Papist Posted June 13, 2013 Posted June 13, 2013 You made me laugh. Though the Eagles do seem to have certain trouble with law, their players at least... Also a very applicable quote for the NSA stuff from Justice Louis Brandeis in his dissenting opinion in the 1928 U.S. Supreme Court case Olmstead v. United States: I was referring to the fact that when they build Veteran's Stadium, they built a jail in it and during Eagle's games there is a magistrate to process the people.
BG45 Posted June 13, 2013 Author Posted June 13, 2013 I was referring to the fact that when they build Veteran's Stadium, they built a jail in it and during Eagle's games there is a magistrate to process the people. ...I...no, I don't have anything to say to that. Didn't realize. AL, yep. So...saw 5:07am thanks to the lightning and thunder. :P Interesting school board meeting at home apparently. Many of the members were pushing for online only math texts. One member took a tiny bit of issue with this due to the tiny fact that his end of the county has no ISPs that service them and the schools, teachers, and all the students would be unable to access the online text adoption if it went through, essentially destroying a large chunk of standardized math education in his section of the county. They decided they'll "maybe look into finding the money somewhere in the budget" for actual books.
BG45 Posted June 13, 2013 Author Posted June 13, 2013 Folks I'd like to give a shout out to the only person in Parking Services who isn't apparently jaded. K. got me a parking pass for the summer after only 4 days of polite inquiry and explaining all I'm doing before my contract takes effect. :)
BG45 Posted June 14, 2013 Author Posted June 14, 2013 Good news everyone. In a totally not related to the massive spying scandal where the NSA reads everything America writes or speaks over a phone, the Obama administration is finally announcing they can confirm Assad has been using chemical weapons in Syria and announced we'll be providing military aid.
BG45 Posted June 14, 2013 Author Posted June 14, 2013 Darn, beyond edit timeframe: France's LeMonde reporting last month that their reporters had witnessed chemical weapons usage in Syria firsthand.
BG45 Posted June 15, 2013 Author Posted June 15, 2013 Army Times: New Xbox "a sin against all service members". A piece by the Army Times, the U.S. Army's official newspaper, stating that X-Box One has single handedly alienated the entirety of the world's militaries prior to its release. Region locking means no care package games. The net connection means it can't be used in most nations where combat occurs. The always on microphones and cameras are too big a security concern to allow them in military installations. Microsoft essentially told dissenters "you can still play 360".
BG45 Posted June 15, 2013 Author Posted June 15, 2013 My roomie from the first year in the doc program just posted to FB, his baby Alexander Hiroto was born!!!! Saw the only photo so far and Alex is one cute baby!! :bounce:
BG45 Posted June 15, 2013 Author Posted June 15, 2013 We had a couple at Mass celebrating their 67th wedding anniversary!
AnneLine Posted June 15, 2013 Posted June 15, 2013 I just misread your last 2 posts mushed into one, BG. I was wondering how your roommate from college could be having a first baby and a 67th marriage anniversary! 8)
MissyP89 Posted June 16, 2013 Posted June 16, 2013 Hey Phil, my confessor got reassigned today. Trolololololololol. :|
BG45 Posted June 16, 2013 Author Posted June 16, 2013 I just misread your last 2 posts mushed into one, BG. I was wondering how your roommate from college could be having a first baby and a 67th marriage anniversary! 8) Hehe, I can see where that would be a bit weird to wrap the mind around! :) Hey Phil, my confessor got reassigned today. Trolololololololol. :| You all either have the most reassignments ever or somehow you made Bishop G. angry years. ago. :| In all seriousness though, sorry that you had yet another confessor you got close to end up reassigned.
AnneLine Posted June 16, 2013 Posted June 16, 2013 That's frustrating, Missy. It takes awhile for the relationship to build. Hey... could somebody translateth is for old AL? It shows up in too many different contexts for me to figger out: Trolololololololol.
arfink Posted June 16, 2013 Posted June 16, 2013 That's frustrating, Missy. It takes awhile for the relationship to build. Hey... could somebody translateth is for old AL? It shows up in too many different contexts for me to figger out: Trolololololololol. Troll + LOL [media]http://youtu.be/2Z4m4lnjxkY[/media]
AnneLine Posted June 16, 2013 Posted June 16, 2013 (edited) OK... And Troll? Again, some nuances? Is it like 'I got you, but good!'? Or 'I saw that'? Generally is it a positive or negative thing.... or just situational. I can't quite get it, altho that video is hilarious.... Edited June 16, 2013 by AnneLine
arfink Posted June 16, 2013 Posted June 16, 2013 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_%28Internet%29 In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is someone who posts inflammatory,[1]extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as a forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[3] The noun troll may also refer to the provocative message itself, as in: "That was an excellent troll you posted."
MissyP89 Posted June 16, 2013 Posted June 16, 2013 (edited) I also use 'trololol' when something is ironic, wry, mischievous or not actually funny. Phil, Galante's gone. He retired in the winter. I think I'm gonna ask Brian's chaplain to adopt me as his spiritual daughter. rofl. After Fr. L. left, I don't get close to priests anymore. It's easier when they leave. Edited June 16, 2013 by MissyP89
brianthephysicist Posted June 16, 2013 Posted June 16, 2013 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_G1lj8MBRpQ
BG45 Posted June 18, 2013 Author Posted June 18, 2013 Love how Butters schooled the Goth kids. Missy, ah didn't realize he was! So it's just you have really bad luck with confessors being reassigned x.x I really am sorry to hear about it! My friend's bday was good. Managed to surprise him with a cake too! His wife had him take out the dog while I snuck in the back door with it. :P Got my student evals back. About 95% Strongly Agree/Agree on all the good things. Negative comment wise is mostly I need to be more stern and tell people to shut up. Good comment wise, people enjoyed discussions, slides being online, test reviews, and the use of real world examples. About to e-mail someone on AMS who went inactive before I was about mail her, with the stuff before M. The woman's profile is active again, so might as well try.
MissyP89 Posted June 18, 2013 Posted June 18, 2013 I'm not sure if it's bad luck or just the way things work around here. Parochial vicars (aka assistant pastors) tend to have 3- or 4-year assignments and then get shuffled. They get assigned knowing approximately how long they'll be there. I also found out recently why Monsignor has been with us for ages. His parents (now just his mom) are very old and ailing, so he has asked to remain here, where they live, so he can care for them. He lives with his mom in town, not at the rectory. Makes a lot of sense. And good work on the evals. :winner:
AnneLine Posted June 18, 2013 Posted June 18, 2013 Thank you for the translations and etymology lesson on troll, trololo and lol. Think I get it better now. I couldn't figure out why Missy was saying I was trolling you... but I think she explained her nuanced troll/lololo very well. ;) Dont' want to offend nobody! See... And.... see... in my old world, THIS is a troll: (NOTE: This one is clothed with mary-like clothes becuase most of 'em don't wear no clothes. NO Phatmassers were harmed/horrified in the posting of this troll) On the priest-reassignment thing.... the diocese standard out here is 6 years for pastors with a possible repost for another 6. Generally they try to leave the vicars around that long to... but we are running short on pastor-able priests, so sometimes the vicars get 'rolled' into a pastorate.... and that sometimes means they need to vicar-juggle as well. HOWEVER, in a parish like mine, run by an Order, literally the coin gets tossed every year, and significantly bounced around every three years when they have their elections. BECAUSE... the tradition among the Dominicans is that any house can request ANY friar in ANY province all over the world as their prior. So.... that could mean that, bungie zombie like, a poor friar can get swooped out of his vicarate and flapped half-way across the planet to be a prior. We have had it happen about 4 times in the last decade.... a big pain. AND sometimes there are enough spare bodies to drop a new vicar in... and sometimes we just have to tighten our belt until the next election.....
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now