An Old School Catholic Message Board

Bg's Random Ramblings And Thoughts 3

BG45

My father is not a man who often shows much in the way of deep emotion.  Combine that with the fact that he only got a cell phone after the power was out around town for 4 days after a storm and realized they might be useful in emergencies...and you get my surprise at seeing "Dad" pop up on the ID of the person who called me just now.  I don't think I've heard him sound so listless and shaken in a while.  He was calling to tell me it was his friend's son, but the guy hasn't talked to their other mutual friend or himself yet.  He mentioned his youngest brother, who died when I was 4 a number of times in the call, and saying that sometimes you can do all you want to try and help people, but that it won't straighten out their lives.  That sometimes people choose their own path and it ends really bad.

Perhaps most surprising of all to me, he told me he was proud of me and that he loved me, more than once.  To give context, I don't think he's told me he's proud of me more than half a dozen times since my teen years and almost doubled it in this phone call.  He thanked me for never getting into drugs and for going for an education instead.  

Oh, BG, this is SO HARD.  I will hold your father, his friend, you and ALL those involved in this in my  prayers and heart in a special way today.

I'm glad your cell phone was there to connect your father to you today.  I'm glad your father told you those things, and I'm glad he was able to use words.   :heart:   Words are powerful.  So are actions, but sometimes it is important to hear the words.  :console:

Edited by AnneLine

Thanks TheresaThoma and AL.  And I was glad to hear the words too; as my best friend put it, "Sounds like he realized he could lose you". :(

Swallowed my pride and e-mailed the Applied Research Lab on campus to see when they're open (they have been every summer I've been here) tomorrow...automated e-mail, due to budget cuts, they're not open until the 3rd.....of September.  I can't wait a month for help on my survey.  I'm desperate, just e-mailed a colleague who worked for them and offered him a consulting fee to help me revise my survey. 

BG, this has just been a horrible week for you!   Prayed extra hard for you at Mass today, and getting others to do so.....

Thanks AL, happy to hear that!  :)  Hit wall on diss. for the day, so uploading tests now.  Also M. from AMS that thought I was such a condescending person full of false chivalry is apparently dating someone now.  I wish them both the best, I'm just glad it's not me.

Thanks AL, happy to hear that!   :)  Hit wall on diss. for the day, so uploading tests now.  Also M. from AMS that thought I was such a condescending person full of false chivalry is apparently dating someone now.  I wish them both the best, I'm just glad it's not me.

Speaking of hitting a wall, when I saw this I thought of this article I saw earlier today.  http://makezine.com/2011/03/31/make-volume-25-the-art-of-productive-procrastination/

And I don't see how anyone could think that about you.  Those accusations are so far off from anything I've ever seen that it's confusing.  

That's an amesome article...been trying something similar, though instead of a useful project, it's been exercising.  At least I can help my body if not my mind....lol.  And God bless him, MATLAB programming is just so beyond me that it would take a miracle for me to learn it, dunno if you enjoy comp programming though (if you do, props to you!).

Thanks too.  I can be condescending at times, but didn't think I was when visiting.  As for false chivalry, I was doing the dishes after each time we ate without being asked, helping to cut the veggies, etc. so I didn't think it was...heh.

---

Going to try to upload tests to D2L.  If I'm right, I should have it all done by then.  (It being one of my two courses.)

Edit:  In really hard questions I try to give one answer that can automatically be crossed out as a no.  Some examples of what that option can be:

• The Court of Ma'at.  (What are the odds of crim. students knowing a lot about the ancient Egyptian afterlife mythologies?)
  • Hijra.  (An answer on a gender question.  Actually a word in Urdu in Pakistan that's a third gender besides male and female.)
  • The NSA is watching you take this test.   (On a 4th Amendment question...on an online test.)
  • The District Gerrymanderer
  • All-knowing Attorney Alliteration

You watch Morning Joe, right? My cousin Leigh (you don't know her; she's much older than me) is gonna be on there tomorrow. :)

Edited by MissyP89

^^ Props.

I've never watched Morning Joe, but maybe I should before I go in!  What station is it?  (Please don't say MSNBC, my Comcast doesn't have that.)

--

Cleaning for a houseguest.  Fortunately, and AL will be proud of me, I've kept up most of the little cleaning!  :)  So it's more like "wash my dishes from last night and clean the toilet".

I'm sorry then... :(    

I have (news channel wise):  CNN, Fox News, HLN, BBC World News, PCNC (A Pittsburgh news channel), Current, and CNBC.

What's she on the show for?

That's an amesome article...been trying something similar, though instead of a useful project, it's been exercising.  At least I can help my body if not my mind....lol.  And God bless him, MATLAB programming is just so beyond me that it would take a miracle for me to learn it, dunno if you enjoy comp programming though (if you do, props to you!).

Thanks too.  I can be condescending at times, but didn't think I was when visiting.  As for false chivalry, I was doing the dishes after each time we ate without being asked, helping to cut the veggies, etc. so I didn't think it was...heh.

---

Going to try to upload tests to D2L.  If I'm right, I should have it all done by then.  (It being one of my two courses.)

Edit:  In really hard questions I try to give one answer that can automatically be crossed out as a no.  Some examples of what that option can be:

• The Court of Ma'at.  (What are the odds of crim. students knowing a lot about the ancient Egyptian afterlife mythologies?)
  • Hijra.  (An answer on a gender question.  Actually a word in Urdu in Pakistan that's a third gender besides male and female.)
  • The NSA is watching you take this test.   (On a 4th Amendment question...on an online test.)
  • The District Gerrymanderer
  • All-knowing Attorney Alliteration

I love those.  And yay exercising! No, programming is completely beyond me.  I'd say it's like Greek, but I'm hoping to be able to understand (Ancient) Greek someday.  :(