An Old School Catholic Message Board

Forget The President, What About The Marijuana?

dUSt

Clearly society has no role in penalizing any behavior that cannot be unequivocally proven as detrimental to the majority the population.

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='Ice_nine' timestamp='1352506899' post='2507458']
Because the US lawmakers 70 years ago decided, for nonsensical reasons mind you, decided cannabis was bad? Help me see where the distinction is!

[/quote]
I provided a document from a medical authority for what it's worth that says Marijuana is very dangerous. To date no one has challenged it with a countering document. So far all we have is the personal opinion of users who may only be trying to convince themselves that's it's safe to avoid facing reality. In Oz it is legal to grow a small amount for personal use. Large scale production and selling is illegal. To me this seems fair! Peoples right to chose what they want to do is not being suppressed while it's use is not being promoted by allowing suppliers to push it. Personally I think sin comes into it when you encourage someone to do something by arguing that it is safe when authorities tell otherwise. Tobacco companies where sinning when they promoted cigarettes as manly and endorsed to be safe by doctors. The Australian government allows tobacco use with no advertising and enforced health warnings on packaging. Marijuana should be treated the same I guess.

Edited by Mark of the Cross

[quote name='Jesus_lol' timestamp='1352574781' post='2507809']
Clearly, when you start comparing drug legalization to abortion and gay marriage, you have lost the debate.
[/quote]clearly, if you refuse to see the similar principles to discuss, you are committed to superficial discussion.

Should social authority restrain from any penalizing action unless immediate harm is proven? What is the role of societal standards? If any, what are the limits of disincentive and at what point is tolerance actually no standard or evaluation of good or bad?

Edited by Anomaly

[quote name='Jesus_lol' timestamp='1352574781' post='2507809']
Clearly, when you start comparing drug legalization to abortion and gay marriage, you have lost the debate.
[/quote]
listen, when you start talking like that, you might as well be Hitler.

that's right, you just got Godwin'd

btw I do want to devote some time to a better response in this thread, but every time I leave it to go find some sources to delve into the topic more, I realize that instead of doing research for a random thread on phatmass I really should be doing research for grad school work and get distracted by it... I felt the need mostly to argue against raising the level of the Pontifical Council on Healthcare's policy recommendations to the level of the Church and saying those who were in favor of de-criminalizing were disagreeing with the Church (by that line of reasoning no one can be against powerful world governments (pontifical council on justice and peace) or socialized healthcare (there are points to be made about principles but we can have varying ideas of what the best policy direction should be), but beyond that (and even speaking to that point), I can't devote the time I'd like to in discussing this topic more in depth. My sincere apologies, it is going on my list of things to do on phatmass right behind that thread I keep meaning to make about how Heinrich Pesch is better than Ludwig von Mises (don't make it, lol, I really need some time to do some more in depth reading of him to do that topic justice, something I've been meaning to do anyway)

Edited by Aloysius

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='Anomaly' timestamp='1352582776' post='2507865']

Should social authority restrain from any penalizing action unless immediate harm is proven? What is the role of societal standards? If any, what are the limits of disincentive and at what point is tolerance actually no standard or evaluation of good or bad?
[/quote]
As soon as you drive a car you are putting lives at risk Lol. We don't ban people because they put lives at risk in a natural and normal way. We decide on a grey line that defines what is acceptable risk and what is not. In the case of driving there are many people who pose unacceptable risk but are not banned. So we are very tolerant. The medical profession thinks that Marijuana poses a degree of unacceptable risk compared to benefits and thus should not be encouraged as it's use is not required for normal life activities. The exception being for pain relief which makes it acceptable. Should it's use be illegal? No! But it is irresponsible and possibly sinful for users or supporters to try to make out that it is safe without some authoritative evidence of support that contradicts the medical determination.

PS we seem to have two threads in one here. The Op asked if Marijuana should be legalised. Somehow that has been changed to what the Church rules. :hehe2: Personally I think the Church is entitled to have its view but not to make any determination, especially in a secular country like Australia.

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1352834225' post='2509293']
I am enjoying this discussion.
[/quote]
[img]http://www.hahastop.com/pictures/Never_Done.jpg[/img]
sucking on the weed?

Edited by Mark of the Cross