An Old School Catholic Message Board

Bg's Random Ramblings And Thoughts 3

BG45

I also use 'trololol' when something is ironic, wry, mischievous or not actually funny.

Phil, Galante's gone. He retired in the winter. I think I'm gonna ask Brian's chaplain to adopt me as his spiritual daughter. rofl. After Fr. L. left, I don't get close to priests anymore. It's easier when they leave.

Edited by MissyP89

Love how Butters schooled the Goth kids.

Missy, ah didn't realize he was!  So it's just you have really bad luck with confessors being reassigned x.x  I really am sorry to hear about it!

My friend's bday was good.  Managed to surprise him with a cake too!  His wife had him take out the dog while I snuck in the back door with it. :P 

Got my student evals back.  About 95% Strongly Agree/Agree on all the good things.  Negative comment wise is mostly I need to be more stern and tell people to shut up.  Good comment wise, people enjoyed discussions, slides being online, test reviews, and the use of real world examples. 

About to e-mail someone on AMS who went inactive before I was about mail her, with the stuff before M.  The woman's profile is active again, so might as well try.

I'm not sure if it's bad luck or just the way things work around here. Parochial vicars (aka assistant pastors) tend to have 3- or 4-year assignments and then get shuffled. They get assigned knowing approximately how long they'll be there.

I also found out recently why Monsignor has been with us for ages. His parents (now just his mom) are very old and ailing, so he has asked to remain here, where they live, so he can care for them. He lives with his mom in town, not at the rectory. Makes a lot of sense.

And good work on the evals.  :winner:

Thank you for the translations and etymology lesson on troll, trololo and lol.   Think I get it better now.  I couldn't figure out why Missy was saying I was trolling you... but I think she explained her nuanced troll/lololo very well.   ;)  Dont' want to offend nobody!

See... And.... see... in my old world, THIS is a troll: 

(NOTE:  This one is clothed with mary-like clothes becuase most of 'em don't wear no clothes.   NO Phatmassers were harmed/horrified in the posting of this troll)

il_570xN.248196425.jpg

On the priest-reassignment thing.... the diocese standard out here is 6 years for pastors with a possible repost for another 6.

Generally they try to leave the vicars around that long to... but we are running short on pastor-able priests, so sometimes the vicars get 'rolled' into a pastorate.... and that sometimes means they need to vicar-juggle as well.

HOWEVER, in a parish like mine, run by an Order, literally the coin gets tossed every year, and significantly bounced around every three years when they have their elections.   BECAUSE... the tradition among the Dominicans is that any house can request ANY friar in ANY province all over the world as their prior.  So.... that could mean that, bungie zombie like, a poor friar can get swooped out of his vicarate and flapped half-way across the planet to be a prior.  We have had it happen about 4 times in the last decade.... a big pain. AND sometimes there are enough spare bodies to drop a new vicar in... and sometimes we just have to tighten our belt until the next election.....

brianthephysicist

I think I should have been more explicit about linking these two:

I also use 'trololol' when something is ironic, wry, mischievous or not actually funny.

Phil, Galante's gone. He retired in the winter. I think I'm gonna ask Brian's chaplain to adopt me as his spiritual daughter. rofl. After Fr. L. left, I don't get close to priests anymore. It's easier when they leave.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_G1lj8MBRpQ

Brian, gotcha!  Sorry for misunderstanding.

Missy,  that works then, I guess.  And that totally makes sense for monsignor and I'm glad that he's such a caring man and able to take care of his mom like that.  It says a lot about his character and his own servant's heart.  Thanks on the evals! :)

AL, that sounds awful, with the musical chairs of Vicars...

So another gem coming out of the school board at home apparently.  They decided there's no need for ANY reading textbook adoption.  Teachers can "find the materials themselves" to teach students, which won't go over well when all the copies are made of worksheets and stories for everything, I'm sure.  Nor will it go over that there's now no standard set on where kids need to be at what point of the year...which is even more important given they got rid of ABCDF and replaced it with "Meets expectations" "Needs improvement" etc.  The teachers are like "So what expectations is that?"

Edit:  Brian, Truthfinder, Adrestia, do we ever have to decapitate our predecessors for a job in academia do you think?

671_10151776387030934_1420880032_n.jpg

Edited by BG45

truthfinder

BG13

Edit:  Brian, Truthfinder, Adrestia, do we ever have to decapitate our predecessors for a job in academia do you think? 

Lol, I hope you don't mean that literally, and I don't even know if I'm answering your question.  Hmm, well sometimes when I'm thinking about the future, I think of the positions in Canada which might open up around the time I'd be looking for a position (a lot less universities in Canada than the US - if you're lucky, you get one professor teaching my field in any given university, and sadly fewer universities see my era of Canadian history as important and so some universities have no one teaching my time frame) and then going, well, they could retire anywhere from next year to twenty years in the future.  I think this is why some universities force professors to retire.  

Now, on theories and such, yes, we will have to 'decapitate' our processors - but maybe with the dignity of a medieval execution, rather than a blood bath.  

truthfinder

Just realized I wrote "processors" instead of predecessors - totally had computer on the brain. 

No worries on the comp-brain!  And I didn't mean it too literally...though my old roommate and I once wondered how different academia would be if it operated under the rules of Highlander.  "I claimed Dr. Y's head and therefore I get his power, his knowledge, his tenure, and his publications!"

Ack, that doesn't sound good on the job front, sorry folks seem to have less interest in the period of history you're doing. :(  Fortunately, my field seems to be booming...well, let me rephrase "Depending on your point of view it is fortunate or unfortunate my field is booming".  

Crime rates on the decline for almost 30 years?  BUILD MOAR PRISONS NAO AND MAKE MORE THINGS ILLEGAL!  *sigh*

truthfinder

Well if I offed my supervisor I might get his calm attitude but his knowledge, while impressive, isn't quite in the same area - so I'd rather have him alive and able to bounce ideas off him.

The job market is pretty bad when even the professors tell us as much - maybe we're eternal optimists working in fields of pessimism, idk.  Some of us have plans to move to private sector/ non-academic jobs if academia fails us.

Well if I offed my supervisor I might get his calm attitude but his knowledge, while impressive, isn't quite in the same area - so I'd rather have him alive and able to bounce ideas off him.

The job market is pretty bad when even the professors tell us as much - maybe we're eternal optimists working in fields of pessimism, idk.  Some of us have plans to move to private sector/ non-academic jobs if academia fails us.

Hmm, calm is good, but I can see where you might like having a mentor instead of a Highlander-esque trophy.  And there's nothing wrong with being an eternal optimist!  Goodness knows there are few enough optimists in the world.

That moment when you're about to run this place...

Ack, no thanks.  I don't have the patience (nor time probably) to deal with what Dust does.

Roamin Catholic

Dude, it's not that bad..most days you don't get any reports which = no work. And if there are reports and mods disagree? We do nothing which = no work!

Which in turn leads to people going "but the mods do nothing!" lol.

Watching Date Night with Tina Fey and Steve Carrell, I forgot how some of the lines are.
"You have no idea what it's like to be a young girl having your first period under Taliban rule!"
"Uh...neither do you."