Tufsoles Posted March 28, 2013 Posted March 28, 2013 I don't know if she will come back. It is a tragic loss.
HisChildForever Posted March 28, 2013 Posted March 28, 2013 She won't come back. Learn your lessons. Charity among brothers is not optional. At some point on Phatmass, people will annoy you, and you'll annoy people. Just like in real life. But at the end of the day, you're still loved, respected, admired, and accepted.
4588686 Posted March 28, 2013 Posted March 28, 2013 At some point on Phatmass, people will annoy you, and you'll annoy people. Just like in real life. But at the end of the day, you're still loved, respected, admired, and accepted. I don't know what you're talking about.
arfink Posted March 28, 2013 Posted March 28, 2013 At some point on Phatmass, people will annoy you, and you'll annoy people. Just like in real life. But at the end of the day, you're still loved, respected, admired, and accepted. Oh, I'm sure by some people here. But there comes a point where, after years of mistreatment and exposure to dismissive attitudes you do have to draw the line. Catherine drew that line, and several of our members here crossed it. Also, at the time this was happening, I heard very few voices trying to offer any kind of concern or understanding towards Catherine. That does indeed cross the line from mere annoyance to something more destructive. Of course, being merely annoying is no excuse either.
HisChildForever Posted March 28, 2013 Posted March 28, 2013 I don't know what you're talking about. ...in other words, it was one squabble on one thread. No one's opinion of her has changed. She's still wanted here and will always be wanted here.
HisChildForever Posted March 28, 2013 Posted March 28, 2013 Oh, I'm sure by some people here. But there comes a point where, after years of mistreatment and exposure to dismissive attitudes you do have to draw the line. Catherine drew that line, and several of our members here crossed it. Also, at the time this was happening, I heard very few voices trying to offer any kind of concern or understanding towards Catherine. That does indeed cross the line from mere annoyance to something more destructive. Of course, being merely annoying is no excuse either. I've been on and off Phatmass for a few years now, and that was the first time I ever saw her opinion attacked.
HisChildForever Posted March 28, 2013 Posted March 28, 2013 I don't know, I guess people do react differently. I've been in a number of heated arguments here, many I now take responsibility for, but I think it's helped me grow and for that I'm thankful. I just want to be a positive member of this community.
4588686 Posted March 28, 2013 Posted March 28, 2013 ...in other words, it was one squabble on one thread. No one's opinion of her has changed. She's still wanted here and will always be wanted here. I was just trying to make light of my past prickish behavior towards you.
Tufsoles Posted March 28, 2013 Posted March 28, 2013 I have seen her opinion attacked a couple times but I can't give you specific examples besides the recent one.
Tufsoles Posted March 28, 2013 Posted March 28, 2013 Oh BTW, I agree that no one's opinion of her has changed.
dominicansoul Posted March 28, 2013 Posted March 28, 2013 CatherineM COME BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I do get her witty comments every time she posts on FACEBOOK, but that's just not the same... :( )
HisChildForever Posted March 28, 2013 Posted March 28, 2013 I was just trying to make light of my past prickish behavior towards you. Oh lol. Well you know I behaved in the same way, and it's all water under the bridge. :)
HisChildForever Posted March 28, 2013 Posted March 28, 2013 Posting on a forum should be fun and enjoyable, not stressful.
dominicansoul Posted March 28, 2013 Posted March 28, 2013 Who made her mad? I will ban them. Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI did...
AnneLine Posted March 28, 2013 Posted March 28, 2013 There have been a number of posts since I started this reply. dUSt, why not PM her and ask her? I am sure she would answer the question. Beyond that....Sometimes the humor isn't that funny after a point, guys. Teasing and banter at this time in this thread may not be appropriate. Sometimes we don't realize we have hurt people when we say things. And sometimes arguing someone into the ground can have an effect like what has happened with CatherineM. There's a story about a monk who was a wiz at argumentation, who after a long argument, succeeded in defeating his brother monk. The abbot's comment was, "Brother, you won the argument, but you lost your brother." Exactly. I'm not saying any of you caused the breach, but I think that a BIG HURT happened. If someone is quiet online, it doesn't always mean assent... it can mean very, very hurt. I think CatherineM got very, very hurt.... and I don't think people realized it then... and I think some don't realize it now. But a lot of us do, and we aren't sure what to do about it. And sometimes there are things going on behind the scenes that don't show up on a thread... but can make a huge difference in how things are taken that are seen on line. I don't know exactly what happened with Catherine, but I do remember a few times when things happened to her that were NOT on Phatmass, but that resulted in her making a very firm decision to not continue in those relationships. My bet is that is what is going on. And it saddens me. This kind of disconnect feels to me like the brokenness that occurred in the Garden of Eden. No one thought that one was such a big deal at the time, either.... It's interesting tome that the Triduum is when this is coming up. Repairing the disconnect is the reason Jesus was Incarnated.... it is very much a part of Jesus choice to become one with us to repair the breach between humans and the Trinity. I'm praying for the breach to be repaired.... dUSt, perhaps it is your role to reach out? Praying for all of us....
Lil Red Posted March 28, 2013 Author Posted March 28, 2013 (edited) For my part, I'm sorry, Catherine. P.S. I didn't start this thread to joke, or to argue. Just to express my sadness that Catherine isn't here anymore. She's funny, she's kind, she has pointed arguments, and she's awesome. I miss all of that. Edited March 28, 2013 by Lil Red
MIKolbe Posted March 28, 2013 Posted March 28, 2013 Who made her mad? I will ban them. i think it was you
Apotheoun Posted March 28, 2013 Posted March 28, 2013 I thought she had stopped posting for Lent, but based upon her last post it does not look that way.
Lil Red Posted March 28, 2013 Author Posted March 28, 2013 Who made her mad? I will ban them. read this thread: http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/126989-pope-benedict-resigning/ people, myself included, were upset with how Catherine felt: http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/126989-pope-benedict-resigning/?p=2543022 I'm sorry that I didn't try hard enough to see where Catherine was coming from.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now