An Old School Catholic Message Board

Planned Parenthood Changes Its Stripes

add

Local Planned Parenthood Changing Name, Not Services

The Planned Parenthood clinic, said it would not be good management to provide the services already available locally.

"There's no need for us to be duplicating services that are already adequately and well provided locally.  The center's political stance on the abortion issue is not changing.

"Nothing is changing but the name," she said, "The same services, the same high quality medical and educational services, the same staff, the same leadership, the same locations."

Basilisa Marie

Local Planned Parenthood Changing Name, Not Services

The Planned Parenthood clinic, said it would not be good management to provide the services already available locally.

"There's no need for us to be duplicating services that are already adequately and well provided locally.  The center's political stance on the abortion issue is not changing.

"Nothing is changing but the name," she said, "The same services, the same high quality medical and educational services, the same staff, the same leadership, the same locations."

Actually, no, things are changing.  It's a subtle difference, and I understand how that can be hard for some people to appreciate. 

What they're saying here is PR so they don't lose business.  They're speaking in a language their clientele understands. 

Planned Parenthood is emphasizing it's primary objective of providing abortion services.  Family Planning has decided that it's primary objective is not abortions, but health and education services.  

KnightofChrist

http://healthland.time.com/2012/10/05/study-free-birth-control-significantly-cuts-abortion-rates/

Or if women had better access to health care, sex education, and contraceptives.  

http://esciencenews.com/articles/2012/10/04/abortion.rates.plummet.with.free.birth.control

If only there were some organization out there that focused on such matters

Of course there are also studies that show that increase use of contraceptives increases the abortion rate. http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/new-study-links-contraception-hike-with-increased-abortions

KnightofChrist

Actually, no, things are changing.  It's a subtle difference, and I understand how that can be hard for some people to appreciate. 

What they're saying here is PR so they don't lose business.  They're speaking in a language their clientele understands. 

Planned Parenthood is emphasizing it's primary objective of providing abortion services.  Family Planning has decided that it's primary objective is not abortions, but health and education services.  

If the clinic is changing nothing but it's name, what is there to be happy about? It will still refer women to get abortions the same way it did before, how does changing nothing but the name decrease abortion referrals?

If the clinic is changing nothing but it's name, what is there to be happy about? It will still refer women to get abortions the same way it did before, how does changing nothing but the name decrease abortion referrals?

I’m afraid you’re right, it is like calling abortion, pro-choice or woman's healthcare. 

Bottom line is whatever it is there called, them places are in the business of prematurely ending human life.

Basilisa Marie

Well, okay, clearly I was mistaken. 

This is a "let's bash Planned Parenthood to make ourselves feed good" thread.

I thought it was a thread discussing the name change. 

My bad. 

KnightofChrist

My bad. 

Yeah that's it... or maybe it's a let's talk down to people who don't get all happy happy joy joy over a empty and hollow name change that doesn't mean jack.

I'm still happy that a facility is not starting to offer abortions. Yes they still refer abortions, but at least I can be happy that they aren't upgrading from referals to performing them.

Basilisa Marie

It's disaffiliating with the company.  It decided that it would rather break from the group than offer abortion services themselves.  It's a small victory, and should be recognized. It means that some members of Planned Parenthood decided that providing other services are more important to them than providing abortions, while the parent company believes providing abortions is paramount. 

Not everything has to be a giant flashy win in the culture wars.  An army has to stop advancing before it can be pushed back. 

I'm still happy that a facility is not starting to offer abortions. Yes they still refer abortions, but at least I can be happy that they aren't upgrading from referals to performing them.

Slappo gets it. 

My bad.

I don't feel good about this charade. Planned parenthood is evil

KnightofChrist

It's disaffiliating with the company. It decided that it would rather break from the group than offer abortion services themselves. It's a small victory, and should be recognized. It means that some members of Planned Parenthood decided that providing other services are more important to them than providing abortions, while the parent company believes providing abortions is paramount.

Not everything has to be a giant flashy win in the culture wars. An army has to stop advancing before it can be pushed back.

The good I can see is overshadowed by unchanged evil, because it's not a victory, it is at best a stalemate, nothing won, nothing changed but the name. It's good, in a empty sense, they didn't start murdering babies on site, but they'll still arrange for babies to be murdered elsewhere. Their active role in the culture of death continues unabated and unchanged.

Basilisa Marie

*off topic*

the C.S. Lewis quote in your siggy feels a little bit gnostic yo

That's because it is.  :)