An Old School Catholic Message Board

Forget The President, What About The Marijuana?

dUSt

It's very interesting that now in this beautiful state, marijuana sales will help fund schools. The same schools that for so long ran DARE campaigns to fight against drugs.

[quote name='Jesus_lol' timestamp='1353368055' post='2513226']
Good thing too. They dont allow DARE in many places anymore because it was shown to be completely ineffective.
[/quote]
Has it not also been shown to actually increase future rates of drug use in some cases?

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1353368113' post='2513228']
Has it not also been shown to actually increase future rates of drug use in some cases?
[/quote]

Thats actually what I remember, but i figured if I committed to the argument that much, i would be obligated to source it if someone asked, and I couldnt be arsed to do such a thing for these yobbos.

[quote name='dUSt' timestamp='1353378634' post='2513361']
I completely agree and disagree with everyone in this thread.
[/quote]
your love of Mitt Romney makes more sense now...

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1353368113' post='2513228']
[/quote]
Correlation =/= causation.

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1353416764' post='2513599']
Correlation =/= causation.
[/quote]
For sure. But it definitely is not doing what it was meant to do.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1353435206' post='2513732']
For sure. But it definitely is not doing what it was meant to do.
[/quote]
You're setting a bad example for the pietists.

[font=Helvetica Neue', Arial, Verdana, sans-serif][size=4][background=rgb(255, 255, 255)][quote name='Mark of the Cross' timestamp='1353445842' post='2513843']
[/quote]
[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1353450234' post='2513871']
[/quote]
[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1353453866' post='2513919']

[/quote][/background][/size][/font]

Edited by Nihil Obstat

Take a look at what a lot of psychiatrists say about the drug. The "marijuana is harmless" argument makes me nuts. I have older half-brothers who were hippies as in their kids were born in Haight Ashbury in the mid to late 60's. Every single one of their friends who were regular pot smokers are dead, either by suicide or brain abnormalities (tumors etc) as are several of my high school friends who regularly used. One of those half-brothers smoked since he was 16, has had 2 strokes and is not at all the same person I knew, say, 20 years ago. We had to cut off contact with him.

Also met a couple whose 17 yr old daughter tried it one time and is in a psych ward - she was one of the susceptible ones, but there's no way to know that ahead of time. There's a small percentage of the population that will experience psychosis the first time they try it. The brain is mostly fat and the effects linger for weeks or months in the brain tissue.

What about driving or flying a plane while high? The tests at this point are blood or urine as opposed to breathalyzer for alcohol. How are we as a society going to handle driving, flying or boating under the influence of THC?

Last point - do you agree with banning Big Gulps, cigarettes, high fructose corn oil, transfats, etc? If yes, then why do you regard marijuana as harmless and those others as poisons so detrimental they must be banned?