your life to help her learn more about her faith =)

PhuturePriest
Posted

[quote name='Pax_et bonum' timestamp='1351575447' post='2500205']
Aw! A girl has a crush on Miles!


Some girls go after (wannabe) seminarians...I go to night prayer at a minor seminary weekly, and I'm pretty sure one woman I know goes there to find a holy husband at the social afterwards. I mean, it's a good idea. Where else are you going to go and find such a big group of good Catholic guys but a seminary?
[/quote]

Is it really that unbelievable? :hehe:

I'm pretty sure she's hitting on me. Her comments about me being a really nice guy and "hitting her up sometime" make me pretty suspicious. I have heard that saying you want to enter the Priesthood or religious life make you in fact more attractive, but I have never had the chance to see the theory tested.

Posted

You will want to stay well away from girls who actively pursue seminarians. :P That is true now, but it will be more true in five years.

PhuturePriest
Posted

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1351577547' post='2500220']
You will want to stay well away from girls who actively pursue seminarians. :P That is true now, but it will be more true in five years.
[/quote]

*Cough* Two years...

Posted

It is so nice that you have a minor seminary. I thought they were done away with after the Council. :|

Posted

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1351578764' post='2500225']
It is so nice that you have a minor seminary. I thought they were done away with after the Council. :|
[/quote]
I guess it's technically an undergraduate seminary, but they also call it a minor seminary. I think it even says it on a shirt or sweatshirt.

PhuturePriest
Posted

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1351578764' post='2500225']
It is so nice that you have a minor seminary. I thought they were done away with after the Council. :|
[/quote]

Um... No. I know this because in two weeks I am in fact visiting Conception Seminary, which is known as Minor Seminary. When I go to Major Seminary I'll probably go to Saint John Vianney Major Seminary in Denver, but I haven't decided yet.

To Jesus Through Mary
Posted

FP- Yes she is hitting on you. And like Nihil says keep her at arms length. It will only end up in unwanted drama. She may not be the seminarian chaser. (those are the worst kind- "but but God is calling us to be married! Not for him to be a priest!") Especially since she may not be educated in the faith. If you don't want to choose the option of keeping her at arms length you can always drop large hints like "It is so great to have a girl just as a friend." "I am glad I am never going to get married, so I don't have to date..." "You know priests don't get married, right?" "I have a flesh eating bacteria. It is contagious" But honestly FP, be sure not to lead her on. I am sure it is innocent enough, but could end very badly.

Posted

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1351580949' post='2500233']
When I go to Major Seminary I'll probably go to Saint John Vianney Major Seminary in Denver, but I haven't decided yet.
[/quote]

NOOOO you should come to St. Paul's in Pittsburgh!

Posted

Or it could be just possible that she finds you appealing as a person and wants to get to know you better since she is beyond the age of thinking boys are yucky. Being friendly with her does not mean it's a romantic relationship. Don't load up a freindly relationship with a ton of excess conjecture. You can be freinds in the freindzone. Unless you fear you may not be mature enough to have a freind of the opposite sex without it having romantic entaglements.

Posted

I would have to agree with anomaly..

Perhaps the more prudent path is not to automatically think, is she catholic enough, holy enough, or (dare i say) chaste enough for you. Because the fact of the matter is you really have no idea now, and are just going off very limited data. If she seems like a nice enough person to get to know better, then get to know her better. Once you get to know her better, you will be in a more knowledgable position to set proper courses of action.

Hey, a girl wants to talk to you. You are already eons ahead of where dUSt was at this age....... take heart :)

i<3franciscans
Posted

Good luck Miles! I have been in the same situation before... yours will probably end better than mine though...

Posted

Altar[u][i][b] girl[/b][/i][/u]?!! Good grief! *ugh* Why, oh why, oh why? Tell her to "Get thee away from the altar...and quickly too!"

How long O Lord? How long?

Posted

I have to agree with anomaly and mlkolbe. As shocking a concept as this clearly is to some people, [i]she could just want to be friends[/i]. You really don't have enough information at this point to make a judgement.

FutureCarmeliteClaire
Posted (edited)

I agree with MIKolbe.

Firstly, I want to remind us all that while FP is seriously discerning, he has not been accepted to seminary yet and is not a seminarian. And two years is a long time.

FP, you didn't tell us how you feel about her, so I'm going to offer several scenerios.

If you have no interest whatsoever: Be friendly, but keep her at a distance. If matters escalate, you may even want to tell the girl that you have no other intention than to be her friend. She'll get the message.

If you want a real friendship: Get to know her, her interests, her family, etc. It never hurts to have another friend. Again, if she is going too far, you may have to mention something to her. Ask her if she's ever considered the religious life!

If you have interest: Get to know her, her interests, her family. See where things go.

Edited by FutureCarmeliteClaire
Posted

[quote name='FutureCarmeliteClaire' timestamp='1351611093' post='2500325']
I agree with MIKolbe.
[/quote]


Gets a prop.. EVERY time.

Posted

And be careful during the "Sign [s]Kiss[/s] of Peace"!

Posted

I have a lifetime of experience of deflecting girl's attractions to me. This is not something you'd want to take the advice of people like MIKolbe or Nihil. They have no experience in this matter.

Whatever you do, do not treat her like c[size=4]r[/size]ap. This was one of my early tactics, but it only makes the girl more attracted to you. It is an unexplained phenomenon among teenage girls.

My advise to you is avoid all contact with her and talk to your priest about not allowing girl altar servers anymore.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...