Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Writing Love Letters To Your Future Spouse


Recommended Posts

Posted

Miles.

 

Breatheeeeeeeeee.

 

This is the internet. This is Phatmass. There are lots of opinions and lots of feelings and sometimes folks are going to say stuff that irritates you. Let it slide. If this makes you happy and it's building you up, then do it. Keep praying about it. Revisit the issue now and then to make sure your heart is still in the right place. It'll be OK.

 

Now be nice.

Posted

Welp, I said what I want. :wave:

 

12162__safe_twilight-sparkle_animated_fi

PhuturePriest
Posted

Miles.

 

Breatheeeeeeeeee.

 

This is the internet. This is Phatmass. There are lots of opinions and lots of feelings and sometimes folks are going to say stuff that irritates you. Let it slide. If this makes you happy and it's building you up, then do it. Keep praying about it. Revisit the issue now and then to make sure your heart is still in the right place. It'll be OK.

 

Now be nice.

 

I know. But usually when people disagree on this stuff they aren't being total jerk wads.

 

I am praying about it, and I know my heart is in the right place. It's doing a lot of good for me, and I know it will pay off. After getting advice from a married woman, I've decided all of this talk of getting an unrealistic expectation of who my wife is is silly. She said her husband was a lot like me, and all of his friends would make fun of him over stuff like this, but now he's married and most of them are not, so she advised taking his lead.

 

And as for being nice:

 

31056298.jpg

Posted

Dude, what the flip-floppity is your problem? What I write to my future wife is my beaver dam business. I want to do this for my wife. I feel like I should. I feel like she will appreciate it. I don't give a beaver dam if you do because, news flash: You're not my future wife. I don't care if you appreciate it or not.

 


What throws me off is that you're referring to your wife like she's already your wife. What if you don't get married? That does happen sometimes you know.

PhuturePriest
Posted


What throws me off is that you're referring to your wife like she's already your wife. What if you don't get married? That does happen sometimes you know.

 

It's easier than saying "my future wife". And if I don't get married? Then the journal rots away. No big deal.

IcePrincessKRS
Posted

I'm aware you are a girl. But I never spoke to you about it, therefore you are not in the list of girls I have spoke to about it. You are the only girl not to find it romantic and sweet. I like those odds. The guys don't like it, but seeing as how I am not marrying a man, I don't think it's a problem if guys don't like it.

 


Make that two. I don't mind the idea of a journal or something written in very generic terms "I did this today so I can be a better person for my future wife if I should happen to get married", but specifically "to my future wife" is a little odd to me. I don't think I would have been super excited to receive that on my wedding night.

 

Take my opinion and preferences with a grain of salt, though. Like Missy said, if this is working for you then keep on keeping on. Maybe you won't give them to whoever you end up marrying, if you end up marrying, but for now it's helping you spiritually so no real reason to stop, right?

PhuturePriest
Posted


Make that two. I don't mind the idea of a journal or something written in very generic terms "I did this today so I can be a better person for my future wife if I should happen to get married", but specifically "to my future wife" is a little odd to me. I don't think I would have been super excited to receive that on my wedding night.

 

Take my opinion and preferences with a grain of salt, though. Like Missy said, if this is working for you then keep on keeping on. Maybe you won't give them to whoever you end up marrying, if you end up marrying, but for now it's helping you spiritually so no real reason to stop, right?

 

It's okay if you particularly wouldn't have been excited. I can say with certainty that I am not going to marry you, so I can't see it ever being a problem. :P But I have a particular type in girls, and part of it is them being super girly and loving this sort of romantic stuff. I know a lot of girls that do, so I don't see why it's a big deal.

 

I can't see myself not getting married (Unless I become a Priest or something). I'm just not suited for the single life. But yeah, it's helping me, so there's no real reason to stop. Maybe there are some letters I will cross out and not show her, maybe I'll end up with an entire journal and say "Hey, congratulations on marrying me, read up!" :P

Posted

What I write to my future wife is my beaver dam business.

And what you put on the internet is everyone's business.
Posted

Is Jason Evert married?

PhuturePriest
Posted

And what you put on the internet is everyone's business.

 

People are free to give an opinion, but to tell me that I'm making a mistake when you don't know my intentions or anything about me is ridiculous.



Is Jason Evert married?

 

Married with five (Or is it six) children.

Posted (edited)

I'm aware you are a girl. But I never spoke to you about it, therefore you are not in the list of girls I have spoke to about it. You are the only girl not to find it romantic and sweet. I like those odds. The guys don't like it, but seeing as how I am not marrying a man, I don't think it's a problem if guys don't like it.

 

I'm a girl. I don't find it romantic and sweet. I find it sappy. If a man read that to me on my wedding night, I'd think him desperate and rather pathetic. (Which would really upset me, cuz by that point, I'd have married him.)

 

You said you've been thinking of your future wife for a long time, yes? Weren't you just discerning the priesthood a few months ago?

 

If you say it works for you, and helps you, then do it. But you posted about it in a public forum. People are going to give their opinions. Clearly this is not the balance of opinions you expected. But I think you can still learn something important from this: People with a lot of experience in relationships think it's a bad idea. Maybe their personalities are just different from yours.

 

Or maybe they're right.

 

If you take their advice, you learned to be corrected. If you don't, you strengthened your character.

 

Either way, you win.

 

Yay! ;-)

Edited by curiousing
PhuturePriest
Posted

I'm a girl. I don't find it romantic and sweet. I find it sappy. If a man read that to me on my wedding night, I'd think him desperate and rather pathetic. (Which would really upset me, cuz by that point, I'd have married him.)

 

You said you've been thinking of your future wife for a long time, yes? Weren't you just discerning the priesthood a few months ago?

 

If you say it works for you, and helps you, then do it. But you posted about it in a public forum. People are going to give their opinions. Clearly this is not the balance of opinions you expected. But I think you can still learn something important from this: People with a lot of experience in relationships think it's a bad idea. Maybe their personalities are just different from yours.

 

Or maybe they're right.

 

If you take their advice, you learned to be corrected. If you don't, you strengthened your character.

 

Either way, you win.

 

Yay! ;-)

 

This is the last time I'm going to post (Or one of the last times, anyway), but here's a last crack at trying to explain it.

 

What these letters DO NOT look like:

 

"I love you. You are brighter than a thousand suns, and I love you so much. I dream of walking with you on a beach and singing Broadway musicals softly in your ear."

 

What these letters look SIMILAR to:

 

"I just learned that I graduated high school. I'm so proud of myself, and I did it for you. I hope to build upon this success so I can make a bright future for us. It was so hard graduating, but I am glad I went through the struggle. I did it out of love and respect for you."

 

What part of that screams desperate and pathetic?
 

Posted

This is the last time I'm going to post (Or one of the last times, anyway), but here's a last crack at trying to explain it.

 

What these letters DO NOT look like:

 

"I love you. You are brighter than a thousand suns, and I love you so much. I dream of walking with you on a beach and singing Broadway musicals softly in your ear."

 

What these letters look SIMILAR to:

 

"I just learned that I graduated high school. I'm so proud of myself, and I did it for you. I hope to build upon this success so I can make a bright future for us. It was so hard graduating, but I am glad I went through the struggle. I did it out of love and respect for you."

 

What part of that screams desperate and pathetic?
 

 

To my eyes, the part where you say that you accomplished a major achievement in your life for someone who may not exist, rather than for yourself and God. It's certainly admirable to strive for success for the sake of one day being a good family man, but I would like to see in my husband a little motivation to develop himself for hisself's sake.

 

FP, what if, in 5 years, you realize you are in fact called to the priesthood or the brotherhood? Will you then look back on all the things you accomplished for the sake of a non-existent spouse as pointless, a waste of time? Dude, be where you are right now, and enjoy the moment. Do things for their own sake, because you have a moral duty to, or because you think it will make you a better person, or just because you think it a worthy goal—not for the sake of some ideal future.

Posted (edited)

i'd just like to chime in as the voice of another female of dating age who doesn't find this sweet or romantic. kind of weird actually. 

 

just curious, how old are you?



oh, you're sixteen....that explains it. you're not getting married or becoming a priest anytime soon, so...anything you're going to write now is probably going to be pretty embarassing when you're twenty something and getting married ;)

Edited by loveletslive
PhuturePriest
Posted

To my eyes, the part where you say that you accomplished a major achievement in your life for someone who may not exist, rather than for yourself and God. It's certainly admirable to strive for success for the sake of one day being a good family man, but I would like to see in my husband a little motivation to develop himself for hisself's sake.

 

FP, what if, in 5 years, you realize you are in fact called to the priesthood or the brotherhood? Will you then look back on all the things you accomplished for the sake of a non-existent spouse as pointless, a waste of time? Dude, be where you are right now, and enjoy the moment. Do things for their own sake, because you have a moral duty to, or because you think it will make you a better person, or just because you think it a worthy goal—not for the sake of some ideal future.

 

Let me give you some of my back story, Curiousing. When I was fourteen years old, I couldn't tell you what five times five was. I didn't even know what that meant. I felt a call to the Priesthood in February of 2011, and I started studying. Two years later exactly, all by myself I went from not knowing what five times five is to now knowing how to do algebra, and being a good student that is going to graduate either this year or next year (This year would be two years early, and next year would be one year early). I did that by myself. Nobody told me to, nobody suggested it to me, I just opened up books and did it. I am developing myself into what I want to be: A dedicated husband that will do anything for his wife. Do you think I want to spend tomorrow juggling a job and learning algebra? Heck no. But I'm doing it. Do you think I want to take the SAT's and go to Benedictine for a minimum of four years at $30,000 a year just because? If you do, you don't know a thing about me. I'm doing these things for my wife. If I did them for myself then I simply wouldn't do it. But that's the thing: These things are NOT about me. They are about my wife. I'm building a future for my wife, not for me. It is all about her and God and what God wants for me in my life. To say I'm not enjoying the moment is laughable. I feel more alive and motivated to become an all A student than ever. I have never once wanted to become an all A student until now, and it's because of my future spouse. God has done wonderful things for me, and I have never been more thankful to Him for my life which was unfortunate and full of problems than now.

 

Am I called to become a husband or not? Vocationally, I have discerned with the guidance of a religious Sister that God most likely does not want me to be a Priest or join the religious life. The thought of being a Priest was terrible for me. It caused anxiety and depression, and the thought of going to the seminary for more than a two day trip was a nightmare for me. But the thought of getting married and having children was unreal. I felt happiness, joy, fulfillment, and I felt as if I could do so much more for God that way, which is what our vocations are for, right? So yeah, maybe I am called to be a Priest, anything is possible, after all. But in recent times God has been quite clear with me on what He wants me to do, so I'm doing it. I hope you can respect that.
 

Posted

But I have a particular type in girls, and part of it is them being
super girly and loving this sort of romantic stuff. I know a lot of
girls that do, so I don't see why it's a big deal.

You may not see it, but you are setting up an ideal of what your future spouse will be like. It may be that God calls you to marry a woman who doesn't have a romantic bone in her body. Life (and marriage) are full of surprises!

 

"I just learned that I graduated high school. I'm so proud of myself,
and I did it for you. I hope to build upon this success so I can make a
bright future for us. It was so hard graduating, but I am glad I went
through the struggle. I did it out of love and respect for you."

Whether you marry or never marry, you should strive to for success for the love of God.

 

I agree with everyone else who've said that you're wandering into dangerous territory with these letters. Trust me, it's far better to receive letters from your actual spouse! I'm writing a letter to my hubs right now. :love:

Posted

FP,

I'm quite concerned by these posts, and I'm going to be honest.

 

This time last year, you were fixated on the idea of becoming a priest, and you talked about it as though it were an absolute certainty. You didn't say it made you anxious or depressed; you said it was your true fulfillment in life, and anyone who so much as hinted that you might not end up a priest was accused of thinking negatively of you just because you're young.

 

Then you went through a period of some personal growth and maturity, and were able to acknowledge that you weren't so sure about priesthood anymore.

 

Now you seem to be reverting to exactly the way you were, only the focus has shifted from priesthood to marriage. Same black-and-white thinking. Same insistence that you must be right because Jason Evert said XYZ. Same obsessiveness.

 

When I read that you couldn't multiply five by five at the age of fourteen, my concerns only increased. If this is true, then rather than writing letters to a hypothetical wife I think you need to be having some honest open communication with your family about why you were able to reach your teens without even a basic education, and addressing any other problems that may exist there.

 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...