Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Recommended Posts

Posted

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXCj_t_tBxo[/media]

Posted

If I wore 4" heals, aside from banging my head in doorways, I'd probably end up in a cast.

brianthephysicist
Posted

I've heard people say that high heels are immodest because they emphasize calves, elongate the legs, and lift the bum.

Basilisa Marie
Posted

[quote name='brianthephysicist' timestamp='1353308203' post='2512841']
I've heard people say that high heels are immodest because they emphasize calves, elongate the legs, and lift the bum.
[/quote]

I've also heard knee-length skirts are immodest. Also pantaloons. :|

Posted

[quote name='To Jesus Through Mary' timestamp='1353291462' post='2512658']
How could footwear be immodest?
[/quote]

Maybe if they're bare? "Oh my, her feet are naked!"

Posted

[quote name='brianthephysicist' timestamp='1353308203' post='2512841']
I've heard people say that high heels are immodest because they emphasize calves, elongate the legs, and lift the bum.
[/quote]
I see nothing wrong with any of that. :| At least not necessarily wrong. Almost makes it sound like doing your best to look good is necessarily immodest.

Posted

[quote name='brianthephysicist' timestamp='1353308203' post='2512841']
I've heard people say that high heels are immodest because they emphasize calves, elongate the legs, and lift the bum.
[/quote]
I've heard people say the moon landings were faked. These sorts of things let you know who you shouldn't listen to.

Posted

[quote name='arfink' timestamp='1353291463' post='2512659']

Well, the standard response to all modesty questions falls in one of these categories:

1) Modesty is not your problem, wear it!
2) Those boots looks nice, wear them!
3) Only if the boots are a hand width above your knee may you wear them.
4) Women are responsible for all impurity in the hearts of men, you may only wear full chain mail bunny pajamas under a burka.
[/quote]

CHAINMAIL

Posted

[quote name='brianthephysicist' timestamp='1353308203' post='2512841']
I've heard people say that high heels are immodest because they emphasize calves, elongate the legs, and lift the bum.
[/quote]
I've heard people say that people who say that have no idea what they are talking about and are merely projecting their weaknesses onto others.

Posted

[quote name='EmilyAnn' timestamp='1353319433' post='2512871']

CHAINMAIL
[/quote]
Actually "chain" or "mail" would be proper. Both words mean the same thing. You're essentially saying "chainchain", if you say "chainmail".

Posted

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1353330624' post='2512905']
Actually "chain" or "mail" would be proper. Both words mean the same thing. You're essentially saying "chainchain", if you say "chainmail".
[/quote]


nerd.

Posted

Virginity thread and now this. Just copy/paste the pages from the last modesty thread and close this one.

But, I am curious. What does rice wine have to do with modesty?

homeschoolmom
Posted

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1353331641' post='2512910']
Virginity thread and now this. Just copy/paste the pages from the last modesty thread and close this one.

But, I am curious. What does rice wine have to do with modesty?
[/quote]

Seriously. All we need now is the perpetual "chapel veil" thread and we'll have the Phatmass Hat-Trick.

missionseeker
Posted

Don't forget pantaloons.

homeschoolmom
Posted

[quote name='missionseeker' timestamp='1353334670' post='2512926']
Don't forget pantaloons.
[/quote]
pantaloons are a sub-set of modesty.

Posted

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1353308875' post='2512848']
I see nothing wrong with any of that. :| At least not necessarily wrong. Almost makes it sound like doing your best to look good is necessarily immodest.
[/quote]

For the sake of playing devil's advocate, I'ma use this quote as a scapegoat. Hopefully this will generate some interesting discussion.

So given that heels do all that amazing stuff to your (well, a woman's; I would hope you don't wear heels, Yosef :|) butt, couldn't they in some sense be compared to wearing low-cut shirts with lots of cleavage?

They accentuate and draw attention to certain parts of the body in a way that says "look at me!" Isn't that immodest?

Posted (edited)

[quote name='brianthephysicist' timestamp='1353308203' post='2512841']
I've heard people say that high heels are immodest because they emphasize calves, elongate the legs, and lift the bum.
[/quote]

hrm. i honestly don't know what to say in response. i don't think that my mom's generation of women thought about this. high heels were just a way to complete the "package" of a dressy outfit. when i wear high heels, it is a way of completing my dressy outfit (and showing off my amesome taste in shoes). (not to mention that a lot of women's dresses and slacks are pretty long and almost require high heels to make sure the dress or slacks don't drag on the ground.)

does wearing high heels have a side effect of what you mentioned? sure. but if you're too scrupulous, anything and everything can be an occasion of sin. (not to mention that being too scrupulous has a pretty detrimental effect on your spiritual life.)

Edited by Lil Red
homeschoolmom
Posted

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1353338741' post='2512948']
hrm. i honestly don't know what to say in response. i don't think that my mom's generation of women thought about this. high heels were just a way to complete the "package" of a dressy outfit. when i wear high heels, it is a way of completing my dressy outfit (and showing off my amesome taste in shoes). (not to mention that a lot of women's dresses and slacks are pretty long and almost require high heels to make sure the dress or slacks don't drag on the ground.)

does wearing high heels have a side effect of what you mentioned? sure. but if you're too scrupulous, anything and everything can be an occasion of sin. (not to mention that being too scrupulous has a pretty detrimental effect on your spiritual life.)
[/quote]

Of course, then we should ask, "Why are heels considered dressy, and flats less so?" Why do they complete the package in a way that flats do not seem to? Why are they more esthetically pleasing?

missionseeker
Posted

I think it's the same as a dress shirt with a tie or without tie. One is just more dressy. Maybe it has to do with the level of potential discomfort. Lol

Posted

[quote name='homeschoolmom' timestamp='1353340765' post='2512954']
Of course, then we should ask, "Why are heels considered dressy, and flats less so?" Why do they complete the package in a way that flats do not seem to? Why are they more esthetically pleasing?
[/quote]

haha i have no idea. perhaps it is how i was raised but heels with an outfit denoted dressiness, and flats were dressing down.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...