An Old School Catholic Message Board

Forget The President, What About The Marijuana?

dUSt

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Ice_nine' timestamp='1352507551' post='2507472']

You know, I'm getting this sneaking suspicion that you don't really know what you're talking about. I've read what Apo posted. Nothing he posted addressed my question, particularly where the church draws distinctions between which substances are moral and which ones are not. But feel free to show me where these distinctions are drawn and I'll be happy.
[/quote]

Think what you will. There's just some times you just got to submit to Church teaching rather than question it.

[quote name='Apotheoun' timestamp='1352325985' post='2506047']
That is correct, because the federal government has declared cannabis to be a controlled substance.
[/quote]
An act for which it completely lacked authority.

[quote name='KnightofChrist' timestamp='1352507603' post='2507475']
Why rationalize the Church's teaching away like that? Why not just submit and obey?
[/quote]
I'm not rationalizing anything away.

I go with [i]Libertas[/i]. Some evils will have to be tolerated in order to avoid greater ones. It has never been the position of the Church that all evils must be punished through legislation.

Oh looky, I've read church documents, too.

I've already been informed that my refusal to pleasure our wise overlords isn't Catholic.

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1352507468' post='2507468']
He provided a quote from the pontifical council.
[/quote]

are you saying this in response to me?

Is the only concern to be able to act as selfishly as possible? Limited by known direct harm to others, but all else is okay?

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1352508115' post='2507480']

I'm not rationalizing anything away.

I go with [i]Libertas[/i]. Some evils will have to be tolerated in order to avoid greater ones. It has never been the position of the Church that all evils must be punished through legislation.

Oh looky, I've read church documents, too.

I've already been informed that my refusal to pleasure our wise overlords isn't Catholic.
[/quote]

You read?

Why no questions?

How do you reconcile your anti-statism with documents like Libertias anyway?

And where do you draw the line on the legality of drug abuse? Or should any and all forms be decriminalised?

[quote name='Ice_nine' timestamp='1352508168' post='2507482']

are you saying this in response to me?
[/quote]
Sure, why not?

[quote name='KnightofChrist' timestamp='1352509195' post='2507489']

How do you reconcile your anti-statism with documents like Libertias anyway?

[/quote]
I don't need to. They're not at odds.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1352509714' post='2507496']

I don't need to. They're not at odds.
[/quote]

Are you sure? Why doesn't it question the right of the state to exist, or call into question the ability for a person to be in places of power in a state? Sure it condemns unjust practices of the state, but why doesn't it or any related and similar documents go as far as the anti-statism I've read from you?

[quote name='KnightofChrist' timestamp='1352510235' post='2507501']
Are you sure? Why doesn't it question the right of the state to exist, or call into question the ability for a person to be in places of power in a state? Sure it condemns unjust practices of the state, but why doesn't it or any related and similar documents go as far as the anti-statism I've read from you?
[/quote]
I am sure.

I think it's your bias. You support the modern state and the modern notions of taxation. It used to be that "sovereigns" could not raise taxes without consent of the ruled. We're never going to agree. I've been in your spot. This process took years, although I'd long ago rejected the modern state in favor of feudal monarchism. My final rejection of the kings God told us we didn't want only recently occurred.

[quote name='zabbazooey' timestamp='1352425517' post='2506847']
I've read up on my cannabis. Other than feeling a little dopey afterwards and short term memory effects from abuse (which, in some studies, the effects go away after abstinence), the risk of lung cancer if you choose to smoke it (now they make lollipops, lozenges, butter, and of course BROWNIES! :) ) it is much safer than a lot of other legal substances. Like booze. Prescription drugs. Whatever else, ya know.
[/quote]

Forgive me for hijacking the thread, but I have to ask -- where is your avatar from? I know it has to be from some movie that I've never seen and it's driving me crazy...

Lol, it's Wayne and Jan Skylar, the only married news team in the tri county area! From Tim & Eric, used to be on Adult Swim.

[quote name='zabbazooey' timestamp='1352512862' post='2507525']
Lol, it's Wayne and Jan Skylar, the only married news team in the tri county area! From Tim & Eric, used to be on Adult Swim.
[/quote]

Ok, now I won't be going crazy. LOL! I seriously could not figure out where it was from and I kept thinking, "The one on the right HAS to be a guy dressed as a woman..." :hehe2:

homeschoolmom

Thank you for asking!!! I searched through 304 pages of Awkward Family Photos looking for it. (Not that it was torture, because I love that site... but still...)

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1352481826' post='2507228']
Can someone provide me a list of the people who think we have the right to stop people from using intoxicants, so that I can know who is wrong, on here? I don't want to read all this stuff before launching into my attacks against the moral busybodies.
[/quote]
Yeah, moral busybodies like Pope John Paul II and Pope Benedict. I know you don't like hearing this, but the Church is not Libertarian on moral issues (e.g., on abortion, "gay marriage," decriminalization of drugs, etc.).

Edited by Apotheoun