An Old School Catholic Message Board

Forget The President, What About The Marijuana?

dUSt

Ya but I think you are the type of guy who's been at mass 98 % of the time every week and never missing since you've been at phatmass and pry long before...to me that's honorable cause you are living your faithout non stop. And that's what we are called to do.

Edited by Guest

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MESZh-_uyUQ&feature=player_detailpage[/media]
For what its worth and if you have the time, this documentary seems to answer a lot of the questions raised on this thread...

[quote name='KnightofChrist' timestamp='1352490449' post='2507289']
Can a Catholic provide proof from the Magisterium that says making pot not illegal is ok?
[/quote]
Why would that be necessary?

[quote name='Mark of the Cross' timestamp='1352490420' post='2507288']
You should go to prison if you damage someone elses health.
[/quote]
We're all screwed, then.

Rape cages for damaging another person's health. Makes sense.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1352506224' post='2507448']

Why would that be necessary?
[/quote]

Why is it necessary to obey Mother Church?

[quote name='KnightofChrist' timestamp='1352506479' post='2507451']
Why is it necessary to obey Mother Church?
[/quote]
Why do you think we need a list of things which may be legal? I wasn't aware we operated like this, now.

[quote name='KnightofChrist' timestamp='1352477004' post='2507185']
There maybe an exemption for medical use but any other use is abuse and the Church says no and says it should not be made legal. So again what Apo said...
[/quote]

With all due respect, your making leaps that just aren't there. Particularly, I see no where that the church condemns the use of "drugs" where nicotine, alcohol, caffeine, kava and other perfectly acceptable intoxicants cannot fall under the umbrella of "drugs." So the church, despite what you think, has not drawn a line between acceptable and unacceptable substances and yet, the substances listed enjoy some magical moral protection? Please show me where this distinction is! Please. Why do some substances get a pass? Because the US lawmakers 70 years ago decided, for nonsensical reasons mind you, decided cannabis was bad? Help me see where the distinction is!

But some psychoactive substances are apparently oki-dokie, show me where the church says which ones. Unless you are willing to say that using alcohol, nicotine, and caffeine (which can kill you pretty easily if you have it in its pure form) is gravely sinful. Ok, not alcohol because apparently that's super magical.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1352506712' post='2507455']

Why do you think we need a list of things which may be legal? I wasn't aware we operated like this, now.
[/quote]

Why not submit to the Church when she says it should be legalized?

Why play 20 questions? Is it fun?

[quote name='KnightofChrist' timestamp='1352506922' post='2507460']
Why not submit to the Church when she says it should be legalized?

Why play 20 questions? Is it fun?
[/quote]

Are you confusing decriminalization with approval? Again?

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Ice_nine' timestamp='1352506899' post='2507458']

With all due respect, your making leaps that just aren't there. Particularly, I see no where that the church condemns the use of "drugs" where nicotine, alcohol, caffeine, kava and other perfectly acceptable intoxicants cannot fall under the umbrella of "drugs." So the church, despite what you think, has not drawn a line between acceptable and unacceptable substances and yet, the substances listed enjoy some magical moral protection? Please show me where this distinction is! Please. Why do some substances get a pass? Because the US lawmakers 70 years ago decided, for nonsensical reasons mind you, decided cannabis was bad? Help me see where the distinction is!

But some psychoactive substances are apparently oki-dokie, show me where the church says which ones. Unless you are willing to say that using alcohol, nicotine, and caffeine (which can kill you pretty easily if you have it in its pure form) is gravely sinful. Ok, not alcohol because apparently that's super magical.
[/quote]

Apo has already provided the Church's teaching on the matter of legalizing pot. She's against it. End of fracking story when it comes to that.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1352507069' post='2507463']

Are you confusing decriminalization with approval? Again?
[/quote]

Are you accusing the Church of this? Would you like me to provide numerous documents where she states decriminalisation of unethical practices is giving approval of the practice by the government? Because I can..

[quote name='KnightofChrist' timestamp='1352507230' post='2507466']
Apo has already provided the Church's teaching on the matter of legalizing pot. She's against it. End of fracking story when it comes to that.
[/quote]

You know, I'm getting this sneaking suspicion that you don't really know what you're talking about. I've read what Apo posted. Nothing he posted addressed my question, particularly where the church draws distinctions between which substances are moral and which ones are not. But feel free to show me where these distinctions are drawn and I'll be happy.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1352507468' post='2507468']
He provided a quote from the pontifical council.
[/quote]

Why rationalize the Church's teaching away like that? Why not just submit and obey?