An Old School Catholic Message Board

Planned Parenthood Changes Its Stripes

add

Planned Parenthood of upstate New York will be changing its name and disaffiliating itself from the national organization. Its new name will be Family Planning

The Board of Directors says the change is being made because the Planned Parenthood Federation has mandated that all affiliates provide abortions by next year.

The upstate New York Planned Parenthood doesn't offer abortion services and instead refers women to regional doctors.

Does the name change make anyone feel better about having free and unfettered abortion health centers in a neighborhood near you?

Basilisa Marie

At least this way the group in question is moving away from being an abortion center and more towards being a center for a multitude of "reproductive services."  Planned Parenthood makes a big stink about promoting the image that they're just here to provide reproductive health services to women, not simply abortions.  Well, it seems like "Family Planning" is actually moving to promote reproductive health services for women, instead of centering it's work on abortions.   It's putting their money where their mouth is, unlike the "parent" company.  

It's good because it shows that "Family Planning" is more interested in giving women what women want, not giving women what Planned Parenthood wants.  In the pro-choice/pro-life war, it's a move from the pro-choice side toward the center.   

If I went into a Planned Parenthood for a reproductive check up because I'm a poor student and can't afford anywhere else, I would be belittled for my choice to abstain from sex before marriage and thought to be stupid for not being on the pill.  On the other hand, if I went into "Family Planning," it seems like it'd be more likely that me and my beliefs would be treated respectfully.  And that's the first step in any kind of dialogue - people have to listen to each other first. 

I mean, maybe I'm giving Family Planning too much credit.  But ANY shift away from the abortion-promoting ways of Planned Parenthood is a step to be celebrated, in my opinion.  

Basilisa Marie

a tiger doesn't change its stripes

So we're going to completely right off these guys, even though they're dovetailing with a very hardline pro-abortion organization?  Even Benedict XVI said that when HIV positive prostitutes used condoms, that was a sign of the stirring of conscience. If he could give them that much credit, why can't we do the same for these guys? 

Sad that some refuse to see the good in the situation. If, one by one, PPs across the country started to quit offering abortion services, I would imagine the number of abortions performed would drop noticeably and swiftly.

Sad that some refuse to see the good in the situation. If, one by one, PPs across the country started to quit offering abortion services, I would imagine the number of abortions performed would drop noticeably and swiftly.

Sad, it is sad,

Fact is these type of services, serve one purpose and that is to reduce and/ or Severely limit low income and minority populations from reproducing.
. Sad is the fact that the catholic church is tax except, except for financing all types of birth control including a morning after pill
What's sad is you don't see it for what it is
Sad, indeed Edited by add

Sad, it is sad,

Fact is these type of services, serve one purpose and that is to reduce and/ or Severely limit low income and minority populations from reproducing.
. Sad is the fact that the catholic church is tax except, except for financing all types of birth control including a morning after pill
Sad, indeed

Marxists are always such drama-queens  :hehe2:

Sad, it is sad,

Sad, indeed

So, let me get this straight:

You believe that it's a sad thing that a Planned Parenthood branch is disassociating with the organization because it doesn't want to perform abortions? Is this what you're saying? Please clarify if it is not.