An Old School Catholic Message Board

Bg's Random Ramblings And Thoughts 3

BG45

missionseeker

:wave: 

congrats on the new power. and office. and power that goes with THAT office. 

BG....

Don't know if you heard about this over last week, but when I heard of it, dUSt was still in the midst of selecting new Phatmass Mods.   Strikes me that the mods are kind of like the 'bishops' of Phatmass, yes?   Pope Francis was being reported as giving guidelines for the nominations that Apostolic Nuncios would be making for priests who might make good bishops..... and it made me think about the qualities for good mods... and to pray for dUSt and for the mods, even as we do for the bishops and the Pope who selects them....

Here's an article about it from the Irish press:  http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0621/458115-pope-bishops/

I think there is a lot for the mods and dUSt -- and for all of us! -- to pray about in that article. 

I've highlighted a few things from the talk; the full text is linked... 

(Note:  Pope Francis was speaking to the Apostolic Nuncios):

We are pastors! And that we must not ever forget that! Dear Papal Representatives, be the presence of Christ, be a priestly presence, as Pastors. Of course, you will not teach a particular portion of the People of God entrusted to you, you will not guide a local church, but you are Pastors who serve the Church, with the role to encourage, to be ministers of communion, and also with the not always easy task of reprimanding. Always do everything with deep love! Even in relations with the Civil Authorities and your Colleagues you are Pastors: always seek the good, the good of all, the good of the Church and of every person.

In the delicate task of carrying out inquiries for episcopal appointments be careful that the candidates are pastors close to the people, fathers and brothers, that they are gentle, patient and merciful; animated by inner poverty, the freedom of the Lord and also by outward simplicity and austerity of life, that they do not have the psychology of "Princes". Be careful that they are not ambitious, that they do not seek the episcopate - volentes nolumus - and that they are married to a Church without being in constant search of another. That they are able to "watch over" the flock that will be entrusted to them, take care to keep it united, “vigilant” of the dangers that threaten it, but above all that they are able to "watch over" the flock, to keep watch, imbue hope, that they have sun and light in their hearts, to lovingly and patiently support the plans which God brings about in His people. Let us think of the figure of St. Joseph, who watches over Mary and Jesus, of his care for the family that God entrusted to him, and the watchful gaze with which he guides it in avoiding dangers. For this reason Pastors must know how to be ahead of the herd to point the way, in the midst of the flock to keep it united, behind the flock to prevent someone being left behind, so that the same flock, so to speak, has the sense of smell to find its way.

Text from page http://en.radiovaticana.va/news/2013/06/21/pope_to_nuncios:_be_pastors_who_carry_christ_to_the_world/en1-703615

of the Vatican Radio website

If it is useful, BG, enjoy it... otherwise... not!

Praying for all of you.....

The best part is that dUSt didn't even know Phil's has yeeears of mod experience under his belt already. Well qualified and not heavy-handed.

brianthephysicist

BG....

Don't know if you heard about this over last week, but when I heard of it, dUSt was still in the midst of selecting new Phatmass Mods.   Strikes me that the mods are kind of like the 'bishops' of Phatmass, yes?   Pope Francis was being reported as giving guidelines for the nominations that Apostolic Nuncios would be making for priests who might make good bishops..... and it made me think about the qualities for good mods... and to pray for dUSt and for the mods, even as we do for the bishops and the Pope who selects them....

Here's an article about it from the Irish press:  http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0621/458115-pope-bishops/

I think there is a lot for the mods and dUSt -- and for all of us! -- to pray about in that article. 

We are pastors! And that we must not ever forget that! Dear Papal Representatives, be the presence of Christ, be a priestly presence, as Pastors. Of course, you will not teach a particular portion of the People of God entrusted to you, you will not guide a local church, but you are Pastors who serve the Church, with the role to encourage, to be ministers of communion, and also with the not always easy task of reprimanding. Always do everything with deep love! Even in relations with the Civil Authorities and your Colleagues you are Pastors: always seek the good, the good of all, the good of the Church and of every person.

In the delicate task of carrying out inquiries for episcopal appointments be careful that the candidates are pastors close to the people, fathers and brothers, that they are gentle, patient and merciful; animated by inner poverty, the freedom of the Lord and also by outward simplicity and austerity of life, that they do not have the psychology of "Princes". Be careful that they are not ambitious, that they do not seek the episcopate - volentes nolumus - and that they are married to a Church without being in constant search of another. That they are able to "watch over" the flock that will be entrusted to them, take care to keep it united, “vigilant” of the dangers that threaten it, but above all that they are able to "watch over" the flock, to keep watch, imbue hope, that they have sun and light in their hearts, to lovingly and patiently support the plans which God brings about in His people. Let us think of the figure of St. Joseph, who watches over Mary and Jesus, of his care for the family that God entrusted to him, and the watchful gaze with which he guides it in avoiding dangers. For this reason Pastors must know how to be ahead of the herd to point the way, in the midst of the flock to keep it united, behind the flock to prevent someone being left behind, so that the same flock, so to speak, has the sense of smell to find its way.

Text from page http://en.radiovaticana.va/news/2013/06/21/pope_to_nuncios:_be_pastors_who_carry_christ_to_the_world/en1-703615

Wow that's awesome!

brianthephysicist

BG....

Wow that's awesome!

Isn't that a neat article/post, Brian? 

SO much in there to think & pray about... for me as a Catholic even tho NEVER to be a bishop.  It gives me such good guidelines on how to be a good leader..... a good 'pastor' in so many areas of my world....

Thanks all!  Right afterward, my mother came for a visit.  We've been cleaning (and went to Hershey Park).

Awesome article btw!  I love it, and I love the idea of seeking out Bishops who don't necessarily want to be.  Recently, one of our Monsignors became the Bishop of another part of PA; the thing is, everyone who knew him, knew he never wanted to be a Bishop.  Which is exactly one of the main reasons he was chosen.  Not playing politics.

It was good.  I hope you get the chance sometime, I think you'd like it! 

We went on a Thursday, so it wasn't a peak day.  I think the longest we waited in line was 2 rides worth.  We rode everything we did at least twice (except the Chocolate World rides).  Mostly old but good stuff like The Scrambler, the Whip, Tilt-A-Whirl (should you find yourself there, car number 5 is the one with the best spin), Reeses Xtreme Challenge (it's a laser tag like ride where you shoot targets as you ride and they pit you against one another via Team Chocolate and Team Peanut Butter).  I think we did Music Express 5 times lol.  Oh and ZooAmerica is connected to the park, so you can go in there for free.  It's made up of animals indigenous to the Americas.  We watched the prairie dogs for a while and, funny enough, the geese as they managed to climb through a small waterfall.

It downpoured as we left.  And Chocolate World, the massive gift shop is pretty neat too.  Stuffed toys of the mascots of the big Hershey candies, and every chocolate you can think of. Every. Chocolate. Seriously. Melissa. Every. Chocolate.  I think you'd be in Heaven. ;) 

Oh man. I have no idea.

p.s. I don't do tilt-a-whirls. I turn green. lololol

Edited by MissyP89

Oh sorry!  Then definitely avoid it and car 5.  :|  But otherwise, I think you and Brian would have an amazing time if you went!

Just realized...today is the 150th anniversary of the beginning of the Battle of Gettysburg.  It wasn't the bloodiest battle of the Civil War, but it essentially decided the fate of the United States.  There were so many good men on both sides, some survived and some did not.  Either way, it was the high water mark of the Confederacy.

I think one of the most haunting lines of the battle (allegedly) would come from the Confederacy. Lee's ordering of Pickett to gather his division for a defense after the infamous charge, only to have Pickett reply, "General Lee, I have no division."  I've stood both at the Union lines and at the point where the Confederates began their charge...it's amazing to me that any of the Confederates made it across that long open field. 

So many good people died 150 years ago over these next couple of days, on both sides.  Though it would be nearly two years later, after 600,000 American lives had been lost, this dreadful anniversary makes me think of a quote by General Grant at Appomattox Courthouse.  His men began to cheer as the defeated Confederates marched by and he snarled at his Union soldiers to be quiet and saluted the former enemies, stating, "The Rebels are our countrymen again".  That moment would have never existed as it did, without Gettysburg.

BG, you can have my ride tickets as well.  NO appeal to me, none.

BUT I would love to have had a chance to spend some time at Hershey..... we travelled through it... but didn't have time to stay there... because we were due in at Gettysburg that evening!

Thank you for the reminder about the Gettysburg battle.  I can't be sure but I am pretty sure I had family members in both sides of that war... and wouldn't be at all surprised if there were at least some of them there.   I found being at Gettysburg to be a profound experience... and will make a point of praying the Office of the Dead over the next few days.

And... going upstairs to grab The Killer Angels (Michael Shaara's masterful novel of the battle) to read between now and the 4th.  How often does one get to read something literally on its 150th anniversary!   Thank you for the reminder!!!!