An Old School Catholic Message Board

Things That Have Dumbed Down Our Culture

Kateri89

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Condoms,Credit cards and the illusion of fantasy.

Edited by Tab'le Du'Bah-Rye

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

And capitalism. Which has always been a threat to any society where the people start relying on material wealth to keep them happy. It has been seen before and we are seeing it again.

jazzytakara

I'm not sure if it is the same elsewhere, but I know that many Ontario Public Schools make it impossible for children to fail. Not because they are providing amazing education, but because standards have been lowered to allow struggling students to graduate High School. My younger sister dropped out of college in her first semester, as she was unable to read or write properly. She also has limited knowledge of history, for instance WW1 and WW2 might as well be fiction to her. It is really sad that many students were pushed through their education without ever having anyone work to teach them. My other sister has a genetic disorder and the education she received in Elementary School was useless. She essentially had to learn everything in High School. She had '0+0 and 0x1' math every year for instance. The most she learnt was to boil hot dogs every Wednesday in a hot classroom for the rest of the school. To this day, nearly four years later, she still hates Wednesday's. She has taken tests at Sick Kids in Toronto, and has a perfect photographic memory. She reads long novels, writes stories, and is an amazing artist. She is also one of the wisest people I know, just tonight she told me how sad it is that today's entertainment teaches girls that they need a boyfriend to popular and happy. She said that she just wants to be independent and happy on her own, creating art and writing stories, because no man can make her as happy as she can make herself. And this is from a girl that we were told would never make it in life, would never get through high school (she graduates next year), and would be highly dependent and incapable in her adult life. She may struggle at some things, but she is a wonderful and intelligent person. 

And this is what is dumbing down society. Our world now sees 'genetic disorder' and opts for an abortion (someone once asked if my mom would have aborted my sister had she have known about her syndrome). The view someone with a disability as incapable of learning and sweep them under the rug. If we actually gave everyone the education they deserved, we would have a much better society. The wrong values are being promoted by the media sadly, the right ones are silenced. So if our education system actually taught the children in schools, we would be so much better off. Instead many talented and intelligent people are abandoned, solely because they don't fit in with society's norms and idea of 'perfection'.

Smoking dope
Drunkenness
Sleep deprivation

You think smoking dope is bad? People who call it "dope" usually don't know anything about drugs.

A severe blow to our catholic culture is the existence of homophobic/ islamophobic "catholics". This is repugnant. I saw islamophobic comments earlier today. That is so ignorant. I thought this was a Catholic forum, and all I see is close mindedness and borderline racism. As members posing to be associated with the "Universal" catholic church, I find these racist and ignorant posts appalling. 

I'm not a "Church Militant" or anything, but this is common sense. Treat others with respect no matter how different their views. There is moral validity embedded in every religion. 

There will always be close minded people. I really hope the Catholic Church in America can progress past their stagnancy. 

Moral relativisim, i.e., the inability to accept that certain activities are contrary to the moral norm and cannot be approved of in the name of political correctness. For example, people who claim that it is "homophobic" to point out that homosexual activity is gravely immoral and that the homosexual condition is a moral disorder (see the CDF Instruction Homosexualitatis Problema, no. 3) are dumbing down the Catholic faith.