An Old School Catholic Message Board

Life After College 3: More Rants And Revelations

MissyP89

So I talked it all out with L because she overheard me at my desk. And she's laughing hysterically. She got me to laugh, too.

129030517778353542.jpg

Brian, I LOVED ^^^^^  

What is this?

And as far as the odd 'Cray' thing.... I think it might be chairs?   What IS it / ARE they, ARFink?

Playing Wii Tennis and Boxing in a skirt. Because I can. #honeybadger #toughwitchesdon'tcare

Can you explain how

CrayXnIOP.jpg

functions as a supercomputer?  I still think it looks like a bank of futuristic chairs...

I guess it is binary in terms of colors.....

Edited by AnneLine

It should look like a chair. Those outer portions are upholstered and meant to be sat or knelt upon. Because the system was so revolutionary, they didn't have the same high-speed PCB designs we have nowadays, so they had to use shielded cabling to connect the cores to the memory bus and so on. And these needed to be as short as possible to eliminate losses and keep power consumption and "crosstalk" to a minimum. So you had to get up to your elbows in this thing to work on it, and the bench on the outside was more of a necessity just to get to certain portions of the machine when you had the top off, so you could have a safe place to stand or kneel.

EDIT: Also, yes, they did that because it looks absolutely amazing in the computer room. Cray has always made very handsome computers. ^_^

Edited by arfink

Thank you!  THAT makes sense!  It explains my gut sense that 'this is in the form of chair' ... accurate perspective!

I do wonder about uh... technician safety...  having that much energy that close to very delicate reproductive organs......

sounds like a BAD idea....

Or am I worrying about nothing?

That said, most of the time, Cray operators didn't care too much about looks, they just needed to be able to get at the hardware as fast as possible, and most of them ran without their cases much of the time:

CRAY_install.jpg

And... a lot of it looked like this, too.....

r13192m.jpg

Missy, also makes me think of the Lou Grant episodes with the VERY early newspaper CRTs....

lou1.jpg

Lou is waiting to interview with an old pal for a job that he doesn’t understand will be city editor of the Tribune. Asked to wait, he turns around and comes face to screen with one of those CRT’s that, before too long, would replace the clattering typewriters in the newsroom, but for then was sitting, blank and mute, on a table outside the managing editor’s office.  He pauses.  He bends over.  He reaches to tap its keyboard. (I can’t seem to tell if it’s a Harris or an Atex or an Ontel or some other animal entirely.  He can’t seem to tell if touching it will singe his fingertips.) He looks up at the ME’s secretary, grins sheepishly, and walks away from this “machine,” as he refers to it shortly thereafter.

Before long, in the tradition of large metro newspapers everywhere, he is ensconced at the city desk without the benefit of a moment’s further training beyond that which he brought in the door minutes earlier.  He doesn’t need to be schooled in using that ungainly box, because the skills of his trade are working the phone, smelling the news, and flipping an underreported, overwritten story back at a hotshot reporter.

The good news is, those skills are still important; they are not going to come and go like the ungainly, literally dumb terminal Lou was inspecting above. (Of course, you don’t need quite as supple a wrist for the flipping part as you used to, if you’re quick on the double-click.) I’m thinking I’ll be reminded of other skills not to forget when I fire up the Hulu desktop for Episode 2, perhaps even before another couple years have passed.

Full article here:  http://owenyoungman.com/tag/chicago-news-cooperative/

One of the interesting unintended subplots of that series (very well done, btw....) was watching the typewriters slowly disappearing and those things moving onto the desks.... exactly paralleling what was happening in offices at the time....

Edited by AnneLine

Brutal day in politics. SB5 didn't pass and DOMA and Prop 8 got struck down.

My initial reaction was to feel weird, but the more I thought about it, the more it makes sense. This world is not our own. Sin rules here. And no matter what people believe about the end times and the Second Coming, the Bible is clear about one thing: it's going to get bad before it gets better.

We shouldn't be surprised that the world's moral compass is failing, not improving.

FutureCarmeliteClaire

Brutal day in politics. SB5 didn't pass and DOMA and Prop 8 got struck down.

My initial reaction was to feel weird, but the more I thought about it, the more it makes sense. This world is not our own. Sin rules here. And no matter what people believe about the end times and the Second Coming, the Bible is clear about one thing: it's going to get bad before it gets better.

We shouldn't be surprised that the world's moral compass is failing, not improving.

EXACTLY.