An Old School Catholic Message Board

Things That Have Dumbed Down Our Culture

Kateri89

I blame lazy parents who make excuses for their kids rather than holding them accountable for their actions.  These crazy parents blame teachers when their kids fail a class!  Thanks to G.W.Bush's No-Child-Left-Behind policy, many teachers are pressured into handing out passing grades.

I went to public school, watched plenty of TV, including The Simpsons, but my parents set high standards for me and made sure that I did my work.  They never asked if I wanted to go to college, they asked which scholarship I was applying for.  They made me take piano lessons.  They knew all of my friends and my friends' parents.  They knew my teachers and my guidance counselors.  They made sure that I was more afraid of them than of my peers.  My parents never tried to be my friend, they disciplined me.  My mom dragged me to church when I didn't feel like going.  They sacrificed their own desires to give me a better life and reminded of that fact whenever I started to act like and entitled brat.  They instilled in me a sense of responsibility.  My parents did that while I watched a ton of TV and went to public school.  Best parents ever.

All of this describes my parents too.   :)

And I have a burning hatred for No Child Left Behind and how it's transformed an entire generation into being spoonfed the answers, or the school loses funding.  I've had people show up at my office or e-mail me being extremely upset because they didn't know what I wanted in an OPINION assignment, because the answer wasn't laid out in the book. 

The Simpsons.

Vatican paper lauds Simpsons for realistic portrayal of faith.  Not best portrayal, but still.  :P  (Note:  My parents wouldn't let me watch The Simpsons growing up.  I didn't until I was 18.)

Edited by BG45

Not letting kids get dirty. No unstructured play means not learning to use your imagination. I once got reported to child services because I had let my boys play in the mud during a rain. Social worker sat and made mud pies with them while she asked them questions. Then she asked me if I wanted to take in a couple of her other foster kids.

Tosh.0
Adele
VOICE
Rachel Maddow
Young Democrats
Desperate Housewives

Shut your fat mouth about Desperate Housewives. Have you ever even watched a full season???

PhuturePriest

Not letting kids get dirty. No unstructured play means not learning to use your imagination. I once got reported to child services because I had let my boys play in the mud during a rain. Social worker sat and made mud pies with them while she asked them questions. Then she asked me if I wanted to take in a couple of her other foster kids.

All my life, my sister and I had a tradition of running out barefoot as it poured down rain. We loved playing in it barefoot. Not once did we ever get sick, and we actually do it to this day, except now we put on music and dance instead of play.