An Old School Catholic Message Board

For Modesty Sake!

Annie12

IcePrincessKRS

Dust really didn't give me enough props to be able to fully participate in this thread.

[quote name='MissyP89' timestamp='1353336049' post='2512931']
For the sake of playing devil's advocate, I'ma use this quote as a scapegoat. Hopefully this will generate some interesting discussion.

So given that heels do all that amazing stuff to your (well, a woman's; I would hope you don't wear heels, Yosef :|) butt, couldn't they in some sense be compared to wearing low-cut shirts with lots of cleavage?

They accentuate and draw attention to certain parts of the body in a way that says "look at me!" Isn't that immodest?
[/quote]

I would argue that most outfits aren't going to be tight enough to clearly show off what's going on under a pair of slacks or a nice skirt if a woman is wearing heels. Sure, there are plenty enough people out there wearing outfits that have every strike against them, but why should that stop a woman from wearing heels and a nice modest dress to Mass? Because her calves might show? I don't think that is a strong enough case.

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1353338741' post='2512948']
hrm. i honestly don't know what to say in response. i don't think that my mom's generation of women thought about this. high heels were just a way to complete the "package" of a dressy outfit. when i wear high heels, it is a way of completing my dressy outfit (and showing off my amesome taste in shoes). (not to mention that a lot of women's dresses and slacks are pretty long and almost require high heels to make sure the dress or slacks don't drag on the ground.)

does wearing high heels have a side effect of what you mentioned? sure. but if you're too scrupulous, anything and everything can be an occasion of sin. (not to mention that being too scrupulous has a pretty detrimental effect on your spiritual life.)
[/quote]

I was going to prop this but I ran out.

ETA: I am one of those shortish women who can't wear a nice pair of dress slacks without A) altering them or B) wearing heels.

Edited by IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1353348508' post='2513005']
My wife has this one pair of shoes that just brags and brags.
[/quote]

You have wife? No way!

[quote name='the171' timestamp='1353349115' post='2513014']
Teh moar you know, teh moar you trollz.
[/quote]
Yeah, but not about this.

HisChildForever

[quote name='missionseeker' timestamp='1353295352' post='2512720']
If heels are immodest, then I'm a shameless whore.
[/quote]

According to the modesty threads on Phatmass, so am I. :)

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1353349265' post='2513018']

Yeah, but not about this.
[/quote]

I believe you! I just can't believe it... If that makes any sense.

Well, I bet you have a lovely family!

Edited by the171

[quote name='HisChildForever' timestamp='1353349368' post='2513020']

According to the modesty threads on Phatmass, so am I. :)
[/quote]

If I wear my cute sleeveless (not strapless) dress, then I must be a dirty stripper.